Lifter Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
JG cam kit w/ tune
Labor
Gaskets
Timing chain
Spark plugs
Valve job
Circle D TC

$6200 after Amsoil switch. + $1200 parts /labor if I squeeze in the JBA LT's.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, Ive done a ton of research on here and and taking action now while my engine is young... Just ordered my Redline 5w 30 and royal purple filter.
Very nice , now that's proactive !

Fantastic choice of oil and filter Sir .

You have done all you can , so long as you keep using this combo ....this isn't a 100% but imo your doing the best u can [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank You for the reply, this pops my bubble somewhat but i will have to settle on a couple of other things,

1. It was a bad batch of lifters, (faulty)
2. I believe as many do that 5w-20 a little thin for the hemis. (Although fine for many other engines)
3. Possible lots of idling.
4. Possible metal temper strength, (lowest on my list of believing)
5. Or just a random hit and miss failure.

I don't believe the MDS has anything to with it as some failures are on engines without it, also some lifters aren't seized on the MDS cylinders.

Whatever the true cause, we may never know but all of us on this forum reporting the issue are doing the absolute best thing in a situation like this, so that we may all try the things we think may help, keep us updated with the results and what i think is the coolest is that there are many different people, trying many different things, maximizing our chances of success. Good job every one.

My experiment is 5.75 or so quarts of 5w 20 PP and 24 oz of pure synthetic lucas oil stabilizer. Has absolutely fixed the lifter tick and makes me feel good, so i will continue this for a while. I may go to 5 quarts of 5w 30 PP and one quart of 5w 20 which will bring it close to 5w 30 but not quite. I know others may disagree with a couple of these methods, but it just another avenue to try that somebody may not have. On second thought im going to do more research on mixing weights.

Don't give up in #4 so quickly. I have thought this was the problem for some time. Has anyone measured push rods from a ticking motor? My Hemi started ticking at 26K. Slight start up tick and light lifter tick until warm then it goes away. My theory is #1, lifter bleed down causing the start up tick, #2, valve train slack that goes away when the metal parts expand from heat. While ticking, the rocker "hammers" the push rod and actually shortens it. Completely uneducated opinion.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't give up in #4 so quickly. I have thought this was the problem for some time. Has anyone measured push rods from a ticking motor? My Hemi started ticking at 26K. Slight start up tick and light lifter tick until warm then it goes away. My theory is #1, lifter bleed down causing the start up tick, #2, valve train slack that goes away when the metal parts expand from heat. While ticking, the rocker "hammers" the push rod and actually shortens it. Completely uneducated opinion.

Actually a post somewhere, they did measure the pushrods and were different lengths. So i may be in a small state of denial. Im also trying to be optimistic in spite of some damning evidence i suppose.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually a post somewhere, they did measure the pushrods and were different lengths. So i may be in a small state of denial. Im also trying to be optimistic in spite of some damning evidence i suppose.

Are you rebuilding with factory push rods?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
No not rebuilding, just doing all the research i can to take the appropriate action now while my engine is young ( 12,000K) to try to avoid the dreaded lifter failure. Or at the least keep it at bay as long as possible.

Me to, running 5w30 Redline with the larger RP filter plus a FilterMag .
Plan on doing the filter relocate with a oil cooler at the same time on my next oil change.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hope to keep this truck a loooooooong time, my redline will be here by this weekend. Not going to go crazy until my warranty is over then i may venture out with some things, making a long term list already, headers and a tune possibly. Catch can end of the year. Once its paid off it will be my long term never ending project.

DoubleB223

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe this happen to me with my 2010 Ram, only problem was I was 9 hours from my home on vacation. My truck started to misfire and sputter at about 30% throttle, the dealer told me that my #8 cylinder wasn't compressing and thats what was causing the misfire. Had I not been 9 hours from home I would have towed the truck home and replaced the cam, but I ended up just getting a 17' ram and It ****** me off every time I think about it.

Land Surveyor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has been an interesting discussion. My 2015 Ram is at Ram House right now getting cam and lifters replaced. 92,000 miles. Under warranty. At 5000 miles the rack and pinion had to be replaced. Overall I’ve been very disappointed with it. I drove Fords all my life but bought the Ram because I got Hemi fever. But this will be my last. I’m going to take this lemon in to some other poor schmuck as soon as I get it back.

Regarding CAFE standards, I don’t buy it. I only see a remote connection to fuel standards and Ram quality. CAFE has been on the books since 1974 and all manufactures are on the same playing field. It’s not even a Dodge truck anymore despite what Fiat says. It’s a mashup of American, German, Italian design and god knows what else. It’s a global Frankenstein product. And it’s a poor product.

George W Bush is the president who set very high CAFE standards before he left office and hung it around Obama’s neck. So to sit here and blame Obama for Rams poor quality is an insult to intelligence. Yes, Obama enforced high standards. Yes, it’s probably an unfair burden to Dodge/Ram. But historically, CAFE standards are bipartisan. And the law makes it easy to swap credits around if you can’t meet design standards.

I bought the Ram because it was inexpensive compared to Ford. And I really think this is the problem. It’s a cheap truck at a cheap price. But in the end, it catches up with you and they pretty much all cost the same. This is the same for anything. It’s just not a truck for someone who is not a gear head.

I used to be a Lanwboy 2-cycle fanatic. I loved tearing it down and keeping it running and holding on to my 2-cycle polluter, but then I realized, I was getting old and don’t want to spend my life keeping the antiques running. I just bought my first non-American mower. I was ashamed at first, but got over it PDQ. Likewise, if Ram wants to continue to make hot rod trucks with a Hemi motor that still in design phase, then you have to expect poor quality and you’re going to pay for it. I say no thanks.