Lifter tick on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 with 5.7 with 90K has lifter tick for a good five to eight seconds after a cold start in cold weather such as 20°F. It does then go away. Is this a big deal? I get my oil changed and they put in Gulftec synthetic whatever weight it calls for. I think you also get a better quality filter with the full synthetic oil change but I'm not sure. Thanks

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look up hemi tick lubrication and oil filter thread, but if it only happens once at cold start in morning it could be piston slap, something way different then lifter tick.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try a better oil/additive package and go from there. I would try PUP 5w30 with some Biotech lubegard and see if that helps. Or if you dont mind some extra $$ try redline 5w30 and a RP 20-820 filter.
Well worth the 27 minute watch time.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look up hemi tick lubrication and oil filter thread, but if it only happens once at cold start in morning it could be piston slap, something way different then lifter tick.
Yes, it sounds like lifters but I agree it could be piston slap. I'm not sure how much different they sound.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also could be a lifter bleeding down. Taps for a few seconds until it pumps back up. Not a problem if that's all it is.
Whatever is causing it it's definitely more than one.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
My 2017 with 5.7 with 90K has lifter tick for a good five to eight seconds after a cold start in cold weather such as 20°F. It does then go away. Is this a big deal? I get my oil changed and they put in Gulftec synthetic whatever weight it calls for. I think you also get a better quality filter with the full synthetic oil change but I'm not sure. Thanks
Going out on a limb here, but have you considered exhaust manifold leak? This is another common issue and makes a sound like a lifter but goes away as the manifold heats up and seals. Look at the exhaust manifold bolts to see if they're tight (or broken). Can't hurt to look . :33:

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Actually, I did have exhaust manifold leak but I have the manifolds, gaskets, and bolts replaced in the fall. You're right, It's hard to be sure but I think this may sound a bit different than the manifold leak I had.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Imo, 5w/20 is too thin of oil. I went to Red Line 5w/30 in my 2017 HEMI and it quieted it down and do not have any unpleasant noise at start up.

My HEMI also occasionally sounded as how you described yours, but was doing this with way less mileage than yours.

Worth a try?