Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nrm3247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got truck back from the dealershop rthis morning. I’m still under maxcare 60/100 7 year warranty. Told me they think it’s a connecting rod issue that Chrysler won’t repair until I have a total failure. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it. Truck has 44k miles on it and has been exclusively dealer maintained with early maintenance intervals. Its clean and has never been abused. I’ve towed a 6500lb travel trailer for about 10k miles and for the last year has been a driveway ornament with the exception of out of town travel or occasional weekend driving. Should I get another opinion or press Chrysler to do something. I can’t sell a truck to anyone if I know there’s a problem. I also love this truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you ask why they think it is a connecting rod issue? My guess, it isnt a connecting rod issue. However, the good news if it was a connecting rod issue which can have tick as a symptom, is that if it was a connecting rod issue you could expect it to fail along with a CEL rather sooner then later. What's the truth? Everyone, dealer and warranty company and everyone inbetween, surely knows what this is but they want the owner to eat the liability for it = 100% truth you just received. File a claim, watch how fast the change their tune, but that still doesnt solve the issue. This forum is littered with people who have changed their lifters and still have hemi tick after. I imagine if you got them to crack the engine they would pull all of the connecting rods only to see there is no issue, then if they are worth a bent nickle at least try and replace lifters, and then it would be hit or miss if that actually works. Most connected rod ticks happen after a lifter replacement, not just randomly like this, once a rod is seated and cupped right, chances they went out of whack out of the blue like this is rare. However, hemi lifter tick is NOT rare, but rather common. But they would rather throw you a red herring then tell you the truth because they are really sh i tty people in dealerships sometimes. So if they are correct and it is a connecting rod, dont worry failure is immanent. But how in the world can a connecting rod issue come and go like your video? I would love to hear that knee slapping excuse.

Read the threads in my sig, listen to 100's of ram owners that have went through this and even most of them who solved it without a wrench on the motor. Look at the polls.

Nrm3247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ask why they think it is a connecting rod issue? My guess, it isnt a connecting rod issue. However, the good news if it was a connecting rod issue which can have tick as a symptom, is that if it was a connecting rod issue you could expect it to fail along with a CEL rather sooner then later. What's the truth? Everyone, dealer and warranty company and everyone inbetween, surely knows what this is but they want the owner to eat the liability for it = 100% truth you just received. File a claim, watch how fast the change their tune, but that still doesnt solve the issue. This forum is littered with people who have changed their lifters and still have hemi tick after. I imagine if you got them to crack the engine they would pull all of the connecting rods only to see there is no issue, then if they are worth a bent nickle at least try and replace lifters, and then it would be hit or miss if that actually works. Most connected rod ticks happen after a lifter replacement, not just randomly like this, once a rod is seated and cupped right, chances they went out of whack out of the blue like this is rare. However, hemi lifter tick is NOT rare, but rather common. But they would rather throw you a red herring then tell you the truth because they are really sh i tty people in dealerships sometimes. So if they are correct and it is a connecting rod, dont worry failure is immanent. But how in the world can a connecting rod issue come and go like your video? I would love to hear that knee slapping excuse.

Read the threads in my sig, listen to 100's of ram owners that have went through this and even most of them who solved it without a wrench on the motor. Look at the polls.
Ended up taking the truck to another dealership a town over and when I called to check on it a week and a half later, the service manager told me they’d put a new crate motor in it and that they’d be done the next day. They blamed wrist pins and had scoped the cylinders finding scarring in #4 wall, which was where the noise seemed to come from. I’m shocked and a pleased. I’ve found a dealer I think I feel comfortable doing business with for now.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Ended up taking the truck to another dealership a town over and when I called to check on it a week and a half later, the service manager told me they’d put a new crate motor in it and that they’d be done the next day. They blamed wrist pins and had scoped the cylinders finding scarring in #4 wall, which was where the noise seemed to come from. I’m shocked and a pleased. I’ve found a dealer I think I feel comfortable doing business with for now.
That right there is a dealership giving you a reason to have some faith in dealerships lol. Also, glad they helped you. vehicle problems cause stress in life no one under a warranty should have to face.