Lifter tick or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is this a lifter tap/tick? Or is it a normal sound for the engine. I just had them all replaced along with camshaft. This sound only occurs after driving for about 20-30 mins.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KomQWCPmkiA?feature=share

Out of curiosity, did they have to pull the engine to do the cam swap?
My daughter had the lifter tick and various codes thrown, running rough, terrible gas mileage, failure of cylinder 3.
The shop said they had to pull the engine to swap the cam. Years ago, when things were much simpler, you could just remove everything in front of the engine and replace the cam with the engine still in place.
I should have drove up to the shop to confirm the engine was indeed out. One of those times I kick myself for being lazy!

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Out of curiosity, did they have to pull the engine to do the cam swap?
My daughter had the lifter tick and various codes thrown, running rough, terrible gas mileage, failure of cylinder 3.
The shop said they had to pull the engine to swap the cam. Years ago, when things were much simpler, you could just remove everything in front of the engine and replace the cam with the engine still in place.
I should have drove up to the shop to confirm the engine was indeed out. One of those times I kick myself for being lazy!
No I’m mine you can remove the the girl and I think bumper and you can remove the camshaft easily, they showed me all the old parts too when I arrived. But now I got that forbidden chocolate oil I did a oil change see if would change anything lmao

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
& I'm having to remember all the way back for to app.2011 when I left the dealership. & I started in 2003 or 4.
.... Yes the Hemi's had a Lifter tick.
.... & most wereon cyl. no 3 as I recall.
.... Most of ours only got 1 or 2 lifter as that was all warranty would pay for.
.... Several got new motors.. Sorry I don't recall whybut some got new Motors .
.... GOOD LUCK With this issue.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Seeing you oil I believe you do have internal issues .
..... I used Lucus oil additive in a little V6 Ford 2.9 Bronco II. One qt of that stuff & My lifter knock would go away . I used it most every Oil Change.
I used it for over 100,000 k miles ..& Sometimes i just got to putting half a qt in each oil change.. It still stopped my Tick on my ride.
I even put in different brands of oil & It made the tick on all brands of oil.
& I'd even leave it a half qt low.. Drive it about almost a week. With out the Lucus it knocked & But when I added the Lucus the tick went away.
But that doesn't answer that milky oil in yours.

Last edited:

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Doesn't sound like a rod bearing (knock) to me. Did the tick start after the cam and lifters were installed? Or did you hear it before the work? If you didn't have it prior to the work, then it's a lifter. If a lifter failed and now the new lifter is ticking, then that lifter may not be getting adequate oil. If inadequate oil, then it will also fail. Time to inspect all the new lifters.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen chocolate oil before. Yours looks like coolant in the oil. Head gaskets installed incorrectly, improperly torquede heads, or a crack head, maybe?

As others have commented, I'd return to the repair shop ASAP!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 80656 miles

jafgreen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cannot tell in the video, but my lifter tick has 189600 miles on it, still averaging 20.6mpg, all highway to work

Dginn69

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That definitely looks like coolant got into the oil. What is the shop saying? I agree with Oliver that the shop seems to have messed this up. Hopefully draining the oil will not be a problem. As they may try to deny responsibility.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did I miss the type/weight oil that was used?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was the oil control solenoid checked for metal fragments when the lifter wiped out the cam, sounds like lower end damage, milky oil means antifreeze in oil!!!

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Will be very interested to hear the outcome of this and what the shop has to say for themselves.
So the shop has it and called them about it, so they said they didn’t find any water in the oil “new oil that I’ve changed” so there doing a compression test in the radiator for confirmation of a leak. Then I mentioned the tick and how it only comes when the oil temp is about 180-200 and soon as you rev it just the slightest it disappears. They told me that’s an exhaust leak, and they’ll make sure all the bolts are tight. I highly doubt it’s an exhaust leak my opinion.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm sorry but that sounds more like a knock to me .. Like a Rod bearing. BUT WHAT DOES THE MECHANIC that did the Lifter replacement say about it.
They said it’s an exhaust leak and that they’ll make sure all bolts are tighten down lol….

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
ONE Of you Kids get us old timers some Popcorn & Fetch me one of those Barley Pops. I want to prop my feet up & see the end of this Movie.
Sorry to make light of your bad situation.. I loved my Hemi but they sure do have their share of problems.
Good Luck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
That Shop is hoping its just a loose bolt that they did not tighten properly.
Not a broken bolt.

None of that changes the oil looking so poorly issue.
When you get it back and everything is 'Good to Go', take it out for a drive.
Put about 50 miles or so on it, then change the oil.
If the oil looks good, then wait about 300 miles for an oil change.

If everything still looks good, then it was probably simply nothing more than the shop is inept and did not properly flush the engine AFTER they replaced the cam & Lifters.
Which, in & of itself, would scare the crap out of me, regarding the quality of their workmanship.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That Shop is hoping its just a loose bolt they did not titghten properly, in the fist palce, and not abroken bolt the btu none of that changes the oil idiscolouration issue.
Drive it another 50 miles adn pull the oil again. f no bad, go 100 to 200 miles then change it again.

could be the shop jsut did not proerply flush out the engine after teh replaced the cam, which , in and of itself, would scare teh crap out of me, regardign teh wuality of their workmanship.
Did you just get a new phone Gofishn,even standing on my head this is still not all that easy to make heads or tails of,lol

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Did you just get a new phone Gofishn,even standing on my head this is still not all that easy to make heads or tails of,lol
a P H O N E ?

I must take exception.
Those Hieroglyphs were made, using an ergonomic keyboard, connected to a desktop monitor, with the biggest darn monitor I can fit inside my Desks upper Hutch.
If I had ever used a smart phone for Posting here, the spelling would look like it came from a Drunk, texting on a Ship, during a Typhoon.

A P H O N E?

I turn my phone 'on' to make calls.
If ya ain't in my address book, it will not ring.
Not only that but it not make any noise, at all, unless someone from my address book, calls me.

texts?
Nope. No Noise, what-so-ever.
If ya can't be bothered to call, I can't be bothered to give two craps that you texted.

I have a smart phone, SOLELY so I can use NWS RADAR
Google it.

Put it on your homepage or whatever they call that screen on your phone when you bring it out of sleep mode.
It has saved my life, many times.

Middle of the Lake, "Oh, what's that? Look at those Clouds. Looks Bad. Think we should head to the boat ramp?"
No longer.

Now, we can sit and watch all the nervous Nelleys leave and catch their fish too.
or
We are the first ones, with our boat loaded up and pulling out of the water, as they all come hauling **** to the dock.

Use my Phone to see a website page?
Oh, he!! no.
Try to type on my Phone?
You see how bad I do when I use a Big honking keyboard.

See, when I was in High School, only Girls took Typing.
Couple guys tried to take Typing because, well, Girls took typing.
They even signed up for it but the Typing teacher made it plain, they were not getting into her class.
Though I do think there was boy, that took it, but he wasn't really a 'Boy'.
Super Nice Kid, never got any Grief, from anyone, but he was a different kid of guy.
Took P.E. with the Girls too.
Lucky bass-****

Now, I am self taught Typist.
Which means I got 2 fingers, T W O, that know how to type.
One of them is usually digging for treasure
OR
Making sure that skid mark, on my underwear, is good and brown, by digging in.

So, now, you know.

probably too much

EDIT:
I would like to point out. I took Time, made extra effort, even went back and proofed read it about 9,087,678 times, in oreder to present a clearn and concise replay, that based on this sites timer, took me exactly 31 minutes to create. EVEN with the Errors you see.

31 minutes, which, for me, seemed an Eternity.
'Darn fingers are sore,my knuckle joints are throbbing and, worst of all,
my Butt feels squishy because I've been farting and not wiping the extra fuel on my SKID MARK!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
a P H O N E ?

I must take exception.
Those Hieroglyphs were made, using an ergonomic keyboard, connected to a desktop monitor, with the biggest darn monitor I can fit inside my Desks upper Hutch.
If I had ever used a smart phone for Posting here, the spelling would look like it came from a Drunk, texting on a Ship, during a Typhoon.

A P H O N E?

Not only that but it not make any noise, at all, unless someone from my address book, calls me.

texts?
If ya can't be bothered to call, I can't be bothered to give two craps that you texted.

Google it.

Put it on your homepage or whatever they call that screen on your phone when you bring it out of sleep mode.

Middle of the Lake, "Oh, what's that? Look at those Clouds. Looks Bad. Think we should head to the boat ramp?"
No longer.

Now, we can sit and watch all the nervous Nelleys leave and catch their fish too.
or
We are the first ones, with our boat loaded up and pulling out of the water, as they all come hauling **** to the dock.

Oh, he!! no.
Try to type on my Phone?

They even signed up for it but the Typing teacher made it plain, they were not getting into her class.
Super Nice Kid, never got any Grief, from anyone, but he was a different kid of guy.
Lucky bass-****

OR

So, now, you know.

probably too much

EDIT:
I would like to point out. I took Time, made extra effort, even went back and proofed read it about 9,087,678 times, in oreder to present a clearn and concise replay, that based on this sites timer, took me exactly 31 minutes to create. EVEN with the Errors you see.

my Butt feels squishy because I've been farting and not wiping the extra fuel on my SKID MARK!
I don't care who you are,that was funny as helll.Best thing i've read in awhile :Big Laugh: :cheers:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a P H O N E ?

I must take exception.

A P H O N E?

texts?

Google it.

No longer.

or

Oh, he!! no.
Try to type on my Phone?

Lucky bass-****

OR

So, now, you know.

probably too much

EDIT:

I feel someone needs to take your keyboard away.......