Lifters, extended idle times, oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
so there are some benefits to 0w40 and if you use a stay in grade 0w40 then it is even better. 0w40 doesn't have the same rules as most 30 weight oils, so fca gets to use an api oil with heavy additives. Now, since redline isn't an api oil they get to have way more additives then even 40 weight api oils. head spinning yet?

Heavy additives are what can help alleviate start up tick. Those are left behind when the oil isn't there on dry starts.

Reactions: PCT

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
so there are some benefits to 0w40 and if you use a stay in grade 0w40 then it is even better. 0w40 doesn't have the same rules as most 30 weight oils, so fca gets to use an api oil with heavy additives. Now, since redline isn't an api oil they get to have way more additives then even 40 weight api oils. head spinning yet?

Heavy additives are what can help alleviate start up tick. Those are left behind when the oil isn't there on dry starts.
I have been using 0w-40 rl in my 6.4. I am close to max payload and max tow with my fifthwheel. Live in il so i get the hot and cold weather. She has 97k on her now runs and sounds great. I do get a little start up tick for a sec or 2 but it has always done that no matter what oil and filter i have ran.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went to the dealer with my 2021 RAM 5.7 last Friday.
The Service Manager said the truck was the first 2021 to come in with lifter issues at 1200 miles.
They were told by Chrysler the 2021 was suppose to have better oil flow to the top of the engine than previous years.
Well, it’s ********!!
Thank the good Lord I recorded the lifter noise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel