Lifters on backorder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember that manual-shift Challys also run non-MDS Hemi motors, so you should be able to get non-Hellcat non-MDS lifters.

As to the comment about Toyota standards, I had to chuckle...the bloom has been off that rose for awhile now!

TXCOMT

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Remember that manual-shift Challys also run non-MDS Hemi motors, so you should be able to get non-Hellcat non-MDS lifters.

As to the comment about Toyota standards, I had to chuckle...the bloom has been off that rose for awhile now!

TXCOMT

Supposedly the Hellcat lifter supercedes the old lifter number.If you order/buy a stock non-mds lifter now from the dealer,it's apparently the Hellcat lifter.

OP
OP
KDog456

KDog456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally was able to get some quotes from a local engine rebuilding shop, since the Ram dealership was absolutely useless! They claimed they "couldn't find anyone willing to get rid of an engine" when I asked them to price one out for me. I swear all these dealerships care about is selling vehicles. One of their Ram salesman didn't even know about the exhaust manifold issues of the 4th gens.....unreal! (rant over)

Anyways, the engine rebuild shop quoted me 2 options:

Option 1) rebuild current motor at a cost of $4,900 and a timeline of 3-4 weeks (pretty busy right now)
Option 2) purchase and install a Jasper Reman engine with a 3 year 100,000 miles warranty at the same cost ($4,900) and Jasper would have it delivered by next Monday already!

Option #2 it is

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I finally was able to get some quotes from a local engine rebuilding shop, since the Ram dealership was absolutely useless! They claimed they "couldn't find anyone willing to get rid of an engine" when I asked them to price one out for me. I swear all these dealerships care about is selling vehicles. One of their Ram salesman didn't even know about the exhaust manifold issues of the 4th gens.....unreal! (rant over)

Anyways, the engine rebuild shop quoted me 2 options:

Option 1) rebuild current motor at a cost of $4,900 and a timeline of 3-4 weeks (pretty busy right now)
Option 2) purchase and install a Jasper Reman engine with a 3 year 100,000 miles warranty at the same cost ($4,900) and Jasper would have it delivered by next Monday already!

Option #2 it is

how much more would it cost you to go with a cam package from Jay Greene? I see you already have a tuner and other goodies. Cammed Hemi FTW

OP
OP
KDog456

KDog456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I spoke too soon....$4,900 is just to purchase the Jasper engine :(

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Yeah, she doesn't just jump in! You have mods to support a mild cam/headers, perfect opportunity. Although running 35s with the 6 speed will need a gear swap so you can use that powerband.

OP
OP
KDog456

KDog456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had JBA shorties on the truck but took them off because I couldn't stand all the ticking/engine noise.....now I know what caused all the ticking. They're still sitting in my garage, so yeah I may as well get them put back on the new motor

OP
OP
KDog456

KDog456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just talked to a different Ram Dealership near me, they said they have a couple orders in for 5.7 Hemi replacement engines but they are ALSO on backorder, wow

Sticking $7,000 ($5k engine + $2k install) into a truck that has 126,000 miles is a tough pill to swallow :banghead:

I guess the rebuild at $4,900 sounds like a better option at this point, I would get the Hemi MDS Delete Kit from MMX since I wouldn't have to worry about backordered parts that way.

A mild cam would be nice but I don't want to stick money into a gear swap too, unless its less costly than I am thinking??

Last edited:

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Ouch man. I probably need to keep my eyes open for a good used motor to tear down and rebuild in the next few years then... I've heard pulling the engine on these is easier sometimes than doing all the work with them in the truck, after pretty much tearing mine down and rebuilding it with performance mods I can believe it! You may want to roll the dice and post a 'gig' on craigslist, you might get someone decent to do the work for you at less cost, but it's riskier.

OP
OP
KDog456

KDog456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slept on it and decided I'm going with a Jasper Reman. The 3 year 100,000 mile warranty was the deciding factor. The shop that's doing it can start on it next Tuesday already which is nice cuz I can't wait to have my truck back to normal!!!

OP
OP
KDog456

KDog456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What bolts will I need to reinstall my JBA shorties on the new engine?