Light tow job 650k in. Am i ok?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, just picked up a 2021 Hemi 1500 Classic last week. Absolutely loving it! So, we had some friends have an issue not far from our home that required we hitch up their small (prob under 2000lbs as they were pulling it with a Dodge Journey) utility trailer and drive it home, following them. My odo was at about 650k when we hitched up. We went to the closest restaurant for breakfast and I was looking in the manual for info about towing. I noticed the "Caution" section about not towing for the first 800k. It is a bit of a hilly drive to their home, but I enabled the Tow/Haul button and manually and carefully shifted for the whole 70km distance. Should I be concerned that I might have stressed components or altered my break-in period?

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would not worry with a 2000 pound trailer. That would not stress things very much, especially if you went a little easy. I would have used tow/haul mode, and not worried about manually shifting.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hey !
I think it is almost fun watching the tach & shifting gears with an automatic while towing

OP
OP
B

blackbomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whew, ok thanks so much for the replies, guys. Although now I'm in my head a little bit about it. I also have other new owner related questions that I will have to create other threads for I suppose.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It is a bit of a hilly drive to their home, but I enabled the Tow/Haul button and manually and carefully shifted for the whole 70km distance.
As mentioned when towing just enable the Tow/Haul mode and don't bother manually shifting, the 8 spd trans is knows what to gear to be in. It's smarter than the average bear.