Limited slip / anti - spin question (4 wheel drive)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see this as an option. My question is: are the new Rams without this option 2 or 3 wheel drive? Power to one wheel in the front and power to one (or two) wheel(s) in the back? If I get a '19 with limited slip will it be power to all four wheels?

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I could be wrong, but I think the “break lock”, or whatever they call it, is part of the traction control on all rams.
While it’s not as good as having lockers front and rear, it does have the ability to send power to each wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The limited slip/anti-spin is only in the rear axle on the Ram trucks. The trucks also have electronic traction control which works decent for most pavement pounding trucks. If you drive in soupy stuff a bunch you'll want the LSD.

madweazl

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 1500 | '16 2500
Engine
5.7 | 6.4
The limited slip/anti-spin is only in the rear axle on the Ram trucks. The trucks also have electronic traction control which works decent for most pavement pounding trucks. If you drive in soupy stuff a bunch you'll want the LSD.

Isn't the limited slip/anti-spin the LSD (limited slip differential)? Maybe you meant locking differential?

desync0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All 4x4 vehicles without a limited slip or locker on either axle are only "two wheel drive".

Ram's and Jeeps have an electronic "Brake Lock Differential" or BLD, which uses the ABS/traction control to apply the brakes to the wheel(s) that are spinning. It works decent but it's not a replacement for an LSD or locker.

If you get the anti-spin that will make it "three wheel drive", the only way to get power to all 4 wheels no matter how much traction they have from the factory would be a Power Wagon (or Jeep Rubicon) which has lockers front and rear.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife's 2011 Jeep Grand has open diffs, front and back. It also has "traction control" and "brake lock differentials". It performs beautifully on trails. We've never tried it in mud, and I imagine it wouldn't perform very well. However, for trail riding, fields, gravel, rocks, etc, it does great.

So, open diffs = power to 2 wheels. 1 front, 1 back. However, with the esp and brake lock diffs, you essentially get traction to all 4, just not 100% of the time. The video below shows the esp in action. When 1 wheel starts slipping, the ecu slows down that wheel, until it regains traction.

2014RamExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the anti-spin rear diff in my 2 wheel drive and I was wondering the same thing. Like what is the different between the anti-spin and the same truck, but without that option selected?

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the anti-spin rear diff in my 2 wheel drive and I was wondering the same thing. Like what is the different between the anti-spin and the same truck, but without that option selected?

2wd wtih no limited slip (open diff) = 1 rear wheel gets power. On flat pavement, you will always have good traction. However, when you get in a situation where one wheel starts to lose traction, all power gets transferred to that one wheel. Before traction control, brake lock differentials, etc., there was an old trick. If you ever got yourself in a situation where one wheel was spinning, you could lightly apply your brakes or emergency brake. This would slow down the free spinning wheel, and allow the other wheel to get traction.

With today's brake lock differential technology, a truck with an open diff acts the same as a truck with a limited slip. Just not as fast. On a 2wd truck with no limited slip, if one wheel starts spinning, the computer senses this, and will apply the brakes to that one wheel. The computer is fast, and can do it quite efficiently. If your truck has a limited slip in the axle, the limited slip does the same thing, before the computer ever has to get involved.

Modern vehicles are light years ahead of 4x4s from the past. As stated previously in this thread, my wife's WK2 Jeep Grand, is a full time 4x4 (essentially AWD), and has open diffs front and back. I've had it on trails that are steep with loose rock/gravel. Basically, I just keep the throttle constant, and the computer does the rest. Every time a tire starts to lose traction, you'll hear it start slipping and throwing gravel, within less that a second, the computer will slow that tire, and traction will be regained. The Jeep might lose momentum for a split second, but then it just picks up where it left off, and continues climbing. It really doesn't take much skill from the driver. Just point it up the hill, and give it some gas. The computer does the rest.

2014RamExpress

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That definitely helps clear things up man, I really appreciate the explanation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wdriver

wdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow this is quite different from my 40 year old Power Wagon. I think I'll look for a '19 with the limited slip option but so far all the ones I've seen with LSD are 3.92's. I'm not adding huge tires or a lift so I'd like to find 3.21's or 3.54's with the LSD.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The above descriptions are correct except for one thing. Limited slip does not do the same thing as traction control. Traction control applies brake to the spinning wheel. Limited slip transfers torque or power to the spinning wheel, it does not apply any brake.

And, ESC (Electronic Stability Control) enhances directional control and stability.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow this is quite different from my 40 year old Power Wagon. I think I'll look for a '19 with the limited slip option but so far all the ones I've seen with LSD are 3.92's. I'm not adding huge tires or a lift so I'd like to find 3.21's or 3.54's with the LSD.

I'm not sure those gear options are even available on power wagons. I think I've only seen 3.92's or 4.10's but I could be wrong on that.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm not sure those gear options are even available on power wagons. I think I've only seen 3.92's or 4.10's but I could be wrong on that.
3.21 and 3.92's are in the half tons, havent seen one with 4.10's from the factory yet

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.21 and 3.92's are in the half tons, havent seen one with 4.10's from the factory yet

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Yeah neither have I, I was saying I've only seen 3.92 and 4.10's in power wagons which of course are 2500's.

Actually I'm not even 100% on that, do power wagons even have the option for 3.92's or are they only 4.10's?

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah neither have I, I was saying I've only seen 3.92 and 4.10's in power wagons which of course are 2500's.

Actually I'm not even 100% on that, do power wagons even have the option for 3.92's or are they only 4.10's?

2005 - 2013 = 4.56

2014 - Present = 4.10

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

4.10’s only in the PW
3.92’s are Rebel and other 1500’s

- The Blue Mule

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2005 - 2013 = 4.56

2014 - Present = 4.10
4.10’s only in the PW
3.92’s are Rebel and other 1500’s

- The Blue Mule

Thanks for the info! Learn something new each day, I probably was confusing it with the rebel for 3.92's I had seen, but I like how the PW come's standard and only with the 4.10's.