"Limp Mode" Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SL0WDr1ver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Greetings All,

I'm a new member as of today...

I have a current issue and related issue if anyone can help.

The truck is a 2014 Ram 3500 Dually with the 6.7 Cummins Diesel; Aisin Transmission, 4x4, 3.73 Axle Ratio, Crew Cab, Laramie-Longhorn. It has 90,000 miles. I/we tow a 42' 5th wheel around the country that weighs 17,000 lbs. I/we are retired.

3 weeks ago, the truck went into the 150 mile countdown to limp mode. Come to find out that the DEF pump had gone bad at 89,200 miles. $2500 to the Ram dealership for that repair.

Last week, the Check Engine light came on. I thought it might have been related. Went back to dealer last week and found out that the Turbo Charger Actuator was intermittently going out. A new Actuator (not the entire Turbo) part is on order. It will arrive in about 2 days. The dealer states that it will be 7 days before he can squeeze in the repair.

So here are the questions:

1) If I continue to drive this truck for the next 7 days, is there a chance that this fault can make the truck go back into another 150 mile countdown to "limp mode"? We are staying 40 minutes from the repairing Ram dealership and the nearest large town is 2 hours away. Do we chance driving the truck? We may need groceries or to just get out.

2) Can anyone provide a list of every possible fault code that can cause the truck to go into "limp mode"? I need to know what else can go wrong as we are planning a trip to Alaska. Up there, there is very limited cell service to call a tow truck for anything. And if we are in the Northern Territory area, it could take weeks to get back to a town traveling at 5 mph. IMHO, it should be illegal to cause a vehicle to go into limp mode to begin with. I understand that in some limited situations, it could damage an engine. But conversely, not everyone lives within 5 minutes of a dealership or mechanic.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this Ram up to this point. Just need to know from all of you that bigger problems don't lay ahead.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions in advance.