Line X overspray on paint.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brought my week old truck into Line X today to have the bed done. Upon closer inspection at home I noticed they got some overspray on the leading edge of the side of the box where it meets the cab on the passenger side, Called them up and after telling me to use some different solvents to clean it off (which I wasn't going to attemp) told me I could bring it in and they' d take care of it. Well they weren't able to and offered to have their body shop sand it and repaint it.

Now my question is what would you do? I plan on stopping by my body guy and getting his opinion in the morning. I just don't feel good about someone hacking into my brand new truck's paint. What's a reasonable course of action on this do you think?

Btw. It's a 2014 crew cab 1500 with the black ram express package.

5hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had some light overspray from my rockers being done. I wasn't gonna let them touch my truck. I clayed and polished my truck since it was due for a spring cleaning anyway. It all came out but they should definitely be paying the bill for what ever route you go.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a pic?

OP
OP
Z

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll try to get a pic posted when I get home tomorrow sometime( I'm on the road working now) . Stopped by the body shop that I trust today they haven't ran into this exact senerio yet but think the best course of action would be to lightly sand it by hand with fine sandpaper to open up the line x to let the solvent soak in then try to remove it with a plastic or rubber scraper and buff when done.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have me nervous now. I'm about to get my bed sprayed next week.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I haven't gotten my line x done yet, but I've also heard that claying the area with a claybar and polishing will take care of it.

OP
OP
Z

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol, been searching for more cases of this seems some people recommend a clay bar, but not sure that would do the trick here.

Jadocs, I'd wax the **** out of it before you went in and bring up the point of overspray, and inspect everything as soon as it's done, is something is wrong maybe it'd still be soft enough to wipe off.

My big concern is it's right on the radius of the panel where the paint is the thinnest. I'm just considering my options yet including leaving it be and just getting compensated for it considering its black line x on a black truck, but being a week old truck it's kinda hard to just overlook. I still need to contact the body shop line x wants to use and see what they have to say.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would give the 3M Eraser wheel a try, works wonders for removing the adhesive after debadging which isn't that different than the box liner when it comes to adhesive qualities.

dedogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^+1. I would give an eraser wheel a try.

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Take it back to them and ask if they can wetsand a buff your paint. that's about only way to get it off.

OP
OP
Z

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well made a few phone calls, did a little research, looks like it's probably not the line x urethane stuff but probably the clear UV coating instead.

Talked to the line-X guy again today and either he doesn't know his product or assumes I'm gullible, started saying how it should've wiped off, and it looks like it's under the clear coat. At that point I said don't you spray it with a UV coat, at which point his tone changed a little, cause I think he had himself convinced they didn't do. Anyways found out which body shop he is planning on using, and I'll talk to them before hand and see what they think needs to be done..

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Sorry about your truck pal
with that being said...
Do NOT let anyone other than the Line X guy touch your truck.
Do not try fixing this yourself, or let a body shop "try a few things" to see if they can get it off..
As soon as someone (other than the Line X guy) touches that truck to fix the problem, you have completely let the Line X guy off the hook and it is no longer his problem legally....and I am VERY SURE the Line X guy knows this!
If Line X guy has to repaint the truck to make it right, then that is what he'll have to do....you are the boss here, and Line X guy has one job to do...return your truck back to you in the condition you left it in....nothing more, nothing less!
I wish you the best!

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I don't know if I would want the same people who lack attention to detail, and are more interested in completing a job as quick as they can...touching my truck, let alone paint it. I would get them to commit to fixing it through a third party (body shop).

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would start working at it with mild chemicals, GooGone, etc. and work your way up. Try every road grime, tar, scratch, sap removing wax there is BEFORE you allow a body shop to touch it.
Maybe have them overspray line-x onto a painted surface (not your truck) so you can experiment with chemicals before you dive in..??
Definitely get compensated with the cost of a body shop paint job, though.
If you can avoid it, you don't want a brand new truck with a non-factory painted panel.
Sorry man that really sucks, it would have made me sick to see this happen to my truck. Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Autokraftgt, absolutely agree with you, all I've done so far is inform myself and figure out options.

Repaint is a last resort for me, honestly I think I'd rather have it minimized and leave it rather then that.

So far I've kept my cool, made no threats, haven't discussed compensation or legalities, just focused on getting the BEST fix for the problem and see what the end results are, then we'll go from there, they've been mostly cool about it but haven't offered anything other to fix it.

Pretty much done doing anything with it till Monday.

OP
OP
Z

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update, Line X dealer paid the body shop bill, needed to repaint the side,looks good. Still out some time and frustration, loss of use of the truck a couple days but it's done.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good deal, I guarantee they won't be so careless next time.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sucks that it came down to having that done, but glad they took care of it for you.

1500BR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would take it back to them immediately and make them wetsand and polish it all out!