LineX bedliner with 5th wheel prep covers/trim pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just bought a 2022 2500 with the factory 5th wheel/gooseneck prep. It came with plastic covers/trim that I havent installed yet. I did not get the factory bed liner and was going to go with LineX. Will these trim pieces have trouble fitting after the bed is sprayed? I really dont want to install them and have them sprayed over.

I would assume LineX would have a solution.

Thanks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know that Line-X beds required that the factory paint be scuffed up

Then they plug the drain holes & they take the tailgate off & remove the Inspection Plate from it, those threaded holes are protected.
So i would have to think all holes are either plugged or taped over

1660291367447.png

1660291452216.png

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am assuming i will have to install the trim rings first and then have them masked off. I dont believe they will fit with an additional 1/8” of material.

Ive attached a few pics. One is the factory liner where it looks like they somehow sprayed less material where the trim goes.
7DC1CC37-B2D3-4DF8-93D6-E1A5CDF5C527.jpeg0D657293-7246-48B6-BEE3-04872A4065F0.jpegD451A64C-B3FA-4BC9-912C-BEC2B7AAB3F4.jpeg

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just talked to LineX. Guy said they prefer to have them out when spraying. Then they will sand any excess thickness to make sure they snap back in.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I had a spray in bed liner done in mine. They took them out to do the liner, but they did not reinstall them. I had to put them in. Three of the five went in no problem. One went with some effort. The last one I had to trim a bit on the edge of the plastic ring to get it to install. I didn't want to chip the liner, and figured I could always get another piece of plastic if I needed to. They did go in, and have not come back out.

It was the square notch that was hardest to get to go together. That piece of plastic had less give than the rest of the part.

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update: I was able to get the plugs in just fine on my own. Ended up going with the Premium LineX. Its a little shinier and supposed to hold up from fading. However... my tailgate seems to be having a bit of an issue. I have to shut it a little harder to get it to sit flush and the power release sometimes has the tailgate hung up. After doing some investigating, it appears the rubber stoppers are the issue with the added thickness of the liner. The factory mopar spray stops right before these stoppers. My dealer went past them about a 1/4". I know LineX is superior but I would never buy a new vehicle again without the factory liner... SMH

P B Casterlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 3500 Dually
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Update: I was able to get the plugs in just fine on my own. Ended up going with the Premium LineX. Its a little shinier and supposed to hold up from fading. However... my tailgate seems to be having a bit of an issue. I have to shut it a little harder to get it to sit flush and the power release sometimes has the tailgate hung up. After doing some investigating, it appears the rubber stoppers are the issue with the added thickness of the liner. The factory mopar spray stops right before these stoppers. My dealer went past them about a 1/4". I know LineX is superior but I would never buy a new vehicle again without the factory liner... SMH
I am getting my 2019 3500 sprayed with LineX premium September 9th. I'll make sure to tell them about the tailgate issue.

OP
OP
D

danediz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am getting my 2019 3500 sprayed with LineX premium September 9th. I'll make sure to tell them about the tailgate issue.
I did some research on some other forums/trucks. Sounds like a common issue. Supposedly as the LineX cures, its easier to shut and does not get hung up as bad. Other solutions are to trim the rubber stoppers slightly. Overall very happy with the liner. Just wish my truck had the factory running boards....

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had mine linex'd and they pulled the plugs for me then made sure they fit correctly after spraying the bed. It honestly depends on the quality of dealer/installer from what I've heard/seen. The location I went to does a lot of the more intricate stuff like full truck/jeep sprays as well as bumpers and such.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had mine linex'd and they pulled the plugs for me then made sure they fit correctly after spraying the bed. It honestly depends on the quality of dealer/installer from what I've heard/seen. The location I went to does a lot of the more intricate stuff like full truck/jeep sprays as well as bumpers and such.
Yes, depends on the installer. I'd be sure to have a conversation with them specifically addressing these subjects. I got my previous GMC truck bed linex'd and did NOT do that. The GMC's and Chevy's have oval openings in various places in the bed that come from the factory with plastic plugs in them. You can buy GM or after market tie down points that mount in these openings...just pop out the plastic plug and put in the tie down thing. Except....the installer just sprayed the whole inside of the bed, right over the tops of the plastic plugs. I found this out later when I went to install my tiedown hooks and had to go around the plastic covers with an Exacto knife then peel off the LineX on that spot. It came out OK and the hooks I was installing covered things up so it didn't look bad. Still, I definitely wish I had had that conversation in advance...d'oh :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963