Lock and unlock randomly stops working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dwerbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So here's the issue. Randomly my key fobs won't lock/unlock my doors. Before you say to check batteries or contacts I know that's not the issue because when I click unlock, the lights flash and horn honks, so it is getting the signal. I also have an aftermarket command start and that also won't lock or unlock.

I can use my key to manually unlock the truck, but when I try to unlock the other doors with the switch on the door it also doesn't work. I will then drive around and when I get to my destination most often I will open my door and then all the other doors then automatically unlock and everything works again.

I have gone months where this isn't an issue, and then I'll go stretches where is happens every day.

Recently it was really annoying because I have a toneau cover, my Tailgate was locked, and apparently the key hole on my tailgate is full of dirt and grime, so the manual key didn't work. So all my tools were trapped until it started working again.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
That sounds like a ground wire problem. I was installing gauges in the A pillar recently and I had the exact same symptom you’re describing. I had reinstalled the knee bolster (panel) yet and looked up under the dash. There were a bunch of green wires all connected to chassis and only one of these wires had been broken but that’s all it took to disable all 4 actuators , yet lights still flashed for alarm. If its all locks , then you’ll want to look near driver’s side of dash. Good luck.

Dak76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI ETORQUE
I have a similar issue with my new 2022.
Key FOB randomly wont work. (tried both of them). (Yes I checked the batteries).
Truck also wont recognize KOB FOB's. So it won't start without doing emergency bypass.
If I manually lock doors, when I come back and use key alarm goes off.

Took it to dealership. They said its possibly a wire harness/transmitter issues. Part on back order. No ETA.

I read on another post that doors sometimes unlock randomly as well. This is my biggest concern.
Any body know how to report this to RAM. if doors unlock that is a HUGE safety concern as anybody could enter the vehicle.