Lock lockers at will - Need a NYC test truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I read their little blurp in the instruction manual about it... it sounds like it basically just tricks the truck into thinking it is in 4lo, even if you are in 2hi or 4hi. Ive had a setup already that did this, and didnt much care for it. It raises the idle and changes the shift points as if you were in 4lo.

Hmmmmmm. Guess I will still test it out and see... but not liking what I am hearing.
Won’t lie. This one thing I’ll really enjoy when I get my truck done. A locker with none of the nanny stuff.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Won’t lie. This one thing I’ll really enjoy when I get my truck done. A locker with none of the nanny stuff.

I’ll be honest. Pretty much any time I use my lockers I am in 4low anyway. The biggest ***** I have about them is they take an eternity to turn on off... which I dont think this tazer will really even change.

Looks like I may throw down the cash for the actual bypass setup instead of using this tazer. Keep ya posted!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I’ll be honest. Pretty much any time I use my lockers I am in 4low anyway. The biggest ***** I have about them is they take an eternity to turn on off... which I dont think this tazer will really even change.

Looks like I may throw down the cash for the actual bypass setup instead of using this tazer. Keep ya posted!
I agree. Only for 4lo I’ll prolly never use them any other time. My thing is exactly what you said that others have said and that I fear. They take too long to lock up and it’d annoy me. I wanna press it and be done lol.

Trail Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I agree. Only for 4lo I’ll prolly never use them any other time. My thing is exactly what you said that others have said and that I fear. They take too long to lock up and it’d annoy me. I wanna press it and be done lol.

Yeah, but locked 2wd doughnuts is cool and fun, lol

I agree with both of you.

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
Lockers in 4hi is good for snow and mud. Got to keep that wheel speed up!!!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, they have the update now for the unit so you can use the lockers in any tcase range. The ****** part is, all it does is trick the truck into thinking it is in 4lo... so you get weird ass driving characteristics due to the changed shift points and idle. And, it still takes a stroke of luck for the lockers to lock up for the first time. I will never use that feature.

Looks like I will be purchasing one of the magical bypass kits instead.

What a let down!

OP
OP
m25443

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once I saw that was going to be the implementation I went ahead and bought the BLM Locker Bypass kit. Works great and immediate.

The only issue I had with it was at PWIM on the hottest day, with lots of idle time at obstacles, it quit working a couple of times. Once I let it cool down it started working again. I had it mounted on the passenger inner fender in a place with only the top open so it was getting no airflow. The customer support was great and he had a couple suggestions, like move to a location with some airflow or adjust the pots a bit (more heat means more electrical resistance which may have pushed it just past the point of adjustment). The control box is weatherproof so lots of mounting options.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going to have to buy the plug and play set-up

OP
OP
m25443

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The nicest setup I have seen is each locker having its own small switch to activate.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the BLM bypass setup is the nicest setup anyone will ever see.... Factory knob integration? Any range lockers? sure footed engagement?
You Got It!

it is instantaneous, every time.
and 2HI and 4HI locked is NECESSARY in winter/offroad conditions if you ask me.

Last edited:

Tyler239

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 Laramie PW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Can someone explain to me how the by pass kit allows you to lock up “almost instantaneously” ? I was under the impression that the delay was a mechanical issue due to the fact that the lockers need to be lined up to allow proper gear mesh. In which case I’ve always just turned the wheel left and right while in motion until they “lined up” and locked in ( excuse the poor explanation, I’m no mechanic ) .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone explain to me how the by pass kit allows you to lock up “almost instantaneously” ? I was under the impression that the delay was a mechanical issue due to the fact that the lockers need to be lined up to allow proper gear mesh. In which case I’ve always just turned the wheel left and right while in motion until they “lined up” and locked in ( excuse the poor explanation, I’m no mechanic ) .

No, the holdup is in the electronics end... specifically all the criteria that has to be met within the smartbar before it allows the lockers to get charged.

Tyler239

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 Laramie PW
Engine
6.4 hemi
No, the holdup is in the electronics end... specifically all the criteria that has to be met within the smartbar before it allows the lockers to get charged.

Ok , and do we know what the criteria are that need to be met before they engage ? This would be really helpful info [emoji106][emoji106]

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok , and do we know what the criteria are that need to be met before they engage ? This would be really helpful info [emoji106][emoji106]

“We”? Yes. I dont, though.

Flyrodder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Nice little update for the '19s -- mine allows the rear locker in ANY t-case mode up to 25 mph. Same with the sway-bar disco. (Lockers are still slow AF)

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

For lockers:
4LO, under 3mph to engage. Rear has to lock before the front. It’s in your owners manual if you’d care to read it.

OP
OP
m25443

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For lockers:
4LO, under 3mph to engage. Rear has to lock before the front. It’s in your owners manual if you’d care to read it.

Low, There has to be more to the story, and I think that's what Tyler is referring to. For example, why does the BLM Locker Bypass lock the front instantly every time, while the factory setting often has delays before the front lockers will actually engage.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Low, There has to be more to the story, and I think that's what Tyler is referring to. For example, why does the BLM Locker Bypass lock the front instantly every time, while the factory setting often has delays before the front lockers will actually engage.

The front gives people so much “trouble” because the rear has to lock first. Once the rear is locked, two tires have to slip in order to turn, and turning is generally how people are trying to get differential action to the locker. On a high traction surface with the rear locked, it’s difficult and places a lot of strain on the drive train to achieve differential action in the front diff under 3 mph.

With the right (low/variable from left-to-right) traction conditions, the front locks just fine under the factory constraints.

On slick snow/ice, mud, or uneven ground that will almost entirely unweight a tire, my front locks as expected, every time. I don’t use it on dry flat ground, and if I did I wouldn’t expect it to lock up right away.