Locked keys/FOB in truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
I just tried to do this. 2018 Laramie Limited 2500. Keyless with push button start.
Button in off position. Engine off. Remote in center console. Pushed lock button on door, everything locked. Closed door. Immediately unlocked all locks and the horn beeped three quick beeps.
Ditto here no can do

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
I believe with the truck running, fob inside the truck, it is possible to lock the fob in the truck.

Lin19687

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not trying to be a biitch here but if you have push button start, why do you not have your FOB in your pocket?
I do. Either in my jacket pocket or pants pocket (I do not carry a purse btw.)
I don't have the Ram yet but is there a setting you and do on the truck that doesn't allow the truck to lock when you get out ?
My car now has that function but it won't lock the doors if the FOB is in the car anyway... yup I tried at home the day i got the car ;)
Basically it will let you manually lock the door if it is running and you are IN the car. If the door opens this disengages that function (I am assuming). So long as you have the settings set to not lock doors upon exit.

I got locked out of my car once. It had a sun roof that was open thank gawd. Course that was back in 1987 and I have not done it since then.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not trying to be a biitch here but if you have push button start, why do you not have your FOB in your pocket?
I do. Either in my jacket pocket or pants pocket (I do not carry a purse btw.)
I don't have the Ram yet but is there a setting you and do on the truck that doesn't allow the truck to lock when you get out ?
My car now has that function but it won't lock the doors if the FOB is in the car anyway... yup I tried at home the day i got the car ;)
Basically it will let you manually lock the door if it is running and you are IN the car. If the door opens this disengages that function (I am assuming). So long as you have the settings set to not lock doors upon exit.

I got locked out of my car once. It had a sun roof that was open thank gawd. Course that was back in 1987 and I have not done it since then.

I agree too. My key never gets laid down anywhere I’m my truck as it’s always in a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 Laramie with Trim Level 1. Try the remote start with FOB. Open the door, get in, leave keys in console. Get out and lock door with button on door panel and close the door. Wait a couple of minutes and try to get in. Have your spare FOB located far away from you(not 70 miles like me). Let me know what happens. Not sure if opening the tailgate before locking truck had anything to do with this.
just leave the window in the down position so you can get back in while doing your testing.

19REBEL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All of my vehicles have FOBs (4 different cars or trucks). Depending on the vehicle I am driving I grab the appropriate FOB and put it in my pocket. All of my other keys (and there are a bunch..house key, office key, mailbox key, gate key, etc) are on a separate key ring. That way I can put the FOB of the vehicle I am driving in my pocket and never take it out. Al the other keys I need access to are are on a separate key ring. That is the safest way I have found to not lock myself out of my vehicle.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Not to be smart or out of kelter ,but just have a copy of the fob key for passage made and put in a magnetic box under the truck. If your locked out for any reason with fob inside the truck the passage key will unlock the truck to allow you back in again.

Stbear007007

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 sport crew
Engine
My 2015 use to do 3 quick beeps unlock all doors when my key fob was in truck even if in back of bed for years. Well keys apparently were left in truck on my way out and they were locked inside. At least I was home to have second fob thankfully. So I tested both fobs separately in different areas of truck new batteries and truck locked everytime now? That's not good as now I'm wondering if I have to fix something or possibly got deleted somehow in one of the recalls that were done by dealer. I do notice this started happening right after the dealership reprogrammed for the shift knob issues

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Both of my RAMs and my wifes Jeep will allow the doors to closed and locked with the fobs inside.
Also I seldow have the fob in my pocket and much of the time when I'm parked the key or fob needs to be in the truck so it can be moved or even used when I'm not around it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both of my RAMs and my wifes Jeep will allow the doors to closed and locked with the fobs inside.
Also I seldow have the fob in my pocket and much of the time when I'm parked the key or fob needs to be in the truck so it can be moved or even used when I'm not around it.
I take it you don’t have the passive entry and/or the push button start? Being that my truck has that, if I leave my key fob anywhere in the vehicle and even if I manage to somehow push the lock button on the door panel and close the door, the horn will honk and it’ll automatically unlock itself.