Locked out! What’s the deal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I use my remote start i can’t immediately unlock the truck and get in. I have to wait several minutes and the remote will then unlock the doors. Anyone else notice this?

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
When I use my remote start i can’t immediately unlock the truck and get in. I have to wait several minutes and the remote will then unlock the doors. Anyone else notice this?
What model truck do you have. It would help if you create a signature.

I can remote start and walk up and touch the door handle and the truck immediately unlocks.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What model truck do you have. It would help if you create a signature.

I can remote start and walk up and touch the door handle and the truck immediately unlocks.
his avatar shows a new 2020 Power Wagon so my uneducated guess would be he has a new power wagon :)

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will have to try it today. I have not actually tried that scenario as the few times I have used remote start I was letting it warm up first before getting in.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can remote start mine and unlock right away.

Red

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Haha...you've discovered the new "cool-down" feature that's build into the remote start system which forces you to wait a few minutes before you can drive it. The truck needs to know you really meant to start it. :D

It's obviously a problem. Take it in and have it looked at. Until then, I'd avoid remote starting the truck unless you want to burn extra fuel.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes I have an issue like that where the door won't unlock by grabbling the handles. Only happens when I wear a hooded sweatshirt and have both my keys and phone in the front pocket/pouch of the sweatshirt. I take out either my phone or keys to separate them, touch the door handle and it unlocks. Not sure if that's what's going on in the OP case or if anyone else experiences this, but it's worth mentioning that interference can cause problems with the doors not unlocking.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t have the door handle feature like our Jeep does.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will have to try it today. I have not actually tried that scenario as the few times I have used remote start I was letting it warm up first before getting in.

Thanks! If I start the truck and try to unlock right away it acts like it’s not receiving anything from the remote.

like clock work wait a few minutes and it works as it should.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks! If I start the truck and try to unlock right away it acts like it’s not receiving anything from the remote.

like clock work wait a few minutes and it works as it should.
So tried it several times and my doors unlock instantly

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so this morning when I used auto start it would not unlock for a minute or so. Weird because yesterday it unlocked instantly after using auto start. It would not lock either right away. Not sure what is up lol.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
try with the fob, sometimes if I have the fob in a off pocket, it will not pick up the door handle sensor

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
try with the fob, sometimes if I have the fob in a off pocket, it will not pick up the door handle sensor
I am using the fob as that is all I have. Reading the OP he is same.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try fresh batteries in your fob !
Does it do the same with the other fob ?
well my truck was made July 2020 so if batteries are weak there is an issue in and of its self. The OP's truck is a 2020 so he probably has pretty fresh batteries.

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stopped by the dealer and they looked up my vin. They couldn’t find any fixes or TSB out there. Seems the colder it is the longer it takes for the doors to unlock.

Tuggr2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Question ???? Why would you be using remote start if your right at the truck and then want to jump right in. I've always started the truck in the cold weather while putting on my jacket and then head out to get in. Works every time that way.. Also like to set up the steering wheel heater and seats so there already starting to get warm... Same for defroster but don't defrost on max unless you want to replace a windshield on those really cold days.. stay safe and stay well

OP
OP
Dan l

Dan l

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question ???? Why would you be using remote start if your right at the truck and then want to jump right in. I've always started the truck in the cold weather while putting on my jacket and then head out to get in. Works every time that way.. Also like to set up the steering wheel heater and seats so there already starting to get warm... Same for defroster but don't defrost on max unless you want to replace a windshield on those really cold days.. stay safe and stay well

I found out by trying to open the doors just as you said. I use the remote start, let it warm up. After I get ready I go out and I’m locked out. That’s when I started digging. Check out the face book forum Ram Gassers. Lots of owners with this same issue. Mopar has to come up with a patch for this glitch.