Locking gas cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I have a 2016 1500 and with the rising price of gas and the possibility of theft, I am considering getting a locking gas cap. I am in no way a fan of these but in today’s times I think it might be prudent even if the chance of theft is small. With that said, any recommendations for a locking gas cap that works smoothly and will not cause a check gas cap light?

thank you.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I've never tried to shove a hose down the filler pipe. Is it even possible? Problem with theves is they don't mind crawling under your truck to steal something. IE catalytic converters. So they punch a whole in your gas tank to steal your gas they don't care if they ruin your tank. I would invest in cameras instead, if possible.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just use the locking door instead of a cap. NRA sticker might help with deterrence as well.

OP
OP
duckman631

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I didn't think you could siphon anymore! I thought they put diverters in the fill pipe so you couldn't put tubes down them.

I was thinking same thing or maybe there is a screen down the tube that would prevent hose from going in.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's a ball or flapper in there incase of it flipping over so it won't leak. That should make it impossible or at least way more difficult to siphon.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2016 1500 and with the rising price of gas and the possibility of theft, I am considering getting a locking gas cap. I am in no way a fan of these but in today’s times I think it might be prudent even if the chance of theft is small. With that said, any recommendations for a locking gas cap that works smoothly and will not cause a check gas cap light?

thank you.
You could only hope they'll try to siphon the gas,lol.Plastic tank,they just punch a hole in it,and get the fuel while they're cutting off the cat's,lol

HangmanNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is there a definitive answer on whether siphoning cannot be done on these RAM trucks? I have a 2015. We do spend some time in Florida. Just checking the message board down there and there have been a rash of fuel tanks being siphoned dry.

RDNKB34R

Reaction score
I didn't think you could siphon anymore! I thought they put diverters in the fill pipe so you couldn't put tubes down them.
I was always told growing up to put a few mothballs into the tank. BUT as previously posted, theives have no problem now days just popping a hole in our gas tanks.