Long crank won’t start when raining or wet outside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jsmith29308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2001 5.2L magnum

Every time it’s foggy, rainy, snowing or wet outside my truck doesn’t start.

Obviously a Moisture issue somewhere.

I’m thinking cracks in the alternator or bad coils or something. I don’t think it has to do with my air intake system.

Will also shut down if driving through a puddle or following a semi in snowy conditions.

Wondering if anyone else has been down this road?

Last edited:

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crack in the firing system components. Check for cracks or damage to coils, plug wires, distributer etc. Make sure all connections are tight, especially with the fuel and firing components.

The water is killing the fire. where I come from we call these "fair weather friends" lol.

OP
OP
Jsmith29308

Jsmith29308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there only one ignition coil? How many are there?

Distributer looks fairly fresh

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a distributor then there will be only one ignition coil that runs it. Check the coil, Check the wire from the coil going to the distributor. Check the 8 spark plug wires running from dis to each cylinder. If you can get it in dry conditions and running correctly then a spray bottle of water on mist may help you narrow down which part is giving you the issue. Sometimes it is very hard to see any damage, ends up being a hairline crack on something u cant see.

Helpful tip, WD40 displaces moisture and can help you dry stuff up. Also, in a tight spot, so does hairspray.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Wait til it's dark out, start the truck and pop the hood. Take a spray mottle of water and lightly mist it over the coil, the coil to distributor wire, and all your plug wires and until either the symptoms arise or the you see arcing. Easiest way to find it