Long Haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dan Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine was 8460 with not much in the truck last check. Trailer was 6500. Will probably add maybe 800 more total between the two vehicles. So actually that's closer too 16K.
Going to hit the scales on our way to the first stop just to see where I'm at.

Thanks for all the info. I will try to keep my numbers down on this trip. On our last trip to Stanley, Idaho and the Sawtooth mountains the truck was 9660 and trailer was 8120. We did ok and had just one hill top that slowed us down. We are moving to Ocala come August. Thanks again for your help and Good luck and enjoy your trip CT,!!!

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shouldn’t even break a sweat! Then you’ll have flat land to the Ozarks. Couple hills here in Arkansas... then the Smokies. If you go all the way across Tennessee. Might add a few more ounces to the dash in the form of a radar detector. :superhack:

OP
OP
D

Dan Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shouldn’t even break a sweat! Then you’ll have flat land to the Ozarks. Couple hills here in Arkansas... then the Smokies. If you go all the way across Tennessee. Might add a few more ounces to the dash in the form of a radar detector. :superhack:

Thanks!! I have been thinking about that area (Ozarks)!! Will be just outside Memphis in Collierville and then South to Florida.. thanks again for the information.

deerreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Thanks!! I have been thinking about that area (Ozarks)!! Will be just outside Memphis in Collierville and then South to Florida.. thanks again for the information.
You will have to be careful across Wyoming. The winds across there can be pretty strong. Specially with a tall camper and not having a dually. You can have 50 to 60 mph gusts of cross winds that can last a couple of days. Heading west is usually worse than east and you will burn fuel a lot faster than you will think so don't push it to the next fuel stop.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’m 45 miles NW across the river from Memphis. Hopefully the bridge will be open before your journey. The old bridge they’re detouring all the traffic to is a sketchy narrow SOB.

zippertom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We have an '18 Tradesman SLT, 64" bed w/ 6.4 HEMI 3.73 gear. Bed is always full w 3K lbs of gear. 6 speed RFE Xmission. In mountain areas use tow haul mode (MDS off). We frequently tow Montana H.C. 325RL East TN Smokey Mtns, W. NC and N, GA areas. No problem towing 13K lbs 5th Wheel. Fuel Consumption 9 to 11 mpg

OP
OP
D

Dan Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will have to be careful across Wyoming. The winds across there can be pretty strong. Specially with a tall camper and not having a dually. You can have 50 to 60 mph gusts of cross winds that can last a couple of days. Heading west is usually worse than east and you will burn fuel a lot faster than you will think so don't push it to the next fuel stop.

Is 80 the prefered route through when crossing Wyoming? We have not driven Hwy. 80 but it looks like the most direct route.

OP
OP
D

Dan Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We have an '18 Tradesman SLT, 64" bed w/ 6.4 HEMI 3.73 gear. Bed is always full w 3K lbs of gear. 6 speed RFE Xmission. In mountain areas use tow haul mode (MDS off). We frequently tow Montana H.C. 325RL East TN Smokey Mtns, W. NC and N, GA areas. No problem towing 13K lbs 5th Wheel. Fuel Consumption 9 to 11 mpg

Thanks for the positive info about your 6.4 HEMI. My Better half says I worry too much!! She maybe right but I like to call it being prepared. Toni well be glad to read your post and so am I.. Thanks again!!!!

OP
OP
D

Dan Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m 45 miles NW across the river from Memphis. Hopefully the bridge will be open before your journey. The old bridge they’re detouring all the traffic to is a sketchy narrow SOB.

Thanks! I will look into that.

deerreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Is 80 the prefered route through when crossing Wyoming? We have not driven Hwy. 80 but it looks like the most direct route.
Yes. It's the only interstate that goes a cross WY. If you're coming from Idaho US 30 is a decent road that can shave off a little time, and brings you out into 80.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Mine was 8460 with not much in the truck last check. Trailer was 6500. Will probably add maybe 800 more total between the two vehicles. So actually that's closer too 16K.
Going to hit the scales on our way to the first stop just to see where I'm at.
Hit the scales yesterday. Total was 16680. Trailer axle 6880 steer axle 4880 drive axle 4920. Only did one weight as the place was hopping and I had two rigs behind me.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Elk Mountain on I-80 east of Rawlins, Wyo is not a steep climb, but let me tell you, it is a bear during an April blizzard. Like already mentioned, the wind can howl across 80. Many a time when I lived in CO, there were reports of semis blown over between Rock Springs and Cheyenne.

The pass east of Laramie is a 5% grade for 5 miles going up, but it's more gradual going down into Cheyenne. Used to do that route in my USAF semi when the Laramie Petro's had all-you-can-eat country fried steak.

If you will be cutting south into CO to hit I-70, Kansas can be deceiving. Kansas ain't flat. Between the hills and wind, my mileage bottoms out at about 7 pulling a little heavier than you will be with a 5.7L and same rear gear. Had a 30 mph crosswind in central Kansas when I was headed west a couple of years ago. I saw a lot of the right side of my 5er in the mirror. My gas stops are no farther than 200 miles in Kansas and less than that in central KS just because of where the accessible gas stations are located.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Hit the scales yesterday. Total was 16680. Trailer axle 6880 steer axle 4880 drive axle 4920. Only did one weight as the place was hopping and I had two rigs behind me.
Cool. Ballpark you probably had about 900lbs tongue weight so truck would have weighed about 8900lbs or so unless your tongue weights were way off.

deerreeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Elk Mountain on I-80 east of Rawlins, Wyo is not a steep climb, but let me tell you, it is a bear during an April blizzard. Like already mentioned, the wind can howl across 80. Many a time when I lived in CO, there were reports of semis blown over between Rock Springs and Cheyenne.

The pass east of Laramie is a 5% grade for 5 miles going up, but it's more gradual going down into Cheyenne. Used to do that route in my USAF semi when the Laramie Petro's had all-you-can-eat country fried steak.

If you will be cutting south into CO to hit I-70, Kansas can be deceiving. Kansas ain't flat. Between the hills and wind, my mileage bottoms out at about 7 pulling a little heavier than you will be with a 5.7L and same rear gear. Had a 30 mph crosswind in central Kansas when I was headed west a couple of years ago. I saw a lot of the right side of my 5er in the mirror. My gas stops are no farther than 200 miles in Kansas and less than that in central KS just because of where the accessible gas stations are located.
You are absolutely right Kansas is not flat. You figured Denver is over 5,000 ft and St Louis is 600 ft above sea level. That's why you will notice you'll usually get better fuel mileage headed east.

OP
OP
D

Dan Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes. It's the only interstate that goes a cross WY. If you're coming from Idaho US 30 is a decent road that can shave off a little time, and brings you out into 80.

Thanks for your help, You have been very heipful. Thqnks again have a great day!!!

slbenz600

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Pulling a 32ft. 5th wheel RV from Idaho to Collerville, TN. then on to Ocala, FL.
We have: 2019 Ram 2500HD 6.4L Laramie 4x4 short bed. When loaded we expect to
be hauling about 18,000lbs and traveling I 80 through Wyoming & Nebraska.

What are your thoughts about climbing the hills along this route with the hauler we have??!!
Just a little information for your truck with 6.4L. Towing a fifth wheel weighing 17,540 pounds and bumper pull 11,870 pounds this is data right from Ram. If your trailer falls is the range will have no problem.
My 2015 6.4 L I tow over 12,000 pounds doesn't work hard and average 8.5 mpg. the only change I have made is I had an honest dual exhaust system that increased power and mileage.

CKNOW29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO Diesel
I have towed through those hill with my old chevy Silverado 5.3L 3:73 rear end. It made it up them just fine with a 32' TT. I was most likely overloaded but the truck climbed and passed many trucks along the way. I think you will be OK.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes you’ll be fine we just got to Key West, Florida from SC with our 2019 Bighorn and 2600rb Imagine TT. We’re Grossing around 17k pounds and truck did great. Flat interstate at 65-70 mph we averaged around 8 mpg. Once we got off the interstate and never went above 60 mph we averaged around 10mpg. It also has the 6.4 with the 3.73 rear axle ratio. Truck did whatever I asked of it. It’s very hot and humid down this way and the temps were good. Oil temp stayed in the 220s coolant temp 210s and trans temp seemed like it stayed at 167 all the time. Your truck will do great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One other thing. I just set the cruise, guide and relax.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yes you’ll be fine we just got to Key West, Florida from SC with our 2019 Bighorn and 2600rb Imagine TT. We’re Grossing around 17k pounds and truck did great. Flat interstate at 65-70 mph we averaged around 8 mpg. Once we got off the interstate and never went above 60 mph we averaged around 10mpg. It also has the 6.4 with the 3.73 rear axle ratio. Truck did whatever I asked of it. It’s very hot and humid down this way and the temps were good. Oil temp stayed in the 220s coolant temp 210s and trans temp seemed like it stayed at 167 all the time. Your truck will do great.

Did you weigh it? Unless the truck was really loaded you were probably closer to 16,000. Just a guess. My son has an Imagine 2670MK with a dry weight of 6600lbs (about 800lbs higher than yours). He was loaded heavy and the TT weighed 8100lbs (GVWR on his TT is about 8500lbs). We scaled it with his 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's and it came in at 16,180lbs. That was with a full tank of fuel and me and him both in it. He also had a bunch of stuff in the back seat. We were headed to Baytown, TX. He pretty much lives in his TT for work so he is always towing heavy. Truck was 8100lbs and TT was also 8100lbs. Not being argumentative at all, just for awareness and information.

My step-son just bought a 2021 Imagine 3250BH and I towed it 100 miles from the dealership with my 2018 2500 6.4 4.10's (my truck and my sons are identical). We weighed it at 17,260lbs. The TT weighed 9300lbs. Absolutely no trouble at all towing it.

Either way, I agree with your assessment. My son has towed his 2670MK about 8000 miles across the country and has not ever felt he needed more power.