Long shot but I need some insight!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maddogmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummings in it.

This issue I’m having is a pretty loud whining or humming noise when I have my foot on the accelerator even just maintaining speed on the highway (especially when accelerating between 30-50 mph) seams to be more from the front.

It stays the same even through shifts so I ruled out trans, when I burry the accelerator it seams to be not as loud as normal accelerations.

THE only thing that will make it stop is shifting it in to 4wd. It’s completely gone when in 4x4.

I have changed the transfer case fluid and was bright red no metal. Changed both front and rear diff fluid and nothing looked out of wack.

I have inspected the driveshafts and they look normal, u joints don’t appear to be damaged. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have a carrier bearing and a two section rear driveline mounted to it at either end I suspect that particular part.

Oh, and it's "Cummins" not "Cummings" and it's a 5.9L vs. a 5.7L

OP
OP
M

maddogmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a carrier bearing and a two section rear driveline mounted to it at either end I suspect that particular part.

Oh, and it's "Cummins" not "Cummings" and it's a 5.9L vs. a 5.7L

love your username lol! Thank you for your input, I though about that it’s doesn’t look to be in very bad shape and if that where the case would the noise still go away when I shift it in to 4wd?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Don't know if it would go away or not but when my 2007 MegaCan started whining that's what caused it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't know if it would go away or not but when my 2007 MegaCan started whining that's what caused it.
It's "MegaCab", not "MegaCan" bwahahahaha

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nope...it was a "Can"... LOL

My youngest grandson called it the "MegaCan" and it just sorta stuck.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2004 ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummings in it.

This issue I’m having is a pretty loud whining or humming noise when I have my foot on the accelerator even just maintaining speed on the highway (especially when accelerating between 30-50 mph) seams to be more from the front.

It stays the same even through shifts so I ruled out trans, when I burry the accelerator it seams to be not as loud as normal accelerations.

THE only thing that will make it stop is shifting it in to 4wd. It’s completely gone when in 4x4.

I have changed the transfer case fluid and was bright red no metal. Changed both front and rear diff fluid and nothing looked out of wack.

I have inspected the driveshafts and they look normal, u joints don’t appear to be damaged. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If putting the transfer case into 4-high eliminates the noise, I suggest going a little further here by removing the front prop-shaft and performing another test drive. Start in 2WD and see if the noise remains constant.

OP
OP
M

maddogmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not have a chance to do to much today, But I did jack up and support the rear ended and had someone give it gas wile I listened. With the rear end off the ground I did not have the noise happen at all. Now I’m really scratching my head