long term use of RED LINE oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hi guys just wandering if using red line oil on the 5.7 hemi will cause problems in the 70 to 90 k miles or to use other oils on the high miles engines after so many miles on the clock your opinion please

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There wouldn't be any problems with long term use, many of us ran it now for a decade, but it does have 2002 levels zinc with the gov't says is the boogie man for cats. If you have hemi tick, or had hemi tick, what are your options? For those of us who have hemi tick we are all in the same boat, redline will be our ride and die unless the tick comes back. Once you kill that tick I doubt you go buy the oil that made it tick in the first place again. I don't think we have found a better tick killer yet, although lubegard is a nice option. If you use redline for some other reason, feel free to change oils to whatever you feel like.

hemi395 is the better guy to ask, he loves fixing stuff that aint broke until it breaks.

zeb handeland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Burla gives good advice. I used redline twice last year. Loved it. Thought I'd give Schaeffer's a try. Currently at 65k and rising...shocker... I like Schaeffer's cause it has higher moly levels and I can get it locally at NAPA. If I remember I'll let ya know Feb or sooner on how it's working.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
66K Miles on my '16 Longhorn and have been running Redline 5W-30 for about 55K miles. Tried Royal Purple for the first run (after removing break in oil) and engine was noisy. Changed to Redline at next interval and the engine quieted down immensely. I had my first UOA at last change and it came back great. I change it at 10K mile intervals.

My truck is running Redline front to back. I won't be changing engine oils anytime soon but will be doing UOA going forward since I am planning on keeping this truck for a very long time.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been running Redline 5w30 since 3k miles. I now have almost 40k. I just put all Redline gear oil in both front and rear diffs and also my transfer case. I suppose I really like the stuff. Truck runs great.

OP
OP
T

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
any one with over 100k use it will be nice to know thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram Member just posted this last week blackstone thread... Doesn't get much better then that in a hemi no matter what oil you run.

a3d4cb53-5a43-4bf8-9213-f4441793376d-jpeg.225095

Clayvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
I used Redline Shock Proof Gear oil in my Harley Transmission....worked well. Bought a 2018 5.7 with 44k miles. Nice and quiet until the other day....heard the dreaded lifter tick on a warm restart on level ground! Damn...first thing went thru my mind was OIL CHANGE! So I will try the Red juice and let you all know how I likes it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I used Redline Shock Proof Gear oil in my Harley Transmission....worked well. Bought a 2018 5.7 with 44k miles. Nice and quiet until the other day....heard the dreaded lifter tick on a warm restart on level ground! Damn...first thing went thru my mind was OIL CHANGE! So I will try the Red juice and let you all know how I likes it.

The forum has done a bunch of work on it, read this poll. 5w30 is giving best results, especially if the truck lives in Florida.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
used amsoil for 10 years but have a tick dealer say don't hear a thing exhaust hear nothing feb replace driver side hummm right ! so maybe next time use a gallon redline see if it helps ! hate stealers take ur money act dumb and do nothing my mechanic was one to say take it in before it get bad ! at dealer was told well lifetime warranty see if it gets worse ur covered ya right ! guess they don't care seems to me and sounds like a lifter to me old school mechanic but still hear good ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Try uploading a webcam video on youtube scott, see if some of us can see if we think it is bolts or lifters.

tj, corey, u&a, ram newbie and others all had ticks on Amsoil and redline made it better. Amsoil is a fine oil, but redline has specific additives and base oils that are killing ticks more. I don't know of anyone who ticked on reldine but then amsoil made it quiet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye