long term use of RED LINE oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Burla I wondered if a ZDDP booster would help make enough of a difference. The one I saw a few years back read to me as light on what you were buying it for and heavy on price when buying an oil plus the additives versus simply buying reasonably priced & easy to get VR1. Any place that sells Valvoline can get it.

Probably the same when comparing to trying to do that versus the overall quality & additives you get with Red Line. I don’t think I would want to run a ZDDP booster on top of Red Line without talking to somebody “in the know” from Red Line first. Some things don’t play nice together.

I may run Red Line on my next diesel. I would look at running it on my existing diesel but I’ve had good results with my current cheap readily available T6 so I hate to switch and lol fix what ain’t broken as they say. I use 3 gallon a month in the truck. Though perhaps I just don’t know what I don’t know yet since the engine has never been torn down & inspected.

BTW I commercially transport TTs & boats for Mfgrs taking them from plants to dealerships with my 14 Ram Ecodiesel. (Mostly in the 5 to 7k weight range). Dependability & fuel economy is greater profit margin. Bought the truck new before falling into the business contracting with Airstream TTs as their plant is close to my home. I know the ED isn’t hailed for reliability but being a diesel once you get the emissions stuff put in the proper receptacle and a good clean non government botched aftermarket tune they become reliable. Well assuming you’re only working your truck with half ton appropriate loads and still do diligent maintenance.

I had 371k when it pushed a head gasket due to low coolant from a leaking EGR cooler. Tune & EGR cooler delete remedied the root problem. It was tore down & inspected but ran two different oils over time and extended oil change intervals twice having oil filter collapse. So some results were skewed. Live and learn I did.

Since then 357k no motor repair or sludge etc issues running only T6. Friend James has 390k on his ED doing the same business also running T6. With both motors looking forward to the eventual tear down.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Burla I wondered if a ZDDP booster would help make enough of a difference. The one I saw a few years back read to me as light on what you were buying it for and heavy on price when buying an oil plus the additives versus simply buying reasonably priced & easy to get VR1. Any place that sells Valvoline can get it.

Probably the same when comparing to trying to do that versus the overall quality & additives you get with Red Line. I don’t think I would want to run a ZDDP booster on top of Red Line without talking to somebody “in the know” from Red Line first. Some things don’t play nice together.

I may run Red Line on my next diesel. I would look at running it on my existing diesel but I’ve had good results with my current cheap readily available T6 so I hate to switch and lol fix what ain’t broken as they say. I use 3 gallon a month in the truck. Though perhaps I just don’t know what I don’t know yet since the engine has never been torn down & inspected.

BTW I commercially transport TTs & boats for Mfgrs taking them from plants to dealerships with my 14 Ram Ecodiesel. (Mostly in the 5 to 7k weight range). Dependability & fuel economy is greater profit margin. Bought the truck new before falling into the business contracting with Airstream TTs as their plant is close to my home. I know the ED isn’t hailed for reliability but being a diesel once you get the emissions stuff put in the proper receptacle and a good clean non government botched aftermarket tune they become reliable. Well assuming you’re only working your truck with half ton appropriate loads and still do diligent maintenance.

I had 371k when it pushed a head gasket due to low coolant from a leaking EGR cooler. Tune & EGR cooler delete remedied the root problem. It was tore down & inspected but ran two different oils over time and extended oil change intervals twice having oil filter collapse. So some results were skewed. Live and learn I did.

Since then 357k no motor repair or sludge etc issues running only T6. Friend James has 390k on his ED doing the same business also running T6. With both motors looking forward to the eventual tear down.

371k miles, I'd say that was a fair deal, and the head gasket wasn't an oil issue or if it was you would have seen clog and sludge. I'm not sure I would use redline diesel oil, the juice might not be worth the squeeze.

As far as zddp, it is very easily sacrificial which is why it serves as both a anti wear and accelerate wear additive. If you have peak and valleys and sharp spots like a new engine, the zddp will encourage the top of the peak to wear slowly as opposed to randomly and in chunks if the metal didn't have any metallic film on there, and then it repairs itself very easily and repopulates. Where as EP additives such as moly need "extreme pressure" to plate. So going back to hemi tick, I do believe that deal is an extreme pressure situation, so there is no way zinc can remain there in any beneficial form. I guess it really depends on the tick, if it was a slight tick would zddp maybe work? It might, but we have some guys run it and so far no results, but we know what moly is doing for us with redline and lubegard.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I talked with the shop above on the issue, they also thought it was zddp as the answer, they hadn't even considered moly might be part of the answer as well. Mind you these guys been building engines since the 60's, so watching zddp go down with every new oil spec probably chaps their ass. Tri Nuc Moly is fairly new, it might be why they hadn't considered it. Since redline has both high moly and zinc, you are covered. We have had a couple guys try just zddp booster, those engines still ticked. So maybe more testing should have been done dunno.

Great info with the article. Maybe already asked or done before, but what if a guy ran a diesel oil 5/40 or 5/30, typically they have more zinc and designed to take some abuse?

Full disclaimer, I'm currently running redline 5/30 and it does seem to run quieter than than the Amsoil SS 5/20. Can't wait to test it...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
No moly in that diesel oil.