Long Travel CV axle vs Stock for lifted trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Current set up, 5 inch RC, Pro ride duck head torsion keys set at 2 inches and my cv axle's have been giving me a fit. Drivers side keeps pulling off the intermediate shaft, the passenger side has been ok. Got me a set of long travel high articulate cv axle's and problem solved. The pictures are the stock cv on the passenger side and the long travel on the drivers side. There are several places that carry these including your local big box parts stores, you just have to search their website and read the fine print. Or do a google search of cv axle's for lifted trucks. IMG_6404.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

Prism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My factory cv shafts look about the same after I installed a Zone 6" kit on my 2007 Ram. I ended putting the Bilsteins on the lowest setting and used the preload spacers that Zone offers. I saw that my local Napa carries cv shafts for lifted trucks. Where did you get yours from? Truck riding and turning better with new cv longer travel shafts? Especially backing up in a tight turn?

Attachments

• 20220521_150858.jpg
    20220521_150858.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220521_150849.jpg
    20220521_150849.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My factory cv shafts look about the same after I installed a Zone 6" kit on my 2007 Ram. I ended putting the Bilsteins on the lowest setting and used the preload spacers that Zone offers. I saw that my local Napa carries cv shafts for lifted trucks. Where did you get yours from? Truck riding and turning better with new cv longer travel shafts? Especially backing up in a tight turn?
Yes sir it rides, turns and backs much better, no binding or making noise. Crazy enough I got one from NAPA and the other came from O'Rileys. Opened the boxes and they had identical markings and part numbers. My stock cv's would actually pull off of the intermediate axel shafts and wobble. Now they are snug and tight fitting. But i also have my torsion bars tweaked around two inches with after market keys so that added a little more bind to the stock cv's. Now if i can just get this 50mph drive line shake to go away I will be set !!!!!

Prism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes sir it rides, turns and backs much better, no binding or making noise. Crazy enough I got one from NAPA and the other came from O'Rileys. Opened the boxes and they had identical markings and part numbers. My stock cv's would actually pull off of the intermediate axel shafts and wobble. Now they are snug and tight fitting. But i also have my torsion bars tweaked around two inches with after market keys so that added a little more bind to the stock cv's. Now if i can just get this 50mph drive line shake to go away I will be set !!!!!
Good deal. Makes me feel better about replacing mine now. I'm probably going to take the preload spacers out too while I got it all apart. My stock cv shafts are pretty much the only thing making noise now and I'm getting that wonderful shimmy right off from a take off for about 5-10ft now.

Prism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went ahead and finally replaced both my cv shafts with the Trakmotive extended travel units from Rockauto. I replaced the intermediate shafts and seals on both side too.

Attachments

• 20220626_092626.jpg
    20220626_092626.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220626_092635.jpg
    20220626_092635.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220626_113435.jpg
    20220626_113435.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220626_140557.jpg
    20220626_140557.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes Sir !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its amazing how dealers and auto shops used to scare the living hell out of people when it came to replacing cv axels. They made it sound like a nightmare when its not hard at all.

JScroggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7-liter Hemi V8
I went ahead and finally replaced both my cv shafts with the Trakmotive extended travel units from Rockauto. I replaced the intermediate shafts and seals on both side too.

Any update on the quality of this kit??? Looking into purchasing myself since my CV Axle Boot has gone bad. Currently only running a bilstein leveling kit, but in the future would like a 3” lift kit.

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any update on the quality of this kit??? Looking into purchasing myself since my CV Axle Boot has gone bad. Currently only running a bilstein leveling kit, but in the future would like a 3” lift kit.
Mine have done wonderful. Solid unit. I should have done this the day I installed my lift because the factory cv's are to short for longevity.

JScroggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7-liter Hemi V8
Mine have done wonderful. Solid unit. I should have done this the day I installed my lift because the factory cv's are to short for longevity.
Appreciate the feedback. Based on you post I quoted before, I pulled the trigger on them yesterday.

I have the bilstein leveling kit, put it on at 50k (at 108k now) miles and was under my truck the other day and the CV Axle boot is gone. It lasted a while but I’ve never liked how the CV sits when inspecting under my truck and knew it would be gone eventually.

Hopefully doing a good size maintenance work up on Friday.

- Extended CV Axles
- Oil Change
- Tire Rotation
- Trans fluid
- Trans filter
- E brakes replacement
- E brake line adjustment

OP
OP
Ole Buck

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Appreciate the feedback. Based on you post I quoted before, I pulled the trigger on them yesterday.

I have the bilstein leveling kit, put it on at 50k (at 108k now) miles and was under my truck the other day and the CV Axle boot is gone. It lasted a while but I’ve never liked how the CV sits when inspecting under my truck and knew it would be gone eventually.

Hopefully doing a good size maintenance work up on Friday.

- Extended CV Axles
- Oil Change
- Tire Rotation
- Trans fluid
- Trans filter
- E brakes replacement
- E brake line adjustment
Dang thats a full list right there. I was able to change mine without having to remove the entire knuckle. I backed out the three bolts on the hubs and just pulled them off, undone the top ball joint and leaned the knuckle out and rotated it towards the front on the truck and going back in I put the axel through the knuckle hole from the backside and then lined it up on the intermediate shaft. It takes a little force with your hands to get the female end of the axel over the c-clip on the shaft. Unlike a regular cv shaft that is solid and you can bump the ends to seat them, the extended style actually slides internally (male/female) so bumping the end by the nut will not seat it, you have to grab it with both hands and shove it up on the axel itself until it clicks and seats. Dang that sounded like a Penthouse forum letter.