Long tube headers, but need cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaffer957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently acquired a 2012 ram 1500 W/5.7 Hemi. I’ve discovered it has long tube headers but no cats. I’m not 100% sure what I’m getting into here because it seems like it’s been tuned or reprogrammed. There’s no cats and no check engine light although a dealers scan tool can find codes for the cats or whatever, but again, no check engine light. The stability control seems like it’s been tuned out and it doesn’t sound like the MDS is active. Truck is pretty freakin fast. If I put cats on this thing is it going to freak it out? Like is whatever tuning wizardry that’s been done to it going to turn this truck into gigantic boat anchor? It also feels like it may have some shift kitted out transmission because it shifts aggressive, hard and abrupt but it doesn’t feel like it’s messed up. Just looking for advice as I’ve never messed with tuning or engine performance, I’m more of a suspension type guy. I want to make it legal but I don’t know what can of worms I’m opening here. Thanks!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you know what brand headers you have? Most brands will have a name plate on the primary somewhere. If we know that we can provide a bolt in y pipe with cats to swap in. Otherwise you would need to get universal cats and have them cat and welded in. Todays quality high flow cats will only decrease hp by 1-2 on a NA engine when compared to no cats, especially at that power level.

As for the shifting, that can be done through the tune. Which brings us to the tune, I personally would have a re-tuned after the cats are installed and maybe back out some of the aggression on the shifts so its a little easier on the trans.

OP
OP
S

Shaffer957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you, I’ll check for the header brand, how would I go about the retune? It didn’t have a tuner in the truck. There is a different sticker over the top of the PCM. I’m not sure if that’s telling us it’s been messed with? I’m sorry, I know very little about this performance world and I a greatly appreciate the guidance.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a pic of the sticker on the ECM?

Contact a custom tune and programmer from a reputable tuner like Jay Greene, HemiFever, etc...

OP
OP
S

Shaffer957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’d love to leave it as is but we have some local state patrol officers who love giving tickets for this stuff. I just want to add the bare minimum catalytic converters to keep me on the right side of the law.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’d love to leave it as is but we have some local state patrol officers who love giving tickets for this stuff. I just want to add the bare minimum catalytic converters to keep me on the right side of the law.
I understand that. For years I would run my Mustangs without them and then when it came time for an inspection I would swap it out. I had one motorcycle officer try and run me through the ringer, but he couldn't see under car so I avoided the no cat ticket.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it just a fix it ticket? If it is, worry about it when you MIGHT get a ticket later.

You are kind of SOL here with the tune. You are going to need to go to a dealer and have them flash the PCM back to stock. Or, more than likely buy a new PCM from them and have them install it.

Since you don't have the tuner the last owner used, your stock tune is who knows where on a handheld.

BUT, I doubt you will throw a CEL if you add cats since your tune clearly doesn't care if you have them or not. I would just be concerned about the tune if it was my truck. Not knowing who tuned it, AFRs, torque management settings and all sorts of variables would have my worried.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You should hunt down the previous owner , even if it cost a couple of dollars . This may save a lot in the long haul .