Long Tubes, Tunes, and State Inspections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
State inspection in Texas. Years ago I had a Mustang GT with an offroad H, SCT tuner with custom tunes, and the tuner removed O2’s but I couldn’t keep the tune installed during inspection, the emissions check would show “not ready”. So I used spark plug non-foulers on the rear O2s, remove tune, drive 60 miles, then go to this local shady inspection place that didn’t care what the car sounded or smelled like, as long as the computer passed they didn’t care.

Ok, on our trucksI’ve read LTs with high flow cats won’t guarantee no CELs, have read that tuners can remove CELs...but what about inspection? Do custom tunes offered today remove the CEL but tuning can stay installed during an OBDII emissions check during inspection?

If like to run LTs preferably with high flow cats and that just work, but what are my best options? Just run LTs with no cats? Does the non-fouler trick work with our 5.7 Hemis?

Truck is a 17 reg cab 1500 Sport RT 2WD

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
State inspection in Texas. Years ago I had a Mustang GT with an offroad H, SCT tuner with custom tunes, and the tuner removed O2’s but I couldn’t keep the tune installed during inspection, the emissions check would show “not ready”. So I used spark plug non-foulers on the rear O2s, remove tune, drive 60 miles, then go to this local shady inspection place that didn’t care what the car sounded or smelled like, as long as the computer passed they didn’t care.

Ok, on our trucksI’ve read LTs with high flow cats won’t guarantee no CELs, have read that tuners can remove CELs...but what about inspection? Do custom tunes offered today remove the CEL but tuning can stay installed during an OBDII emissions check during inspection?

If like to run LTs preferably with high flow cats and that just work, but what are my best options? Just run LTs with no cats? Does the non-fouler trick work with our 5.7 Hemis?

You are correct that with custom tunes, long tubes and no cats can have the OBD monitors set to ready but the custom tune has to be done correctly. I have had plenty that I had to fix because things were just turned off in the tune to prevent the check engine light from coming on.

I have installed long tube headers and tuned plenty of trucks like yours without cats and have them pass a state inspection. I always use the non-foulers too. I actually use two non-foulers per downstream oxygen sensor.

I drill the first one so that the sensor will fit inside of the non-fouler and then I install a second one that I pack with steel wool. Two non-foulers stacked together remove the oxygen sensor from the exhaust stream complete but provide just enough flow to keep the voltage where it needs to be to pass the monitor.

One of my trucks is a 2016 RAM 1500 5.7 that has long tubes, no cats and a pair of non-foulers on the downstream oxygen sensors. With the way my tune is set up my catalyst and oxygen sensor monitor will pass on the second drive cycle and be ready for a Texas state inspection.

OP
OP
Milspec

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct that with custom tunes, long tubes and no cats can have the OBD monitors set to ready but the custom tune has to be done correctly. I have had plenty that I had to fix because things were just turned off in the tune to prevent the check engine light from coming on.

I have installed long tube headers and tuned plenty of trucks like yours without cats and have them pass a state inspection. I always use the non-foulers too. I actually use two non-foulers per downstream oxygen sensor.

I drill the first one so that the sensor will fit inside of the non-fouler and then I install a second one that I pack with steel wool. Two non-foulers stacked together remove the oxygen sensor from the exhaust stream complete but provide just enough flow to keep the voltage where it needs to be to pass the monitor.

One of my trucks is a 2016 RAM 1500 5.7 that has long tubes, no cats and a pair of non-foulers on the downstream oxygen sensors. With the way my tune is set up my catalyst and oxygen sensor monitor will pass on the second drive cycle and be ready for a Texas state inspection.
Thank you, very helpful. Yes, I had the double non-foulers with the first one drilled out on the Mustang, I think I still have them somewhere.
But it’s good to know that both a tune and the foulers will work.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In Maryland you have the choice of going through an emissions inspection lane that his done by a person or you can go through the self serve kiosk and just plug the computer in to do the read. The person will take a mirror and have a look under your ride for exhaust cut-outs or missing CATs.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I can't imagine you would pass visual inspection w/o cats, on a modern vehicle. Probably won't pass with a tune, since that advances timing and engine runs rich, couple that with no cats, fail. Long tubes, hi-flow cats, sans tune ought to be okay, with factory ECM. Might try O2 sensor spacers if CEL sets.

OP
OP
Milspec

Milspec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 16 Ram and have ARH long tubes with high flow cats. I also have a custom tune by Hemifever and have never failed state inspection here in Texas.
Jay
Thanks Jay, and Semper Fi!

Good to know it’s not impossible!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know the places that I have taken my ram no visual inspection was done of the exhaust system up in DFW. They just plug it in and check the lights etc. I don't miss the days of swapping out the cats on my fox body to get it inspected. I agree with Jay and do his route if I were going to add LTs.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this issue in missouri running jba catless with hemifever tune. OBD hookup would read not ready for o2 sensors so emissions would fail. With foulers and the tune off, it would fail. Two years ago, a shop did something, I have no idea what, to pass, and charged me $150. They wouldn't tell me what they did, but my understanding is that you couldn't really fudge a missouri emission test since they clamped down with software from the company that runs CA tests. Missouri doesn't do a visual inspection, just obd hookup.

Fast forward to this year. Went back to the same shop and couldn't get a pass with the tune in and of course the guy that got it to pass prior didn't work there anymore. I moved to a non-emissions required county that day and registered the truck there, so I was lucky to have the option. This will likely be an issue for me when I go to sell the truck though, which I am seriously considering at the moment with vehicle prices so high.
@Fast69Mopar - are you able to tweak a hemifever tune to fix this? Or is it something hemifever can fix?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are some options for fixes. Let us know if we can help. We offer most header brands including the best options of ARH, SW, and AFE. Message me for me info and a quote if interested.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had this issue in missouri running jba catless with hemifever tune. OBD hookup would read not ready for o2 sensors so emissions would fail. With foulers and the tune off, it would fail. Two years ago, a shop did something, I have no idea what, to pass, and charged me $150. They wouldn't tell me what they did, but my understanding is that you couldn't really fudge a missouri emission test since they clamped down with software from the company that runs CA tests. Missouri doesn't do a visual inspection, just obd hookup.

Fast forward to this year. Went back to the same shop and couldn't get a pass with the tune in and of course the guy that got it to pass prior didn't work there anymore. I moved to a non-emissions required county that day and registered the truck there, so I was lucky to have the option. This will likely be an issue for me when I go to sell the truck though, which I am seriously considering at the moment with vehicle prices so high.
@Fast69Mopar - are you able to tweak a hemifever tune to fix this? Or is it something hemifever can fix?
There are some things in the tune that can be changed to get then OBD monitors set to ready. I am not a master tuner by any means but I am normally able to get the monitors set but it can take some time.

With the Hemifever tune I would email him and ask him about his tune and see if he can help.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't imagine you would pass visual inspection w/o cats, on a modern vehicle. Probably won't pass with a tune, since that advances timing and engine runs rich, couple that with no cats, fail. Long tubes, hi-flow cats, sans tune ought to be okay, with factory ECM. Might try O2 sensor spacers if CEL sets.
In Texas for any vehicle newer than 1996 there is no sniffer test. It is all done through OBDII.