Looking at 2020 to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LifeAngler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone, I have a scheduled test drive for a 2020 3.6 4x4 this week and wanted to see if there are any issues I should be looking out for during the test drive as well as see if there are any major problems with these. I’ve researched all the normal truck websites but I’ve always found it better to ask the people who drive them daily and generally get more info on truck forums. Thanks guys. This is a 1500 Bighorn btw.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haven't had a 6 cylinder Ram in years, but if you plan any heavier towing you are going to feel it pretty quick. It is all about your specific use. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

LifeAngler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't had a 6 cylinder Ram in years, but if you plan any heavier towing you are going to feel it pretty quick. It is all about your specific use. Good luck.
Wouldn’t be towing other than a possible small fishing boat in the future. Will be doing a test drive on the truck this Saturday. Never owned a Ram so excited to test one out but want to make sure no major issues exist with these truck before I decide to buy it. From everything I’ve read, the Ram 1500s seem pretty reliable overall.

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've read the 3.6's like to leak from the oil filter housing as they age. Plastic part, warps/becomes brittle with time.

I test drove both the 3.6 and the 5.7 albeit in the 4th gen body, not 5th. Personally I couldn't find a reason to not buy the 5.7. I don't really care about MPG and the difference wasn't enormous between the two.

To me the Big Horns are the best optioned trucks of any brand for what you pay. I compared the 1500 Big Horn to the Ford XLT, and I've got options that even their Lariats of the same year didn't have. (Front Park Sensors). I don't think you can go wrong here, but work a warranty in if at all possible. I'm going through the typical used vehicle stuff that I want fixed right now.

Best of luck!

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big horn look for the level 2 or B or whatever they call it now equipment group. Get heated seats and steering wheel for not much more than without that equipment group, maybe no difference in price pre owned. When I bought my ‘17 that was what got me in to a ram. I could get heated seats without paying ten grand for the next trim up in other brands with leather. Would not go anything other than ram now. On my second one. Check the rear window for leaks and headliner. The brake light can leak and the rear window on ‘19-20’s develop leaks if it hasn’t been replaced by the new style rear window under warranty already. Mine have both been 5.7’s, can’t speak to v6.