Looking at a ram 2017-2019 v6 towing experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My father is looking at getting a 2017-2019 1500 pentastar. He plans to use it for his business mainly but occasionally (1 or 2 times) a year, he will be towing his boat. Its 25ft long, 8ft wide and weigh 6000lbs including the trailer. I'm wondering if I should talk him into getting the 5.7 but he seldom tows and would really benefit on the mpg and reliability/simplicity the v6 offers. He would be getting a base model quad cab 4x4.

I have a 2017 5.7 which tows my camper really well. He isn't the most keenest person when it comes to vehicle maintenance (goes to jiffy lube) so i'm afraid the cam/lifters will be a problem later on.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My father is looking at getting a 2017-2019 1500 pentastar. He plans to use it for his business mainly but occasionally (1 or 2 times) a year, he will be towing his boat. Its 25ft long, 8ft wide and weigh 6000lbs including the trailer. I'm wondering if I should talk him into getting the 5.7 but he seldom tows and would really benefit on the mpg and reliability/simplicity the v6 offers. He would be getting a base model quad cab 4x4.

I have a 2017 5.7 which tows my camper really well. He isn't the most keenest person when it comes to vehicle maintenance (goes to jiffy lube) so i'm afraid the cam/lifters will be a problem later on.
That should be comfortably within the Pentastar's capabilities with some room left over for payload.

I honestly would only recommend the Hemi for frequent towing (because it just does it better) or if you just want a V8. In my experience, rarely is anyone disappointed with the 3.6L. Its quite often the opposite, folks are pleasantly surprised with the 3.6 8-speed pairing.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gero

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking the same as well. I just have to make sure the truck does indeed have the 3.55 rear end and grab some timbren springs.

I also probably have to explain that it may scream at 4000-5000rpm on the grades and that is normal.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That weight will only be within the pentastar's realm if the truck is equipped with the 3.55 gears. They come standard with 3.21's which for what ever reason, drops the tow capacity considerably per the manufacturers numbers.

My brother owns a 2019 Ram 1500 classic quad cab, pentastar 4x4 w/ the 3.55s. It tows his ~18 ft fiberglass runabout w/ single axle trailer without issue, but that whole setup probably isn't more than ~4200lbs or so.

He specifically sought out the 3.55s which were a $95 option for this vintage. LOL.

They're not super easy to find.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
The new 2021 is rated 6900# with the 321 gears. Weird how that works.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was thinking the same as well. I just have to make sure the truck does indeed have the 3.55 rear end and grab some timbren springs.
You can check a vehicle build sheet by entering the VIN here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing
That will tell how it left the factory including axle ratio.

You probably won't need the Timbrens as boats usually have much less tongue weight percentage wise, 7%-8% isn't uncommon. Timbrens can make the ride quite jarring if they not loaded enough.
I towed a buddies 24' boat that was about 7K lbs with the trailer without any major squatting problems.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 17 3.6 3.55 RCSB with 2wd (Express model). I towed a small uhaul a couple times and knew it was there, but didn't have any issues. It was rated to tow 7700 lbs. If you get a longer cab, longer bed, higher trim, and / or 4wd, it will be lower because of the added weight to the truck. I would make sure to look up the capacities at RAM.com with the VIN number before purchasing. I would be hard pressed to recommend towing over 6k pounds a lot with my truck (which was basically the best tow rating with the V6). But only a couple times should be fine. But I would add trailer brakes if it's not equipped.

OP
OP
Gero

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3.55 is hard to find. Found 3 rams in the area and they all had the 3.21. We'll keep looking. Yes to the trailer brakes. Definitely needed.

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 18, V6, 4x4 Quad cab and tow a 4600# dry weight camper loaded with everything we need for a family of 4 with teenager kids, no real issue except for long steep climbs which I just take my time with. Have a weight distribution hitch and brake controller.

I have 3.55s and am running LT 275/65r20 tires, lifted 2.5" up front and 2" rear.

maxiderm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I bought my 2018 Express Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 with the V6 without even knowing what gearing it had. I had no plans to tow anything heavy, I mainly wanted it so I could haul stuff in the bed if I needed to or tow a small trailer if I ever needed to move residences (or help someone move) light stuff. After I got it I entered my VIN online because I was curious what my towing capacity was. It confirmed I had the 3.55 gearing and tow package and said my max towing capacity with over 7000lbs, which surprised me a lot.

Recently I did in fact have to move and ended up towing a fairly large towing trailer and loaded it up with heavy appliances and furniture. I would guess it was only like 3 or 4 thousand pounds, but I was surprised how easy it handled it. I could definitely feel that I was towing lol but it handled it well. It was mostly on flat ground, but I wouldn't be surprised if light grades would be just fine. It will rev higher, but the V6 doesn't have much torque at low RPMs, it really needs to get above 3k RPMs before the power and torque start to kick in. If it has the towing hitch and plug in on it, it should have the towing mode button on the dash that keeps it in the lower gears while towing/hauling - definitely use that.

A 6k lbs boat/trailer is pushing near the top of the towing capacity of the V6 with 3.55 gearing. I would be concerned if where he was towing to/from had long periods of incline. If not, I think the V6 with the 3.55s would be fine.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gero, you don't say wether your pop is going to get 2 or 4 wheel drive. But if Pop finds a really nice 2 WD with 3.21s, I'd just regearing to 3.92s. The Pentastar and 3.92s would be a good combo. 4.10s would be even better.

I love the Pentastar in my 2014 Wrangler. It's a revver. Let it spin.

I ride motorcycles. 4-5000 rpm, for a little while at least, is fine with me.

marc cormier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
you guy's are talking about electric brake controler but most (if not all) boat trailer have hydraulic brake, electric parts do not mix very well with water. but i agree that he will need 3.55 axle gear.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I tow with a '15 V6 that is max payload and pulling a travel trailer. It is ok for occasional use on flat-ish terrain and willing to drive rather slow on the hills.

In the end - I supercharged it because I was towing a lot and most of it was hills/mountains, high-altitude, etc. I could not stand going super slow on long trips.

If I had a boat that I took out occasionally to a relatively close lake, the stock V6 would be totally acceptable. Especially becuase the mileage is so good when not towing. Super economical.

Get the optional 3.55 rear-end. The 3.21 kinda stinks.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My father towed a 8,500lb travel trailer for over 25k miles from Texas to Canada, through the mountains and all over the US with his V6 4x4 CC. He would comment the "little V6" did much better than he thought it would. It spent hours running above 4k rpm.

When trading it in for a 5.7L later, he made the comment the V6 seemed to have lost a little power, lol. Once he towed the trailer with the 5.7L, he said it was worlds better. But, he would mention the V6 truck as his favorite because of the fuel economy it would get when not towing.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I had a 13 RC with 3:55s that got totaled. It would pull 5k pounds like it wasn't there. Airlift bags and stiff tires. Had to get a used 17 QC with 3:21 because that was all that was available in Texas. The difference is night and day. I had to haul 10 3000 pound trailer loads from Houston to NE Texas, 250 miles. If I had had any time, I would have had 3:73 gears put in. It was awful. But to tow a boat on weekends on flat terrain, he should be fine.

OP
OP
Gero

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We're gonna wait for now. Too hard to find what we need and the inflated prices suck.