Looking at an '04 1500 RCSB 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well... It's been a while, my life and my lifestyle have changed and if I'm real honest I'm 100% tired of truck payments.

All that aside, I'm lookin at a '04 Ram 1500 4x SLT. Of the 10's of Dodge / Ram trucks, I've never owned a 3G. It seems that the computers on the 03/04s are not readily tune-able, but I'm not really planning on doing anything too crazy (if at all) to it.

The only known issues are an intermittent power steering issue, and the pass door switch panel seems inoperative (though they work when controlled from driver's door).

What things should I look for on it? Overall it seems clean, panel gaps are... well in line with the age of the vehicle. Doesn't look like the fenders have ever been off / repaired. Bedside is straight, can't see any repairs on anything. Current owner bought it used about 2 years ago, it's got 141k on it, fires right up and runs smooth without any tick (very different than my '16 Ram Hemi with 143k).

Talk to me friends!

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Eeesh, I guess no input eh?

I bought it, it certainly needs some power steering work. I think I'm going to replace every darned thing in the system and just not worry about it. Might do UCAs and sway bar links too.

Farmer888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've been around a few that the window controls dont work on back windows except when controlled from the drivers door. Never fixed it but must be some sort of electrical issues ina wiring harness somewhere.
I Just did spark plugs on my 03 hemi. They were way overdue, I'd recommend changing yours out too, they are supposed to be done every 30,000 miles.

SD4019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
You mentioned 03/04’s are not readily tunable. I have an 04 I recently purchased and was planning on doing a Superchips Flashpaq on it. What to you mean about not readily tunable?

RPMRamFury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7 HEMI
04s and 05s were dofferent computer wise to my knowledge.
Show us some pics.
The 03 to 05s were the best rams ever built for several reasons. Good choice in truck.
The window switch way to fix is to jump or bypass the master window lock switch

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You mentioned 03/04’s are not readily tunable. I have an 04 I recently purchased and was planning on doing a Superchips Flashpaq on it. What to you mean about not readily tunable?
I don't mean a canned tune, I mean a custom tune. The parameters that tuners can adjust are still limited. I guess since the later years were easier tuners just gave up on these years. I always have aspirations and dreams of some wild over the top turbo hemi that'll likely never happen.

OP
OP
WhiteExpress

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need to find a better shop. Asked them to ease off on the torsion bars to set the front end back down and get it in proper alignment. I don't think they touched the torsion bars, my camber is crap and the truck pulls to the left.

*sigh*

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye