Looking at buying a Cummins - questions/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys,

I am looking at potentially buying a 2500 diesel and wanted to ask a few questions. I'm looking for something about 2014 - 2017 with around 40 - 80k miles. I don't know much about Cummins and have been a Chevy guy so I have a few questions and am looking for some advice. I'm not necessarily leaving Chevy for Dodge, but with being a larger purchase, and I always hear good things about the Cummins, I definitely want to check them out.

1) What are the problem areas of these trucks and what questions should I ask?

2) When do glow plugs and injectors typically need replacing? How expensive are they, and how easy are they to DIY?

3) What other normal maintenance/wear and tear should I be aware on these trucks?

4) Are there any specific years, models or features I should avoid?

5) I'm in California, so unfortunately I have to keep emissions crap - what problems/things to avoid in that regard?

Thanks

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look for high idle times, NO deleted or tuned trucks ( I see you in Kalifornia so may not be an issue). See if they have maintenance records.
Do you plan on using it to tow? If so what kind of weights are you looking at? (make sure you don't really need a 3500)

No real problem areas if the truck has been cared for.

No glow plugs in these trucks (hasn't been in years) They have a grid heater and it doesn't need replacing. Injectors should be good for long log time (assuming it's not deleted and tuned)

You are in the good years, 14-18

If you have to keep the emissions not much you can do about that. Trucks run just fine with it. I've seen a few with problems but to be honest it's pretty small numbers.

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
B

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. Had no idea they didn't have glow plugs, and I have never even heard of a grid heater - I'll have to do some research. I tow, but not a lot, and not too heavy. I have a small travel trailer currently (which I pull with my Chevy 1500HD) - so no issues there. Eventually will want to get a larger trailer or 5th wheel - and then the random boat for a buddy or trailer here and there.

What do you mean by look for high idle times? I assume you mean sitting idle/stop and go city driving. How would I check for that, other than asking the seller?

Also, is there any way to check if its been tuned other than asking the seller? What is "deleted" mean?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. Had no idea they didn't have glow plugs, and I have never even heard of a grid heater - I'll have to do some research. I tow, but not a lot, and not too heavy. I have a small travel trailer currently (which I pull with my Chevy 1500HD) - so no issues there. Eventually will want to get a larger trailer or 5th wheel - and then the random boat for a buddy or trailer here and there.

What do you mean by look for high idle times? I assume you mean sitting idle/stop and go city driving. How would I check for that, other than asking the seller?

Also, is there any way to check if its been tuned other than asking the seller? What is "deleted" mean?

Grid heater just heats the incoming air (only for cold weather starts) so no individual cylinder heating with glow plugs any more.

Idles times you can see by scrolling through the menus in the gauge cluster. High idle times is just a indication that the truck may have been used as a work truck. And sitting and idling all the time isn't the best thing for the truck. Probably a non issue but it's something to look at.

Deleted just means all the emissions stuff has been removed. Requires a tuner on top of that to work once deleted. Usually they are tuned and deleted but there are some emission intact tunes out there. I doubt you will run into a tuned truck at a dealer. Maybe a private sale?

Reactions: SyN
OP
OP
B

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok I got it. I'm looking pretty seriously at a 2015 Tradesmen with 70k miles, seems to have decent maintenance records with only an odd 20k mile gap between regular service intervals - hard to say if they didn't just do an oil change themselves, or somewhere that didn't put it on carfax, or if they truly went 20k miles without an oil change. I know the Tradesman is the base trim, so I really need to check it out to see if it'll work. I dont needs all the bells and whistles, but I dont want too bare bones either.

This is perfect info for me to look into - thanks.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
There are SO many details that you want/need to know about a used diesel truck before purchasing!

It literally gave me migraines! Thus my main reason I bought a new 2017!

Like stated above: If possible avoid a deleted/tuned Diesel.
7 out of 10 have been abused in some way shape or form.
The many hours of idle time is not good either!

Definitely ask for up to date service records. If there are none? Walk away!

I'm sure you will receive a A$$ load of advice!
Good Luck!

My perspective might be totally different then most since I bought my 2017 with the intention on keeping her for 10-15 years.
Most owners don't keep there trucks for more then 5 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another thought - what would be considered high idle time for a 2015 with 70k miles? I'm assuming this reading will be in hours?

Edit: Ok, deleted my last edit since there were no responses to it. But it has 386 idle hours and 1281 Drive hours. Quick research says 10 - 20% idle is about normal - not sure if that should be calculated as a % in relation to drive, or total time. So is that 386/1281 = 30% idle time, or 386/1667 (total time) = 23% idle time?

I also saw a number of people saying they felt the idle time indicated was inaccurate.

Having a hard time of making heads or tails here.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Idle time can also be low speed traffic, stop and go sorts of driving.

Idle hours are figured as a percentage of total time.

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
Hey guys,

I am looking at potentially buying a 2500 diesel and wanted to ask a few questions. I'm looking for something about 2014 - 2017 with around 40 - 80k miles. I don't know much about Cummins and have been a Chevy guy so I have a few questions and am looking for some advice. I'm not necessarily leaving Chevy for Dodge, but with being a larger purchase, and I always hear good things about the Cummins, I definitely want to check them out.

1) What are the problem areas of these trucks and what questions should I ask?

2) When do glow plugs and injectors typically need replacing? How expensive are they, and how easy are they to DIY?

3) What other normal maintenance/wear and tear should I be aware on these trucks?

4) Are there any specific years, models or features I should avoid?

5) I'm in California, so unfortunately I have to keep emissions crap - what problems/things to avoid in that regard?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
While I am no expert in the field of diesel ownership, I can tell you about my real life experiences.
First, I owned a 2014 3500 SLT, no real fancy, just a good dependable truck. I used it on the farm as well as travel to and from Minnesota (Mayo Clinic) 2000 miles round trip. My fuel averaged 22.00 MPG Hwy. Note: I had installed a tonneau cover which in my opinion added to the overall MPG. Oil changes every 15,000 miles (Per the Oil Monitor) 12 quarts of Rotella T-6 full Syn. Fuel filters, front and rear as required by the monitor, about $220.00 at the dealer. Original tires Firestones were changed at 25,000 miles, replaced with Michelin LTX.

Areas to look at: the front suspension. Dodge has no grease fittings to speak of.

Diesel is not the same as gasoline engines, in that they need to warm up before running off down the freeway, also allows time for the torque converter to fill and warm.

I grew up in Southern California so emission controls have been part of my auto-owning years for every, no problem for me.

Enjoy the truck I hope your experiences are as good as mine have been.

Good luck

Larry

OP
OP
B

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for all of the advice. I really do appreciate it. I want to make sure I do my due diligence.

If you dont mind - does this carfax raise red flags? Theres no service, which OK, maybe it was done by the owner, or by a shop that doesnt report it. But then it almost seems like it was repo'd or something, just randomly went to auction without a sold event... Truck almost seems too good to be true...

Truck: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3C6UR5CL8HG715911

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...911&compCode=gs2HcdBeNAXnFV4Va99ecJOecRjKqzyG

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Will they give you access to the info of the previous owner?
If so: Call & ask a lot of questions.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for all of the advice. I really do appreciate it. I want to make sure I do my due diligence.

If you dont mind - does this carfax raise red flags? Theres no service, which OK, maybe it was done by the owner, or by a shop that doesnt report it. But then it almost seems like it was repo'd or something, just randomly went to auction without a sold event... Truck almost seems too good to be true...

Truck: https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3C6UR5CL8HG715911

Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...911&compCode=gs2HcdBeNAXnFV4Va99ecJOecRjKqzyG

Can't really see anything jumping out at me from that data. Tires look a little cut up so it wasn't a highway princess. (maybe they lived on a gravel road?) Not a big deal though

Original sticker price on that truck was $51,720 so the original owner probably paid about $43K for it new. It's about as basic a truck you can get it that line. Have you priced a new one? It might not be that far off from that asking price. Of course I don't know what the market is like in your area.

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I was in the same boat as you just a few months ago. Looking at trucks with low mileage and then trying to read the tea leaves as far as how they've been driven and treated. Then when I started looking at the price differential between a late model used truck with little or no warranty and unknowable history and a brand new Tradesman it was a no-brainer. I bought a new Tradesman. Yes it is a supposedly "bare bones" truck but thats actually not true. It has a lot of features and everything I want or need and is very comfortable. And I have a full warranty a no worries about it's history. Something to consider if you can. It might even be a good time to get a good deal on a new '18. Pay no attention to the sticker price. You can get it for $10,000 + less than that. I paid 42,000 and change for mine this past June and sticker was 53-something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you everyone for all the advice. A dealer near me has a bare bones 18 Tradesman listed for 47k, which is well outside of my budget, but I think I'll go kick the tires and see how much they can move for me.

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Thank you everyone for all the advice. A dealer near me has a bare bones 18 Tradesman listed for 47k, which is well outside of my budget, but I think I'll go kick the tires and see how much they can move for me.
If that is a new one and the sticker price is 47k then they can and will move a lot. Even if its used its likely that is nowhere near their bottom price. It can't be. Good luck.

Last edited:

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
Working at the dealer since 2012 i'll tell you to be careful buying something with 70k since you cant do what our NC boys do and delete ALL emissions. You're nearing the end of the emissions warranty and the main failure points in these trucks is the emission system. SCR which there's a recall for some trucks and DPF right behind the turbo. Replaced a few DEF pump/level sensors and injectors as well and if they fail you arent driving very far and you'll be taking it to the dealer to fix it unless you know a buddy with a witech2 and dealer access. The rear NOx (o2) sensor is prone to failure too The computer/sensor are one assembly and not cheap. Also since the emissions has to stay the EGR coolers are known to fail and you'll start losing coolant and it goes directly down into the turbo. at 80k Cummins recommends removing the EGR and cooler and cleaning them to prolong life. A new EGR is over $650 so I'd advise considering this. MOC flush has a tool that uses air that you can clean them with using throttle cleaner just by removing the crossover tube and putting the tool in and it'll vaporize the cleaner and it works well. That's what we used to do and had no issues long term. High idle time tends to soot up the DPF and it CAN pass a point of no return where regeneration can't clean it. There's 2 different auto trans the 68RFE chrysler corporate and AISIN. It's preference but the AISIN will be a better tow trans but the fluid can be pricier for maintenance and they shift a little funky. Check 3rd brake light and cargo lights. If any are out the assy is probably leaking. Replace all bulbs and Seal with soem RTV and good to go. Also there's 3 radio options. The radios are prone to failure but odds are 14/15 it may have already been replaced under warranty already but that can be expensive once things go south and the big screen RA3/RA4 are integrated and cant be bypassed like the RA2 2-knob radio. However the engine no issues whatsoever. We had a string of bad water pumps from 14 up but they've recalled them and should get fixed for free. I've replaced an injector or 2 over the years but those were special cases and i've found some diesel shops that specialize in CUMMINS that can rebuild or get injectors directly from bosch saving the mopar markup

OP
OP
B

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I ended up buying a 2016 SLT with 40k miles, got a 3yr/100k (so 60k more miles) extended comprehensive warranty and got them to throw a new set of AT tires on it - with how much these things are to repair, I wanted the warranty before walking in so its not like they up sold me on that - I figured if I use it once, good chance it'll pay for itself. Everything is completely stock, which is what I wanted. The only things I didn't get with it that I wanted was a backup camera and tow mirrors, but those are nominal expenses I can do down the road - overall it has some nice trim features that I wasn't really concerned with but still appreciate. It has complete up to date service records and correct intervals and was locally owned (originally sold from the local dealer I ended up buying it from). I think I got a good one as best I can tell.

Now I'm just waiting for my daughter to wake up from her nap so I can throw her in there and we can go put her on the highway and drive around :D

NorthwestGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I ended up buying a 2016 SLT with 40k miles, got a 3yr/100k (so 60k more miles) extended comprehensive warranty and got them to throw a new set of AT tires on it - with how much these things are to repair, I wanted the warranty before walking in so its not like they up sold me on that - I figured if I use it once, good chance it'll pay for itself. Everything is completely stock, which is what I wanted. The only things I didn't get with it that I wanted was a backup camera and tow mirrors, but those are nominal expenses I can do down the road - overall it has some nice trim features that I wasn't really concerned with but still appreciate. It has complete up to date service records and correct intervals and was locally owned (originally sold from the local dealer I ended up buying it from). I think I got a good one as best I can tell.

Now I'm just waiting for my daughter to wake up from her nap so I can throw her in there and we can go put her on the highway and drive around :D
Congratulations. It sounds like you're well protected and got one that probably was treated well.

recian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24v
The tow mirrors and backup camera can be added with MOPAR genuine accessory kits from the dealer and I'd highly recommend them since they work like stock, dont give you weird issues down the road that cant be diagnosed because there's no wiring diagram and if it's a mopar warranty, it will usually be covered by that warranty. Backup camera with big screen will be displayed on radio and in the mirror on the basic radios