Looking at buying a Cummins - questions/advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by BahlSacke, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SyN

SyN 6.7L CTD Owner

Ram Year:
    2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
    Engine:
    6.7L CTD
    Will they give you access to the info of the previous owner?
    If so: Call & ask a lot of questions.

2. mtnrider

mtnrider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins

Can't really see anything jumping out at me from that data. Tires look a little cut up so it wasn't a highway princess. (maybe they lived on a gravel road?) Not a big deal though

Original sticker price on that truck was $51,720 so the original owner probably paid about $43K for it new. It's about as basic a truck you can get it that line. Have you priced a new one? It might not be that far off from that asking price. Of course I don't know what the market is like in your area.

3. NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel 6.7
    I was in the same boat as you just a few months ago. Looking at trucks with low mileage and then trying to read the tea leaves as far as how they've been driven and treated. Then when I started looking at the price differential between a late model used truck with little or no warranty and unknowable history and a brand new Tradesman it was a no-brainer. I bought a new Tradesman. Yes it is a supposedly "bare bones" truck but thats actually not true. It has a lot of features and everything I want or need and is very comfortable. And I have a full warranty a no worries about it's history. Something to consider if you can. It might even be a good time to get a good deal on a new '18. Pay no attention to the sticker price. You can get it for $10,000 + less than that. I paid 42,000 and change for mine this past June and sticker was 53-something.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:35 PM
  4. BahlSacke

BahlSacke Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    None
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. A dealer near me has a bare bones 18 Tradesman listed for 47k, which is well outside of my budget, but I think I'll go kick the tires and see how much they can move for me.

5. NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel 6.7
    If that is a new one and the sticker price is 47k then they can and will move a lot. Even if its used its likely that is nowhere near their bottom price. It can't be. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:37 PM
  6. recian

recian Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 24v
    Working at the dealer since 2012 i'll tell you to be careful buying something with 70k since you cant do what our NC boys do and delete ALL emissions. You're nearing the end of the emissions warranty and the main failure points in these trucks is the emission system. SCR which there's a recall for some trucks and DPF right behind the turbo. Replaced a few DEF pump/level sensors and injectors as well and if they fail you arent driving very far and you'll be taking it to the dealer to fix it unless you know a buddy with a witech2 and dealer access. The rear NOx (o2) sensor is prone to failure too The computer/sensor are one assembly and not cheap. Also since the emissions has to stay the EGR coolers are known to fail and you'll start losing coolant and it goes directly down into the turbo. at 80k Cummins recommends removing the EGR and cooler and cleaning them to prolong life. A new EGR is over $650 so I'd advise considering this. MOC flush has a tool that uses air that you can clean them with using throttle cleaner just by removing the crossover tube and putting the tool in and it'll vaporize the cleaner and it works well. That's what we used to do and had no issues long term. High idle time tends to soot up the DPF and it CAN pass a point of no return where regeneration can't clean it. There's 2 different auto trans the 68RFE chrysler corporate and AISIN. It's preference but the AISIN will be a better tow trans but the fluid can be pricier for maintenance and they shift a little funky. Check 3rd brake light and cargo lights. If any are out the assy is probably leaking. Replace all bulbs and Seal with soem RTV and good to go. Also there's 3 radio options. The radios are prone to failure but odds are 14/15 it may have already been replaced under warranty already but that can be expensive once things go south and the big screen RA3/RA4 are integrated and cant be bypassed like the RA2 2-knob radio. However the engine no issues whatsoever. We had a string of bad water pumps from 14 up but they've recalled them and should get fixed for free. I've replaced an injector or 2 over the years but those were special cases and i've found some diesel shops that specialize in CUMMINS that can rebuild or get injectors directly from bosch saving the mopar markup

7. BahlSacke

BahlSacke Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    None
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I ended up buying a 2016 SLT with 40k miles, got a 3yr/100k (so 60k more miles) extended comprehensive warranty and got them to throw a new set of AT tires on it - with how much these things are to repair, I wanted the warranty before walking in so its not like they up sold me on that - I figured if I use it once, good chance it'll pay for itself. Everything is completely stock, which is what I wanted. The only things I didn't get with it that I wanted was a backup camera and tow mirrors, but those are nominal expenses I can do down the road - overall it has some nice trim features that I wasn't really concerned with but still appreciate. It has complete up to date service records and correct intervals and was locally owned (originally sold from the local dealer I ended up buying it from). I think I got a good one as best I can tell.

Now I'm just waiting for my daughter to wake up from her nap so I can throw her in there and we can go put her on the highway and drive around :D

NorthwestGuy and mtnrider like this.
  8. NorthwestGuy

NorthwestGuy Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Diesel 6.7
    Congratulations. It sounds like you're well protected and got one that probably was treated well.

9. recian

recian Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 24v
    The tow mirrors and backup camera can be added with MOPAR genuine accessory kits from the dealer and I'd highly recommend them since they work like stock, dont give you weird issues down the road that cant be diagnosed because there's no wiring diagram and if it's a mopar warranty, it will usually be covered by that warranty. Backup camera with big screen will be displayed on radio and in the mirror on the basic radios