Looking at Coming Back to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxHouse

Reaction score
Hello All,

I used to have a 2010 Ram 2wd that I had for 8 years before trading it in for a Tundra 4x4. I really enjoyed my ram and my Tundra. I traded in my Tundra for a 2019 F150 XLT 4x4 (even trade in) for the better gas mileage and in less than a year I've saved about $1200 in gas. While the gas mileage savings have been great, I've overall been really disappointed in the F150. Very poor handling, (boat like suspension), catalytic converter issues, seat squeaks a lot and seat covers won't stay clipped as well as overall poor fit and finish that I didn't notice when test driving the vehicle.

I'm thinking of trading it in and going with a low mileage used Ram Big Horn or Laramie. My question is what is everyone's opinion on what I need to look into/avoid. (I'm looking at a 2020 or newer) crew cab 4x4. I'm looking at 3.92 rear axle for towing purposes.

Thank you for any and all the advice you are able to provide.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Come back to Ram, I have a Laramie trim and love it W 5.7 Hemi, stay away from eTorque 3.92 is better for towing, stay away from the 4corner air suspension still various problems with them especially in cold climate, get on a good Lubrication strategy!!!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

I used to have a 2010 Ram 2wd that I had for 8 years before trading it in for a Tundra 4x4. I really enjoyed my ram and my Tundra. I traded in my Tundra for a 2019 F150 XLT 4x4 (even trade in) for the better gas mileage and in less than a year I've saved about $1200 in gas. While the gas mileage savings have been great, I've overall been really disappointed in the F150. Very poor handling, (boat like suspension), catalytic converter issues, seat squeaks a lot and seat covers won't stay clipped as well as overall poor fit and finish that I didn't notice when test driving the vehicle.

I'm thinking of trading it in and going with a low mileage used Ram Big Horn or Laramie. My question is what is everyone's opinion on what I need to look into/avoid. (I'm looking at a 2020 or newer) crew cab 4x4. I'm looking at 3.92 rear axle for towing purposes.

Thank you for any and all the advice you are able to provide.

welcome.gif to Ram Forum, TxHouse. :cool:

Advice on your selection of a specific Ram could be more tailored to your specific needs in a truck and what you hope to use it most for.

Why not help us, help you, and identify how you intend to use it?

Business or pleasure
Daily driver vs. weekend fun
Towing a Travel Trailor or boat
moving toys
hauling gravel
other heavy loads
construction & building materials
firewood

I agree with everything Dodge 1500 4X4 covered and would add;

I move firewood, kayaks, bicycles, and scuba gear. I use the 6'4" sized box and would have trouble using a 5'7".

Where I park, a crew cab with a 6'4" box would be too long, so, I have a quad cab to reduce the wheelbase.

I tested a 3.6 V6 and decided it was not for me. I found it quite gutless compared to the 5.7 and the tiny fuel savings was hardly worth the sacrifice (no offense intended to happy owners).

I could be wrong but I've heard of many users with a 12" display having problems. Do some research on that and plan accordingly.

I've driven a buddy's F150 often when we take road trips together and as much as I respect his choice, there was zero motivation for me to try one out at any price.

After driving a Tundra for 14 years, I was pleasantly surprised by how superior the handling and fun factor is with the Ram truck. After a year in a Ram, I can't see choosing any other truck for my current uses. :cool:

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Come back to Ram, I have a Laramie trim and love it W 5.7 Hemi, stay away from eTorque 3.92 is better for towing, stay away from the 4corner air suspension still various problems with them especially in cold climate, get on a good Lubrication strategy!!!
I agree with everything you said except for the air suspension. The problems you're referring to were with the system on 4th gens, not 5th gens. There have been a lot more problems with the Hemi than with the air suspension on 5th gens. Maybe avoid it if you plan to keep the truck until it dies, because all air suspension systems will eventually fail. But most people seem to only hang onto vehicles for a few years then move on to something else. Our three year old truck has air suspension, and it's been fantastic. Makes getting in and out much easier for shorter people. I can raise it all the way up for oil changes and other maintenance. And it helps keep door dings away in combination with the power steps and suspension in the OR2 position.

OP
OP
T

TxHouse

Reaction score
View attachment 521334 to Ram Forum, TxHouse. :cool:

Advice on your selection of a specific Ram could be more tailored to your specific needs in a truck and what you hope to use it most for.

Why not help us, help you, and identify how you intend to use it?

Business or pleasure
Daily driver vs. weekend fun
Towing a Travel Trailor or boat
moving toys
hauling gravel
other heavy loads
construction & building materials
firewood

I agree with everything Dodge 1500 4X4 covered and would add;

I move firewood, kayaks, bicycles, and scuba gear. I use the 6'4" sized box and would have trouble using a 5'7".

Where I park, a crew cab with a 6'4" box would be too long, so, I have a quad cab to reduce the wheelbase.

I tested a 3.6 V6 and decided it was not for me. I found it quite gutless compared to the 5.7 and the tiny fuel savings were hardly worth the sacrifice (no offense intended to happy owners).

I could be wrong but I've heard of many users with a 12" display having problems. Do some research on that and plan accordingly.

I've driven a buddy's F150 often when we take road trips together and as much as I respect his choice, there was zero motivation for me to try one out at any price.

After driving a Tundra for 14 years, I was pleasantly surprised by how superior the handling and fun factor is with the Ram truck. After a year in a Ram, I can't see choosing any other truck for my current uses. :cool:

It is mainly going to be a daily driver. I need the crew cab for the three car seats that go in the back. I typically tow a flat bed with either 4 wheelers or a rzr. I also usually almost always have something in the bed from beach supplies, to 2x4s. A couple times a year it will get a full bed of firewood. After looking a bit more the 3.21 gears would also provide the towing specs I’d need.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is mainly going to be a daily driver. I need the crew cab for the three car seats that go in the back. I typically tow a flat bed with either 4 wheelers or a rzr. I also usually almost always have something in the bed from beach supplies, to 2x4s. A couple times a year it will get a full bed of firewood. After looking a bit more the 3.21 gears would also provide the towing specs I’d need.
And finding what you want with the 3.21 gears will be much easier.

MattHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update us when you take home one! Good luck

Speedy Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I LOVE MY RAM /2011. I suggest a history