Looking at the 6.4. Need info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I also hear they ran out of free doughnuts back at the station.
Wow. Not sure were that came from but whatever.

I'll try typing slower so you can comprehend...
You said if anyone thinks the 6.4 tows like it isn't there then they have never towed with a Cummins? My point was that I have towed ~9000lbs quite a bit with mine and my son has towed over 8000lbs all over the country (8000 miles towing his TT) and they tow them just fine. Your argument is that we are wrong because we have never towed with a Cummins. That is my counterpoint.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think anyone will argue that they prefer to tow heavy with a gas; just that the gas does the job either great or adequately depending on load. And then we don't need to worry about the downsides of diesel, such as injectors, def, bosch fuel pump failures etc etc.

So while most would rather TOW with a diesel, there is large subset of those same people who would rather OWN a gas.

Like me. My little half ton hemi gets a work out, no doubt, but with my trailer at 7000+ GVWR it's not worth dropping on a cummins. I know its there, everybody else around me knows its there, but it hunkers down at 2300 RPMs and handles it just fine. It revs up to 3000 - 4000 on a hill, big deal.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
That is true. I've towed with both. The 6.4L doesn't necessarily struggle on most occasions but needs to be in higher rpms. It's possible what some meant (if this was their first 3/4-1 ton truck) when they said "like it wasn't even there" was, yes when towing with the 6.4L, overall you don't necessarily "notice" you are towing because of the HD suspension. My 2012 1500 just towing a 5x10 trailer with a lawnmower, you knew it was there.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250
Yeah hearing people talk like that drives me crazy. If you don't realize you are pulling a trailer (no matter what size or kind) you are not driving alert enough. I notice every little push & tug. I have driven all kinds of trailers & all kinds of trucks including tractor trailer & I can always tell I have a trailer behind me & how well it is set up & loaded.

Bearcatrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just pulled my 35 foot 5th wheel through the hills between Minnesota and Colorado with my 6.4 and 3:73 gears. Never again. Around Minnesota states where it’s simi flat, the 6.4 does fine. Steep hills it sucks. Drove between Cheyenne and Laramie to get to Colorado and was mostly in 4th gear. Ate gas! If your in small hills and flat lands, it will do fine. Steep hills will **** you off. Especially long steep hills. Am looking for a diesel now. My 2017 has a 6 speed. Not sure how the newer 8 speeds would handle steep hills. Another note, most gas stations pumps suck since the lanes and toward the building. Your stuck getting a end isle so you don’t get pinned and some don’t have high overhang to let you drive through. It’s doable but a PITA at some stations.

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
35" is diesel work. I tow 8800# with a fully loaded 2500. Gas is what works well for me even towing the mountains of Colorado often. If I was going to tow heavier I would need the diesel. My 6.4 with 4.10's does very well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
35" is diesel work. I tow 8800# with a fully loaded 2500. Gas is what works well for me even towing the mountains of Colorado often. If I was going to tow heavier I would need the diesel. My 6.4 with 4.10's does very well.

+1

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do the newer diesels like sitting for months at a time not being used?
Or just being lugged around town as a grocery getter on a daily use except for the handful of times towing and actually working it?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yeah I towed my 8900lb boat up a hill we call 'mile hill'. Not sure it's quite a mile but IIRC it's a 6 or 7% grade. I was almost stopped at the bottom and maintained the 45MPH speed limit with just over about 1/2 throttle. Even slowed for the one sharper curve and had no problem getting back to the speed limit. I have 4:10's but that isn't a huge difference from the 3.73's. We are at about 900' above sea level so that might be part of the difference there but I'm more than happy with mine.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Or just being lugged around town as a grocery getter on a daily use except for the handful of times towing and actually working it?
They hate it, which is why I went 6.4 Hemi. I tow 9000 pounds, but it is only 1 or 2x a month, the rest of the time, I use it as a city commuter vehicle for work. I would be a rolling CEL with a diesel the way I drive.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Not good if you are forced to fuel with biodiesel. I am all for biodiesel (energy-neutral content from soybeans, that is) when applied to constant use engines ONLY.........it does not store with a crap, biodegrades quickly into fuel injection system destroying bacterial slime. Further, it's cold ambient gel point is significantly higher than straight No. 2 diesel fuel.

But the corporate ag lobby has our state's politicians in their money pockets, so biodiesel is mandated for everything, everywhere, all the time. Nice, eh? Cummins position used to be cut OCI's in half when using biodiesel due to increased deposits. I don't know if that's changed since I worked their (2016).

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I thought. I don't need a cummins but when I bought mine, I toyed with the idea of a 3.0 turbodiesel. Main reason I went hemi instead was, I found out it wasn't a baby cummins ( lol ) and my truck sits for months on end.
I was afraid the def would expire before I would ever use a tank of it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's what I thought. I don't need a cummins but when I bought mine, I toyed with the idea of a 3.0 turbodiesel. Main reason I went hemi instead was, I found out it wasn't a baby cummins ( lol ) and my truck sits for months on end.
I was afraid the def would expire before I would ever use a tank of it.

Heck, can you imagine sliming the entire fuel injection system on a full authority electronic engine? That might cost have the purchase price of the engine to fix!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not cool, I wonder how many people have gotten burnt trying to do a good thing and buy a fuel efficient vehicle only to shafted in the end.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Lots, unfortunately. Not many ethics left out there anymore. Executives goal is stock price bonuses at any cost to everyone else. So corner cutting, mergers, acquisitions, cheating, is rampant these days. The goal is to sell, and at maximum profit. After that, they don't care.

Sound familiar?