Looking for a better ride for my lifted 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
So I have a 2017 Ram 2500. I purchased it about a year and a half ago with 6000 miles on it. It had a brand new Pro Comp 6 inch lift already installed with new Hostile 20" wheels and Radar 37X13.50 MT tires. The ride was pretty harsh, especially once those cheap Radar MTs started to wear a bit. Winter came along and I found out how crappy those Radar Mt's were in the snow so I purchased some Falken Wildpeak AT's to replace them with. The Wildpeaks kick ass in the snow! I purchased 37X12.50 and I wished I would have got the 13.50's for a wider look. Anyways, I thought by changing to the better and All Terrain tire, my ride would change big time. Sadly it hasn't. I even air down the tires to 50 to 55 LBs and it still seems rough.
I went into my local truck shop and discussed my issue with them. I have cheap Pro comp ES9000 shocks all the way around and Pro comp Coils. The shop suggests that if I switch to Icon Dual Rate Coils and Icon 2.0 Monotube shocks, my ride will improve drastically. What do you all think?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When you go with an extreme lift like that you are opening a bucket of worms. I can't find a 6" pro comp lift to see what that kit comes with but at 6" you are throwing off all the geometry so could be a number of things causing your issues. I wouldn't be convinced that throwing another budget lift on it is going to solve your problems.
Is the current lift just spacers? Coils will help if that is the case but it's never going to be a Cadillac. Shocks alone will not do much of anything so don't waste your money there.

Probably not what you want to hear but that's kind of where you are at.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been several years since my group of guys has lifted any 2500/3500s. But when we did , Kore suspension was the best for ride and work. Kore with a K.

Might try calling them and see what they can do.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
I was a 2500 owner until recently and ran 37s as well. If you want something that rides better you need to be looking at carli suspension or thuren suspension both are great companies with a lot of options for everything you will need to have a better riding truck. My opinion not sure i can mention them but contact cjc offroad they deal with both and can point you in the direction you need. Also a lot of good suspension info over on the cummins forum.

I traded mine in and i got a 19 1500 classic man it rides a lot better than the 2500. Also with the right offset wheels you only need to be lifted 3" for the 37s which gives you a lot more options.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want a better ride, you will want to go with Thuren's Coils and shocks 100% No if, and or buts about it.

You've already sacrificed some safety by lower air pressure.

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
Also should mention the air pressure. I ran my truck at 52 psi in the front and 40 in the rear. Should do a tire chalk test google it to make sure your getting full contact will tell you where you need to run them to keep them flat on the ground. With anything aftermarket size wise the door psi ratings are out the window. Also most companies will have a pressure chart for size and vehicle weight to get you in the ball park of where they need to be. Only time to air up the rear any is if towing.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wouldn't call Icon a budget lift company, but I don't know of anyone running their gear on a Ram 2500. I believe Thuren makes 6" coils just doesn't have them on the site, so I would give them or CJC offroad a call to inquire about them. Obviously with new springs shocks will need to be replaced and that's were the money is spent.

Either way its going to be better than what you have, most major companys like RC, Procomp and the like are trying to build a kit that performs like stock.

Companies like Carli, Thuren, Icon, Kore are trying to improve on stock

OP
OP
lasher10

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
Thanks for the info. I lowered my psi from 65 to the 55 range and that seemed to make a difference. I had a similar setup up my 07 1500 Ram but it wasn't so harsh. I rode with the recommended 45 psi on that truck. Of course the 2500 requires 65 front and 80 rear, but unless I'm towing I don't feel that's necessary. Of course my 2500 is naturally much stiffer, runs much taller and I'm running 37's instead of 35s. I know my buddies 2500 is a 2012 and he has a light load tire setting that lets him lower his psi to something like 45 without the sensors coming on.
I'm going to go with the ICON setup that SoCal Supertrucks recommends. Dual Rate Coils front and rear matched with 2.0 monotube shocks.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I lowered my psi from 65 to the 55 range and that seemed to make a difference. I had a similar setup up my 07 1500 Ram but it wasn't so harsh. I rode with the recommended 45 psi on that truck. Of course the 2500 requires 65 front and 80 rear, but unless I'm towing I don't feel that's necessary. Of course my 2500 is naturally much stiffer, runs much taller and I'm running 37's instead of 35s. I know my buddies 2500 is a 2012 and he has a light load tire setting that lets him lower his psi to something like 45 without the sensors coming on.
I'm going to go with the ICON setup that SoCal Supertrucks recommends. Dual Rate Coils front and rear matched with 2.0 monotube shocks.

Carli or Thuren would ride better.

Icon builds a kit for damn near everything out there they don’t focus on a particular platform. Therefore they don’t have time to perfect it.

Carli and Thuren make a living out of making Ram trucks perform.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Of all the suspension threads I read on HDs, carli and Thuren are always highly recommended. I’d even consider dropping it a bit if you already have 37s, 6 inches on a HD isn’t required unless you just gotta have it but that may be a contributing factor to your stiff ride. I haven’t heard anyone mention BDS suspension yet, but they’ve always seemed a reputable brand to me

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Thuren is very nice! I love mine. Carli is good too.....but too rich for my blood.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have 2016 2500. I'm running 5.5 inch 4 link BDS lift with fox 2.0 shocks and dual steering stabilizer. It rides great better than stock. I'm also running 37's.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have another option with the Synergy level kit, My brother in law neighbor has this one in his 17 RAM 2500 and he swears by it as being very comfy on the street compared to stock, he also runs 37's with this kit, i've been in his truck and it's feels good, i don't know how a stock 2500 actually rides so i couldn't tell you how good it feels compared to stock.
https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-13-ram-2500-3500-leveling-system.html?category_id=4060

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My vote is thuren coils with the king 2.0s. My wife rated the factory ride a 2 prior to the lift and a 7 after and I still have the tires fully aired up until I get the alphaobd to lower thresholds.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@lasher10 check out ram beast projects on YouTube he’s currently going through this issue. He had the dual shock hoop and now has the fox shocks but is doing a Thuren upgrade. May save you some money learning from his mistakes

OP
OP
lasher10

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
I’m calling the shop tomorrow to ask them about a Thuren setup. I know Icon is good stuff but am curious to what they say. The Thuren website does not show a setup for my truck and I love the look of my lift. Lowering my truck is not an option.

OP
OP
lasher10

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
So Thuren and Carli do not make systems for my setup. Carli max out at 3.25” and Thuren max out at 2.75” I need 4.5”

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You are dealing with physics. The heavier the tire the rougher the ride. There is no free lunch and always trade-offs with most truck modifications. I test drove the 2018 trucks and the ride was rougher on the ones with the 20 inch wheels than with the ones with the 17 inch wheels.

Anyone who has been doing serious off-road driving knows the importance of having as light a wheel and tire as possible for best performance. You chose to go with looks over function and that is fine but don't whine about the after effects.

Time to man up or at least buy a kidney belt for yourself and your passengers. You can pretend you pushed it too hard at the gym if anyone asks about it.

OP
OP
lasher10

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
You are dealing with physics. The heavier the tire the rougher the ride. There is no free lunch and always trade-offs with most truck modifications. I test drove the 2018 trucks and the ride was rougher on the ones with the 20 inch wheels than with the ones with the 17 inch wheels.

Anyone who has been doing serious off-road driving knows the importance of having as light a wheel and tire as possible for best performance. You chose to go with looks over function and that is fine but don't whine about the after effects.

Time to man up or at least buy a kidney belt for yourself and your passengers. You can pretend you pushed it too hard at the gym if anyone asks about it.
This section is for lifted trucks. Looking for feedback from other members isn’t whining...or needing to man up.... it’s just looking for feedback for a specific situation. If you don’t have anything to contribute, which it sounds like you don’t. You can just keep your negativity to yourself. Go play with your Hot Wheels and leave the big boy conversation to the adults. Troll elsewhere. Thanks

Last edited:

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@lasher10 did you look up ram beast projects on you tube? He’s running a 6” BDS and is doing a Thuren setup I got the impression that it was a new product but he’s doing ride quality upgrades that should help you get information