Looking for a scanner that will do body codes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for a scanner that will do body codes. I'm not new to interacting with the computer. I've worked with Motec, Big Stuff, FAST, Holley, and OEM stuff. I've written maps for the Ford 7.3 and the BMW E30. I've used Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro for a decade. But now I have a 2006, 3500 with a 5.9 and it has body codes.

I need to see things like ABS codes, AC codes, and things like that. I don't care if I need a laptop or if it's handheld. As a bonus, I'd like to pull my tune and save it for future ECM troubles (I bought the truck already tuned). Anybody have recommendations?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Obdmx scan tool plugs in and is wireless. Can be used with a laptop or tablet. I use mine with a tablet and the Alfaobd app which has a huge thread and even a Facebook group for it. However for tuning you need hp tuners or diablosport handheld. Either will be fine but I don’t think they do the other codes. Just engine

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just looking at alfaobd. I found it and witech mentioned on the thread about converting to power windows and locks. Witech looks nice, but with a hefty price. I know somebody who deals with medium duty trucks and he turned me on to the idea of the diesel laptops. One of those would be cheaper than witech, but I can't get any of the sellers to tell me if they will communicate with our trucks.

So far, I'm thinking about alfaobd. I already have an elm327 plugged into the obd port, so it wouldn't cost me any extra in hardware money to see if it likes my elm. Does alfaobd clear codes, or just read them?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got and used OBD Mx+ and BlueDriver, and in my opinion, BlueDriver has more options while OBD Mx+ is more user-friendly.

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@LoneWolf3574
Do you know how bluedriver compares to alfaobd? I know alfaobd is just the app, but I'm talking about when you get the whole thing going.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I saw a video yesterday, in it i believe that said that
OBDlinkMX PLUS was used more for computers made by APPLE ??

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OBDlinkMX PLUS was used more for computers made by APPLE ?
The OBDLink MX+ is compatible to work with iOS(Apple) where as the MX does not. Both the MX+ and the MX work with Android along with PC and are functionally the same. AlfaOBD doesn't run on iOS as of yet.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@LoneWolf3574
Do you know how bluedriver compares to alfaobd? I know alfaobd is just the app, but I'm talking about when you get the whole thing going.
Bluedriver reads all P, B, C, and U (engine, transmission, and body) codes and allows you to clear them. Alfaobd, as @HemiLonestar stated, reads the same P, B, C, and U codes, lets you clear them, AND allows you to change configurations and enable options.

While I do not have Alphaobd, I do believe that the Bluedriver dongle is ELM327 so you should be able to use it with the Alfaobd application, it has the basic same functions as an OBDLink MX+ or MX. If I am wrong on this, I'm certain I will be corrected. :)

Last edited:

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a video yesterday, in it i believe that said that
OBDlinkMX PLUS was used more for computers made by APPLE ??
It is also able to pull more than just P-codes, depending on the manufacturer, you can pull transmission and body codes as well. Unfortunately, if I remember right, it has been a while, you can not do that for DC or FCI vehicles.

OP
OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@LoneWolf3574
I'm still learning the details, but I already have an elm327 and I don't think they are the same as the OBDlinkMX. Talking to a guy who has used factory software, and looking at the alfa .pdf, it appears that dodge uses some of the extra pins (besides the standard OBD comm pins) to do some of the extra functions. Alfa shows how to make different adapters to access the different pins for different functions. Now, alfa does a lot more than dodge, so that could be some European stuff? I'm not sure. But I think the extra pins are why a OBDlinkMX costs so much more than an elm327. Hopefully somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.