Looking for advice/opinions on direction with a problem truck (2003 Ram 1500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brokenwings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
Hey Dudes!

I'm in an interesting situation looking for insight or past similar experience from someone else.

I purchased a 2003 Ram 1500 with approx 158k miles for $3k.

The truck had a check engine when I purchased it, and the seller believed it needed new coil packs or wiring.

I took a gamble buying it, knowing it needed repairs and TLC to be a runner, it was not intended to be my daily, but more of a recreational vehicle (I kayak fish and would like to take it camping etc).

When it first went into the shop it had an o2 sensor replaced and an evap hose replaced (was showing rich codes).

While driving it after these first set of fixes the CEL came back on and it was showing 2 cylinder misfires, I brought it back to the same mechanic and they replaced plugs and coil packs on said 2 cylinders. It is still misfiring, and I'm at a crossroads, they have quoted me around $1500 to send it to a machinist and have the cylinder heads repaired. I have sunk around 500 into this project on top of the initial purchase and was willing to go up to around $5k total to have a solid runner that can give me some years.

I'm really on the fence about just reselling it to someone that is willing to deal with the problems one way or another while taking a bit of a loss, and looking for a different truck in the 5-6k range that doesn't already need these types of fixes (not a large amount available, but I could likely find a runner).

Or just going for it and hoping no additional problems arise shortly after these fixes.

Can anyone weigh in with their 2c or similar experiences in the past?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What diagnosis led them to thinking the heads needed repaired?

I'd start with swapping coil packs with another cylinder to check and make sure they coils aren't still the issue, maybe a different mechanic who can check the wiring harness to the coils.

OP
OP
B

brokenwings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 4.7
What diagnosis led them to thinking the heads needed repaired?

I'd start with swapping coil packs with another cylinder to check and make sure they coils aren't still the issue, maybe a different mechanic who can check the wiring harness to the coils.
That's a good point, maybe I should take it to another shop for a second opinion, although you know those opinions can add up as well! :p

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pop the valve covers, remove the rocker arms and see if any of the valvesprings or valve seats have taken a **** on you.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Hey Dudes!

I have sunk around 500 into this project on top of the initial purchase and was willing to go up to around $5k total to have a solid runner that can give me some years.

There's a bunch of remanufactured crate engines for $3k-$3500 for the 4.7 V8 online. Jegs, Summit, etc just from a quick glance. If you're willing to go to $5k, maybe consider a long block crate motor? How much, if any, of the work can you do yourself?

*IF* there's a serious issue, I'd be more inclined to go that route myself. If it's something minor, then get more miles out of what you have and keep the idea in your back pocket down the road.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Travelin is spot on. If you can't do the work yourself, and don't have a top notch independant shop, older high mile vehicles you buy from someone else is a REALLY bad idea. The 2003 Rams are not that hard to diagnose and repair. You need to make sure you know what the issue is. Throwing parts at the problem costs lots of money and rarely fixes the problem. At minimum, spend a bunch of time talking to friends and on local boards to find a top notch indepndant shop. They should be able to tell you how much trouble you are likely looking forward to.

Let us know that you end up doing.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wait, which engine do you have? A hemi or a 4.7 (can't be both)?

InkedScreenshot 2022-12-21 at 15-52-36 Looking for advice_opinions on direction with a problem...jpg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they do a compression test to get the idea of a dropped seat or bent/burned/stuck valve?

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What engine do you have? We had a '03 1500 with the 4.7L engine and it was a great engine, no misfires, no oil sludge, no nothing. Also, no issue with transmission and rear differential!!! (until the dealership **** on it that is!).

IMG_20181208_074633_9771.jpg

Stop going to that shop again and do what has been said above. Replace all spark plugs. They don't cost much, and you only have 8 instead of 16. Also, get a pocket code reader (or a serious OBD tester) and see if there's anything else going on code wise, perhaps a saved code somewhere. Visually inspect the wiring and connectors as best as you can, perhaps you can see something. Everything I did to that truck I got from Summit Racing. They have good prices.

PoconoJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would run away fast from that mechanic. If they immediately got new coil packs and spark plugs that was an indication that they are there to just spend your money and make a profit.

The right thing to do would have been to swap coil packs with known good cylinders and see if the codes changed over to those cylinders.

Spark plugs were maybe a good idea since they are a normal maintenance item and you don't know if they were ever changed.

Did they check the injectors? Both for voltage and if they might be clogged? They can be swapped too in order to pin point the problem.

Throwing parts at a problem is never a good idea.

IdahoRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 02 1500 with a 4.7. It had issues similar to yours. A mechanic advised the same advice to switch coil to another cylinder but he did advise to jump more than the next cylinder (Mine was one at a time so I went across the eng.) If your code does not move to the new hole then it is a more serious issue. 4.7's are a little notorious for cracked heads. I did have a new coil go bad in a few days. My Truck had 167000 miles on it.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 02 1500 with a 4.7. It had issues similar to yours. A mechanic advised the same advice to switch coil to another cylinder but he did advise to jump more than the next cylinder (Mine was one at a time so I went across the eng.) If your code does not move to the new hole then it is a more serious issue. 4.7's are a little notorious for cracked heads. I did have a new coil go bad in a few days. My Truck had 167000 miles on it.
Ditto.

The 4.7 motor was a sweet engine. I know of two that are approaching 300K miles and never been apart except for timing chains guides. However, it was not tolerant of overheating and susceptible to cracked head(s) for that reason.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82583 miles