looking for cam suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirty D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so since i got my ARH LT headers on, ive noticed a bit of a tick. same tick that ive seen on so many videos on here. its time for lifters. i figure its time to build out my entire top end frankly LOL. so ive got Hellcat lifters, new push rods, whole new timing assembly and a hellcat cat oil pump (because why not?) in the basket and im left with a few items:

if i hear back from mmx in the next few days i might order some of their ported heads, otherwise ill take mine to my local machine shop and have them clean them up and maybe port them out and throw on psi 1511 springs and new valves etc.

as for cam, im looking for suggestions. im not trying to go all out and have insane lope lol just something thats going to add a nice little boost. this truck isnt going to the track anytime soon so its mostly for making guys with a catback and rims cry on the freeway etc. not trying to give up a ton of bottom end as im still running 3.55s in the diffs. eventually 3.92s or maybe a front diff swap and 4.10s who knows.

ive currently got a:
vararam intake
87mm ported tb
ARH LT 1 7/8 with cats headers
Borla s-type catback
trinity 2 tuner with hemifever tune

im still on the stock 5 speed 545rfe trans (tunes got the extra gear activated). eventually i figure on taking a hard look at the 8 speed swap but probably atleast 5-6 months out on that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
so since i got my ARH LT headers on, ive noticed a bit of a tick. same tick that ive seen on so many videos on here. its time for lifters. i figure its time to build out my entire top end frankly LOL. so ive got Hellcat lifters, new push rods, whole new timing assembly and a hellcat cat oil pump (because why not?) in the basket and im left with a few items:

if i hear back from mmx in the next few days i might order some of their ported heads, otherwise ill take mine to my local machine shop and have them clean them up and maybe port them out and throw on psi 1511 springs and new valves etc.

as for cam, im looking for suggestions. im not trying to go all out and have insane lope lol just something thats going to add a nice little boost. this truck isnt going to the track anytime soon so its mostly for making guys with a catback and rims cry on the freeway etc. not trying to give up a ton of bottom end as im still running 3.55s in the diffs. eventually 3.92s or maybe a front diff swap and 4.10s who knows.

ive currently got a:
vararam intake
87mm ported tb
ARH LT 1 7/8 with cats headers
Borla s-type catback
trinity 2 tuner with hemifever tune

im still on the stock 5 speed 545rfe trans (tunes got the extra gear activated). eventually i figure on taking a hard look at the 8 speed swap but probably atleast 5-6 months out on that.
Take your truck to a scale and get it's weight,then tell MMX what you've done,and what your plans are to do down the road,and how you want it to perform and go with their cam reconmendation. It helps to know the actual weight of the truck when picking a cam,a lighter 2 wheel drive regular cab shortbox truck can get away with a bit more cam,then a heavier 4X4 crewcab truck can.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, don’t worry about much before your trans, that’s going to go, not a wonder. I’d personally go with upgrading the trans ️‍⚧️ est or at least, at the same time as cam install if possible. 545rfe is good for stock, anything over stock, she’s going to blow, just a question of when!

OP
OP
D

Dirty D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, don’t worry about much before your trans, that’s going to go, not a wonder. I’d personally go with upgrading the trans ️‍⚧️ est or at least, at the same time as cam install if possible. 545rfe is good for stock, anything over stock, she’s going to blow, just a question of when!
I probably would do the trans first but since I’m ticking I’d rather get that fixed before it becomes something worse. I fully agree the trans will blow eventually, but if I’m digging that deep into the engine to do a full mds delete lifters rods etc go the whole way and only have it apart once