Looking for head unit with apple carplay 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Keller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi, I have just purchased a 2013 Dodge Ram SLT with a v6 and a couple hundred thousand miles. I’m looking at changing out the head unit which I believe is the base version (says it’s satellite capable but no navigation and rather small screen)

I’m looking to put in something that has apple carplay, and I’d like to be able to upgrade it to wireless carplay if that’s not prohibitive.

I generally like to stay oem, am I able to get an upgraded head unit that is a pull from a newer year of the truck? I’m not sure what years would be capable of apple carplay.

if that is not possible or prohibitive I am open to one of the “Tesla style” android installs, but I imagine those are not carplay capable?

sorry if I’m a noob! I’d sure appreciate someone pointing me to the right information.

festivus15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think you’ll be able to pull from a newer one without a lot of work. I looked into it for my 2016, but ended up going with a Kenwood aftermarket unit. Crutchfield is the place to go for getting everything in one place.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
There is an entire thread on this mod. For carplay you will need a 2018+ OEM radio. Earlier ones do not have carplay. None of them have wireless carplay. I use the Carlinkit 2.0 wireless car play dongle ($100 on Amazon) with my 2018 UAQ radio and it works really well.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-install-a-2018-4c-uaq-uas-radio-in-2013-2017-ram.116140/

The price of the OEM units have skyrocketed since many folks are doing this mod and a certain commercial vendor is buying up all the OEM units from the wrecking yards to use with their way overpriced kits. If you do this mod, please support our forum vendor MPgrimm2. He and others on the forum are the ones who pioneered this mod and provide superior support for their conversion harness products.

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was in the same boat with my new-to-me 2014. I had the 8.4” and Laramie package, but really missed Car Play.

There are lots of folks who have upgraded to the 2018 8.4” to get the Car Play. I looked into this and couldn’t believe how expensive it was. I ended up spending the same amount of $$$ just a couple of days ago and getting JVC’s most expensive 10.1” head unit, an iDatalink Maestro interface, and three really nice cameras for the front and each side.

I’m just now buttoning up the install. I now have wireless Car Play, which works great. My side cameras display with their respective turn signals. All of my controls that were previously accessible on my 8.4 display are still there and I have some extra gauges if I want to be entertained.

That said, you can get a good Car Play head unit for less than $500.00 if you are not wanting bells and whistles.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I concur with Crutchfield
They tell you what will work with your particular vehicle.
They also give you so many options that could make a persons head spin

Not so much right now for 9"+ screen sizes in the $600 - $1000 range. Due to supply chain issues most of those units are out of stock with no expected availability date. They do have some availability for the $1000+ units.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that Crutchfield is just a Mail Order business, they don't stock anything

They just took a mail order business & did tons of research on the products

Which other mail order places don't bother to do

OP
OP
E

Eric Keller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction that’s a lot of info I’ll check it out!

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was in the same boat with my new-to-me 2014. I had the 8.4” and Laramie package, but really missed Car Play.

There are lots of folks who have upgraded to the 2018 8.4” to get the Car Play. I looked into this and couldn’t believe how expensive it was. I ended up spending the same amount of $$$ just a couple of days ago and getting JVC’s most expensive 10.1” head unit, an iDatalink Maestro interface, and three really nice cameras for the front and each side.

I’m just now buttoning up the install. I now have wireless Car Play, which works great. My side cameras display with their respective turn signals. All of my controls that were previously accessible on my 8.4 display are still there and I have some extra gauges if I want to be entertained.

That said, you can get a good Car Play head unit for less than $500.00 if you are not wanting bells and whistles.

Can you post a photo of your install?

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks! I was curious to see how it fit around the radio bezel. Looks like it sits in front of it? Are there gaps on the side?

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks! I was curious to see how it fit around the radio bezel. Looks like it sits in front of it? Are there gaps on the side?
Yes. It “floats” out in front of the dash opening. It can be adjusted up and down about an inch with four screws. I have it as high as it will go but plan on lowering it a bit. It can also be tilted up and down with hand pressure. Once I first pushed it to the position that I think looks best I haven’t had the urge to mess with it.

Initially I was thinking that the 10.1” screen is just huge when compared to the factory 8.4” and wondered if I shouldn’t have stuck with one of the many flush-fitting 6.95” units. But lately I’ve had to drive my wife’s car with a 6.95” Kenwood and the screen looks positively miniature to me now. I wired up the iDatalink Maestro and added side cameras that come on with the turn signals. I’ve already become very spoiled with this feature and the big screen.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes. It “floats” out in front of the dash opening. It can be adjusted up and down about an inch with four screws. I have it as high as it will go but plan on lowering it a bit. It can also be tilted up and down with hand pressure. Once I first pushed it to the position that I think looks best I haven’t had the urge to mess with it.

Initially I was thinking that the 10.1” screen is just huge when compared to the factory 8.4” and wondered if I shouldn’t have stuck with one of the many flush-fitting 6.95” units. But lately I’ve had to drive my wife’s car with a 6.95” Kenwood and the screen looks positively miniature to me now. I wired up the iDatalink Maestro and added side cameras that come on with the turn signals. I’ve already become very spoiled with this feature and the big screen.

Does it work with all of the on screen controls that the OEM one does? (Climate control, etc.). Is that handled by the Maestro?

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does it work with all of the on screen controls that the OEM one does? (Climate control, etc.). Is that handled by the Maestro?
I took the time to write down every single stock feature before swapping anything out. Then I went through my menus and checked them all off one by one. Everything that I could adjust before the swap is still there.

Every steering wheel and mid-dash control still works as well.

Additionally, iDatalink adds some gauges. They’re nice, but more of a gimmick to me.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Given the price and scarcity of the OEM 8.4 units, an aftermarket one is the way I would go if i were doing this upgrade today.

MikeDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the time to write down every single stock feature before swapping anything out. Then I went through my menus and checked them all off one by one. Everything that I could adjust before the swap is still there.

Every steering wheel and mid-dash control still works as well.

Additionally, iDatalink adds some gauges. They’re nice, but more of a gimmick to me.
Would you mind giving a ballpark number on the cost of the upgrade?

Thanks!

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Would you mind giving a ballpark number on the cost of the upgrade?

Thanks!
I added three outside cameras so that drove it up a bit. But I want to say I was in for about $1,500.00 by the time I was done.