Looking for help with flashing mirrors with alphaobd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gene Carey Sr

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I purchased towing mirrors for my 14 ram 2500 slt i flashed the mirrors and got the turn signals to work but not the puddle lights can soneone help with that
Thank you
Gene

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased towing mirrors for my 14 ram 2500 slt i flashed the mirrors and got the turn signals to work but not the puddle lights can soneone help with that
Thank you
Gene
Doors- Mirror approach lights present- YES

Romanclan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Flex
2017 Ram 1500 SLT , I as well bought after market tow mirrors and with the alpha app was able to turn the signal lights on the mirrors and the tow mirrors rotation but it won't let me activate the puddles lights(approach lights) and the defrost on the mirrors using the alpha app. Can someone go step by step how to turn them on please.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2017 Ram 1500 SLT , I as well bought after market tow mirrors and with the alpha app was able to turn the signal lights on the mirrors and the tow mirrors rotation but it won't let me activate the puddles lights(approach lights) and the defrost on the mirrors using the alpha app. Can someone go step by step how to turn them on please.
Are you saying the Alpha tool will not enable the code and says failed or it shows the code is enabled but the mirror heat and approach lights don't work? The mirror heat should already be activated if you originally had power adjust mirrors. At least every one I have ever worked on did.

Romanclan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Flex
The alpha app gives you the options to turn it on by choosing yes to activate but every time I do it doesn't work and everytime i open the spp is still turn off.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The alpha app gives you the options to turn it on by choosing yes to activate but every time I do it doesn't work and everytime i open the spp is still turn off.
Have you tried setting the code and then try setting the code again and see if it says this code is already enabled? Also are you sure the tool says it's connected to the truck? I haven't seen this exact thing happen in the past. I would try setting the code twice to see if it shows already set. I have seen several inexpensive aftermarket mirrors have the puddle/approach lights wired incorrectly but that wouldn't necessarily explain why the code isn't setting. It could also possibly be the OBD adapter you're using. If you aren't using the OBD Link MX or MX+ I might reccomend trying that. Last but not least I have had a situation in the past where I couldn't get the tilt in reverse to work on some memory mirrors. It turned out to be a bad drivers door module. You can also connect to the door control module itself and see if you can turn the features on and off there. As far as the mirror heat goes it should already be activated without you touching it. There is no special trick to enabling the codes they are both in the doors section. You simply select yes the way you are already doing it. 12b1967b5972a3938650652364106486.jpg9bbfdbba1cef36cef245bf284c40144e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Romanclan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Flex
Well it could be the OBD like you said, it seem thta the OBD does not save the changes. I will try to do it twice to see. By the way thank you so much for your help. Do you think i should pick another year in the alpha app?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it could be the OBD like you said, it seem thta the OBD does not save the changes. I will try to do it twice to see. By the way thank you so much for your help. Do you think i should pick another year in the alpha app?
The truck will automatically connect on the correct year. Try setting the code and then set it again to see what it says. If it doesn’t show set them somehow the program doesn't seem to be connecting to your truck. The Alfa program is pretty rock solid. If it isn't communicating I would lean towards you OBD adapter. Also don't forget sometimes the aftermarket mirrors puddle lights won't work even if the code is enabled. You can also connect directly to the door module and activate the puddle lights to make sure they work. Just go into driver door instead of body computer. 6f1f6b98a79a1b666cb029a0f2dfddd3.jpg

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you
Gene

Check to see if there is a dedicated fuse in the fuse box for Courtesy Lights. If there is, make sure there is a fuse in that location and also check that it is not blown.

I was ripping my hair out when I was wiring up the power for my seat swap. my truck came with manual seats but had the full seat harness under the seat (thank god) so all I had to do was tap the + and - for power... well I tapped it and then tapped it again, tried multiple times and things and I checked and there was a fuse in the power seat spot, checked again after hours of cursing and hair pulling and it turns out the fuse was blown and I missed it because the connection inside the fuse was so barely broken, I had to hold it at just the right angle to see the slight gap between the 2 broken sides. Replaced the fuse and seats powered right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Policeboss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I was wondering if you ever got it working. I’m wanting to add folding mirrors to my 2014.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was wondering if you ever got it working. I’m wanting to add folding mirrors to my 2014.
Tons of people have done this with no issues. The problem usually is some of the cheaper aftermarket knockoff mirrors are wired incorrectly or missing features all together. Make sure you buy quality mirrors or get get a good set of used OEM mirrors. Some times they are listed incorrectly. If its supposed to be a power fold mirror make sure it has a blue wire and a yellow wire next to each other in the black mirror connector. Make sure the mirrors are for a 13 or newer so it will have the proper outside temperature sensor on the drivers side mirror. You will need new door modules 68225102AC and 68225103AC plus a new master switch. Your truck is a 14 so you need the switch with two connectors on the back instead of the newer one connector switch. I'm pretty sure the part# for it is 68212784AC. Once out enable the codes with the Alfa tool you should be fine. I've done a lot if these including my 14 with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited:

Policeboss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Tons of people have done this with no issues. The problem usually is some of the cheaper aftermarket knockoff mirrors are wired incorrectly or missing features all together. Make sure you buy quality mirrors or get get a good set of used OEM mirrors. Some times they are listed incorrectly. If its supposed to be a power fold mirror make sure it has a blue wire and a yellow wire next to each other in the black mirror connector. Make sure the mirrors are for a 13 or newer so it will have the proper outside temperature sensor on the drivers side mirror. You will need new door modules 68225102AC and 68225103AC plus a new master switch. Your truck is a 14 so you need the switch with two connectors on the back instead of the newer one connector switch. I'm pretty sure the part# for it is 68212784AC. Once out enable the codes with the Alfa tool you should be fine. I've done a lot if these including my 14 with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the update. I have already replaced the door switch and purchased passenger door module. I was looking at a pair of mirrors form a long horn on eBay butt could not confirm with the guy if they were folding. Sent me a photo of them folded up for towing. Thanks for the connector information it will help me a lot.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the update. I have already replaced the door switch and purchased passenger door module. I was looking at a pair of mirrors form a long horn on eBay butt could not confirm with the guy if they were folding. Sent me a photo of them folded up for towing. Thanks for the connector information it will help me a lot.
You didn't mention the driver's side door module. Not sue if you just forgot to mention it but obviously you will need it as well. The power fold Tow Mirrors are much harder to find than the power fold standard mirrors. Your best bet is a newer Longhorn or Limited. As long as you verify the blue and yellow wires in the black mirror connector you should be good.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Policeboss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Ricks Ram thanks for the reply. Yes I forgot to mention the drivers side module in my post. I'm considering Trail Ridge model # TR00271 have you had any experience with those?

Policeboss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
You didn't mention the driver's side door module. Not sue if you just forgot to mention it but obviously you will need it as well. The power fold Tow Mirrors are much harder to find than the power fold standard mirrors. Your best bet is a newer Longhorn or Limited. As long as you verify the blue and yellow wires in the black mirror connector you should be good.

Ricks Ram thanks for the reply. Yes I forgot to mention the drivers side module in my post. I'm considering Trail Ridge model # TR00271 have you had any experience with those?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't personally used them but I've heard they are one of the better brands. If you have the blue and yellow wire that I mentioned in the black connector you should be good. You can also verify they are auto dim if they have two or more wires in the white mirror connector. Most drivers side are auto dim but some passenger side mirrors are not. Even if your truck didn't come with auto dim driver or passenger mirrors you can easily enable the code with the Alfa tool. The auto dim on both mirrors is extremely nice when towing. One other note us you will need the auto dim rear view mirror in order for the auto dim side mirrors to function.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

I have the Trail Ridge Power Folding tow mirrors on my '14. You can't tell them from OEM. I highly recommend them.

-K

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having the same issue. OEM Ram mirrors and door modules. MX module, no off brand anything.
I have changed other settings such as DRL and fogs in with high beams, and they function fine. However, I can’t get mirror signals to activate nor puddle lamps. Very frustrating. Trying to contact app owner to see if he can diagnose.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I did mine with an older version of AlphaOBD, but I just ran through the process and here's the procedure for the current version (Android) as of today, 10/18/20. If this does not work, then I agree, you need to contact Alexy.

RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT)
BODY COMPUTER
MY2014 Powernet (Even if you do not have a '14, try this one)
<Button at bottom with hood open>
Car Configuration Change (all the way at the bottom)

Then the 4 options shown in the screenshot below.

Note: Do not be fooled by the "Puddle Lamp Present" or "Door Courtesy Lamp Present", those are not what we need for the mirrors.

AlphaOBD Power Fold Mirror Settings.jpg

This is how the doors section looks after the changes:

Car configuration
Global Windows Down: No
Sun Shade Present: No
Puddle Lamp Present: No
Rear Door Pre Short Drop: No
Power Folding Mirrors Present: Yes
Heated Mirrors Present: Yes
Mirror Turn Signals Present: Yes
Driver Memory Mirrors Present: No
Passenger Memory Mirror Present: No