Looking for some ideas on smoking issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As most in here know, this truck sat for 5 years +. Tranny being the main reason why. Upon getting back into the truck. The motor was in the process of locking up but with a overnight soaking of MM. It freed up real easy. Oil change was done before I did any engine running. Had some white smoke so even though oil was clean.I did a intake gasket replacement and have ran the motor about every other night for over a month now. Sometime sitting in idle it will smoke what looks to be white and stinky but did some small test runs and not every time does this smoke appear. Did maybe a mile run today to see if after some adjustments to transmission ( No Luck) I did notice she was smoking fairly. Did a check on oil to make sure and as normal clean and clear. My thinking at this point is maybe some of my rings may be sticking? I am going to do a compression check this coming weekend due to weather this week end. The motor its self is running great.

Now we all know a sitting vehicle isn't good on them and one should expect some problems. This is a labor of love and to pass it down to daughter so investing in bringing it back up is about more than worth. Went back out to do a video for you guys and guess what. No smoke. This is why it puzzles me on what to do next? I drove it maybe about 15 minutes before it started to smoke or by the time I got back it was obvious it was smoking. It doesn't seem to have and blue or black but maybe a light white. The motor has maybe 162,000 miles on it and oil was changes regularly.

Maybe someone has dealt with this or have some advice? I will answer any questions to the best of my ability. Once I get compression reading, I will post them as well. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets after inspected the lifters to see if it was clan and everything looked real good.

Thanks guys for your time.

After what little I could find. This seems to be a part for 4x4 but nothing in the 2 wheel drives seems to show it but maybe you can find something different? Thanks

Last edited:

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you using any coolant, possible head gasket?

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He replaced the intake gasket, not the head gaskets!

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pulled the heads about two years before it was parked ( I can't remember the reason off hand). Both were check and said was in good condition no cracks or warped. The motor has never been ran hot or over heated. I even replaced the oil pump back then. As to coolant, I haven't put any in due to having this smoke issue. my plan was going to do a good flush of the system before adding it. The exhaust smokes actually stinks. I don't have any type of sweet smell but like I was saying , when I started the truck, there wasn't any smoking but when I pulled it back into the yard. It was smoking pretty bad. Funny thing is no more than five minutes I went out to get a video for you guys to see and started the truck and it wasn't smoking. even tried to rev it a few times and nothing. This to me doesn't make any sense at all. Now I have went out and started the motor to let it idle for maybe 30 minutes daily and it will do a like smoking but then it will stop. I say white smoke in terms I don't see any colors that would pin point what to look for. Kind of like if you see blue smoke, you know its burning oil so you have a idea of what to look for. This deal leaves me scratching my head.

I can't just drive the hell out of it like a suggestion due to transmission issue. I'm currently working on saving the cash up to have it rebuilt. The only other thing I can do at this point is a cylinder compression test. This may help to get a idea of what the motor condition is and maybe what to look for? I will have to read up on this since its been years since that last time I did any compression test. lol. If the weather holds out. I may be able to do one in the morning. I will update you guys if I do. Thanks

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The transmission of that year has a modulator valve that is run by engine vacuum, if that valve goes bad the vacuum line will be fed transmission fluid, that valve helps the engine shift, that might be the smoking you are getting.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The transmission of that year has a modulator valve that is run by engine vacuum, if that valve goes bad the vacuum line will be fed transmission fluid, that valve helps the engine shift, that might be the smoking you are getting.

That's interesting. I know in the past it went into limp mode and I was told it was the solenoids ( Not sure the names at the moment) I went in and drop the pan and replaced both of them seeing you never know which one is acting up. I also about a year later had to replace the speed senor again after went into limp mode again. Then again in about two years it was going in and out of over drive and was told it was the accumulator spring was most likely broken ( It was) So that too was replaced. This is when the slipping started. I got aggravated and parked the truck with intentions of having it rebuilt. Then wife got sick so it get completely put on the back burner.

This kind of explains where I am today. I did noticed yesterday that while driving . it was like it was slipping in and out. It was only a slight slip then shifted but ran ok before. Normally it would be the same where it slipped a little then went in gear but as I said it was going in and out. Now the part you described doesn't look like anything I have replaced in the past. I also never heard anyone say anything about transmission fluid causing the smoking. So this is very new to me. I tried to look up some videos on this part but didn't find anything. I was curious to where its located and how to replace it and see if it helps? The part isn't very expensive so it would be worth trying at this point. Its a 99 Ram 1500 2 wheel drive and I'm sure its the 46RE transmission. Thanks for the information. I will continue to try and find more information about this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From any research I did, only 4x4 have that modulator valve you spoke of so It's still a mystery at this point. I have been letting it run for the last few days a good 30 minutes and I haven't seen any smoke even though I still have that nasty smell so I am thinking it's still lightly smoking. It runs great and idle fine. Oil still clear and clean and not water found in the system. Radiator fine as well. I guess this will remain a mystery till I can do a good run after transmission is done and see what it does? Thanks for the help guy's. This isn't a easy cure. lol.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's for the help guys. I think this comes down to once the transmission is back up and going to do a few good long runs on her, then I will see if it goes away. I have ran it for a week or so idling for over 30 minutes and not enough to really even see it. Oil clean and water if sine so maybe it just needs a good kind of break in after sitting so long? lol Thanks Again

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know you are not wanting to put coolant back in just yet, but do you at least have water in the coolant system? Give it some protection at least, and don't risk frying all that work from overheating.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been keeping it topped off with water but will be draining it down for coolant soon. It has calmed way down on the smoking issue to where its more light then anything. Just a lot of issues to work through till I feel more comfortable. The transmission is my biggest hurdle at this moment. Replaced pressure solenoid, governor. accumulator spring, the lock out and speed sensor this weekend and now second and third seems to be shifting fine but real sluggish on take off and I now have a check engine light. I'm not sure if the code checker at the local auto parts has anything that deals with transmission code? I'm sure it has to do with that since it's never thrown a code before change even though transmission problems have been going on long before parts change. I can say at the rate of head scratching, I might go bold sooner than later. lol.

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry for so many threads but things are moving forward so with positive results. Bought kit to replace all the sensors , spring and main harness in transmission and its a lot better but has small issues that I believe will be corrected with some band adjustments and TV cable adjustment from my local transmission shop. Drove it around 20 miles last night and drove it to work this morning as well to the shop to have an alignment done then stopped by transmission shop to set up date for this Friday. The smoking and dripping issues seems to have resolved its self. It's at least getting some road time.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
That's for the help guys. I think this comes down to once the transmission is back up and going to do a few good long runs on her, then I will see if it goes away. I have ran it for a week or so idling for over 30 minutes and not enough to really even see it. Oil clean and water if sine so maybe it just needs a good kind of break in after sitting so long? lol Thanks Again
I’m never a fan of it just magically clearing up. I’ve often wished that for myself when younger and had to sell knockoff perfume in parking lots. Sounds like you have had a lot of experience with guys giving feedback on here so without knowing all of your history.

With the amount of smoke you are saying is coming out, and it was not there until you heated up…that does tell me you are perhaps leaking some coolant in to the cylinder perhaps. I have a number of questions and if I asked too many to answer, I don’t expect a reply back but maybe it can be helpful as you save to fix up the trans.

1 - When you pulled the heads, did you change out the head gaskets? Many times they are not reusable.

2 - Did you use new head bolts after you took them off? Often times they are stretch bolts.

3 - Have you checked for exhaust gasses in the coolant fluid? There is a test to check for that but you can also see if you are getting bubbles in the radiator as a way to test without getting a exhaust gas test kit.

4 - Leak down tests can be super helpful but a pain to get each cyl at TDC to perform it.

What makes me think it is leaking into a cylinder is the fact you are making so much smoke - prolly a tear in the water jacket and it was happening after your drove it for some time and after it warmed up. Aluminum heads flex at temp and it can expose leaks otherwise not showing when cold.

Anyway, I’m no expert but sharing my experience from nightmares of past. Good luck.