Looking for these headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Well I just ordered the jet black quad housings from Modifystreet. I'll keep the lighting I'm happy with and still get an appearance upgrade.

Sensibility won out over cool factor once again.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I just ordered the jet black quad housings from Modifystreet. I'll keep the lighting I'm happy with and still get an appearance upgrade.

Sensibility won out over cool factor once again.

Haha makes sense. The black quads are really nice anyways. Personally I don’t think you should be running HID’s in a reflector housing, but to each their own [emoji1360]

Enjoy your new lights bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I change my headlights, I would want one that resembles the 5th Gen Ram, so it would either be the Morimotos or the AlphaRex.
Just saw a comparison video on them. It seems that AlphaRex have more light, but the Morimotos XBs seem to be a bit more classier in the light output; which sounds better for the street. What do you guys think?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I change my headlights, I would want one that resembles the 5th Gen Ram, so it would either be the Morimotos or the AlphaRex.
Just saw a comparison video on them. It seems that AlphaRex have more light, but the Morimotos XBs seem to be a bit more classier in the light output; which sounds better for the street. What do you guys think?
What does “a bit more classier in the light output” mean?

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
My 18’ sport night addition has some nice looking headlights btw

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Oh crap I forgot to take the pic I’ll try to remember tomorrow

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Better late than never LOL

DDD3CFC2-53E6-419E-AFF8-206163145594.jpeg

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is very informative topic.
onsale,you sure sound like you know what your talking about and very much appreciate the knowledge...now to my question....
1)what makes those brands you listed to stay away from problemematic?
I can only go by reviews mainly as I'm not going to buy every light out there to find out...every 1 listed I've come across has some sort negative review(especially those cheap ones you said to get and seal)I dont have a problem with those cheap ones,I put a set of vipmotoz(I think) for tailights(friggin awesome and bright,no problems goin on 3 years now)...cheap ebay so I gave it a try.
2)So what's a guy to believe?
I guess i(maybe all)would like more info on the subject as I have just started looking at lights this week and more than likely are going to go with that modifystreet settup you folks spoke about.
Truck is a '10 with 90k on it and I've polished the lights twice already in the last 3years,getting tired of doing that.real pain for me due to having to remove the brush guard to do it...would be easier to just replace(in my opinion) and have them last longer I would hope...few bucks past a 100 isnt a wallet breaker.it is ashame though,OEM lights work fine just that dam old age haze is such an eyesore for me
Anymore insight would be appreciated.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok...does any one have any input as to my inquiry?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

A lot of issues I've read about the ultra cheap headlights is

1. They aren't sealed properly. They either leak or allow condensation

2. The clear on the lenses flake off within a year

3. They don't adjust properly. Either won't go up far enough or go down far enough

4. Bad beam pattern (projectors)

5. Oled (white strip) fail

6. Bad build quality (cheap feeling)

7. Fitment issues either on the truck and/or with bulbs

I'm sure I'm forgetting more.

Obviously purchasing cheap headlights you may get a good set and never have an issue. But that's kinda a pain to try and find out.

Modifystreet/alpharex as stated above is a great brand. I have a set of their 2019 style projectors. Prior to retrofitting them I never had a issue with them (still don't). Although with their growing popularity their prices have gone up a bit.

Modifystreet/alpharex biggest complaint is they aren't truly plug and play. A lot of aftermarket lights aren't especially if they have a "drl" feature. It'll take some wiring. Modifystreet/alpharex gives you a drl harness so the only "wiring" that needs to be done is laying out the harness, connect positive and negative and "tap" into a keyed on fuse. Along with the wiring is a lot of people get a parking light out message. But our trucks are picky when it comes to lights

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man,
Pretty much everything I could come up without searching anything.i went ahead and ordered a set of those modifysyreet deals in the link presented earlier in the post.
Appreciate the response

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

The brands i listed use the cheapest materials possible with a thought going into the quality or the output of the lighting.

The projectors in those brands are so cheap you can buy them brand new by themseles for $15-$20 on ebay and amazon. Real projectors cost $140 or way more.

They leak. Constantly. These companys still dont somehow understand how to seal headlights. I dont get it after all these years how they cant figure out something i do on my workbench and never have leaks or condensation.

They light output from those companys is HORRIBLE. like, light shines 10-15 feet and thats it. put an LED or HID bulb into them and its just as bad or worse. The optics of the projector glass and reflector bowl are not studied and perfected, they are just "made" with the materials in a shape similar to real projectors without any regard for their actual performance.

These companys are not spending money for research and development on these lights or what goes into them. They dont test anything. Aslong as they light up, they pass all their "tests".

Morimoto and AlphaRex on the other hand are constantly testing, looking for Improvements, and other things. Take AlphaRex for example, they have released new "updated" versions of the Ram lights 3 times now in the past 16 months, with major improvements on what customers have given them in feedback. They work directly with Ram owners to test new products to see if they work and are good.

Those other companys, Spyder, Anzo, Recon, etc. dont care. They make the light, sell it, thats it. You have a problem? They just send you another unit.

Many many many members on here buy those brands and return them after one drive at night. The lighting is just god awful you cant see anything.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I installed the alpharex 5th gen style when they first came out. Zero fogging issues or leaks. I upgraded the lights to led and been a great setup, zero issues, would buy again for sure.

IMG_20200718_212647.jpg

IMG_20200718_201527.jpg