Looking to buy third gen, what should I know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Visionari

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone,

I have made the unfortunate decision to get rid of my 2020 Limited 1500.
I decided it was time to put more money away in savings instead of making a large monthly payment.
I am looking to get either a third gen Ram 1500 or early fourth gen.
Looking for something with ~150k miles or less, but no more than 175k miles.
Looking for a price range of $7k to $12K

What are some words of advice you can give about this generation.
What are some things to look for?
What are some years to avoid?
What are some things that fail more often?
What are the things to definitely avoid?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone,

I have made the unfortunate decision to get rid of my 2020 Limited 1500.
I decided it was time to put more money away in savings instead of making a large monthly payment.
I am looking to get either a third gen Ram 1500 or early fourth gen.
Looking for something with ~150k miles or less, but no more than 175k miles.
Looking for a price range of $7k to $12K

What are some words of advice you can give about this generation.
What are some things to look for?
What are some years to avoid?
What are some things that fail more often?
What are the things to definitely avoid?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Good Lord! I respect that decision though im 90% sure you're probably the only person in the world to trade in a $70k truck for a high-mileage old dodge LOL. That being said, a few things to note:

2006-2008 1500 (3rd gen) - great truck, harsh ride compared to f150 of the same year. Plain interior, exhaust manifold bolts break, rear fender rust, dashboard cracking, electronics issues around 150-200k miles

2009-present 2020 classic (4th gen) - great truck, smooth ride, nicer interior compared to 3rd gen, more modernized, exhaust manifold bolts break, less rear fender rush issues, and many are plagued with electronics issues around 150k miles because the power plant remains very similar to the 3rd gen until 2013 I believe. Also, some hemis have premature cam wear issues from lack of lubrication at idle. Try to find one with low idling hours if possible.

These are from my personal experience working on these trucks. Feel free to add more

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy one from one of the more southern states below the salt/snow belt :)

12k should buy a pretty nice truck.

OP
OP
Visionari

Visionari

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Lord! I respect that decision though im 90% sure you're probably the only person in the world to trade in a $70k truck for a high-mileage old dodge LOL. That being said, a few things to note:

2006-2008 1500 (3rd gen) - great truck, harsh ride compared to f150 of the same year. Plain interior, exhaust manifold bolts break, rear fender rust, dashboard cracking, electronics issues around 150-200k miles

2009-present 2020 classic (4th gen) - great truck, smooth ride, nicer interior compared to 3rd gen, more modernized, exhaust manifold bolts break, less rear fender rush issues, and many are plagued with electronics issues around 150k miles because the power plant remains very similar to the 3rd gen until 2013 I believe. Also, some hemis have premature cam wear issues from lack of lubrication at idle. Try to find one with low idling hours if possible.

These are from my personal experience working on these trucks. Feel free to add more

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Trust me, the decision was not made lightly, or easily.
But, when I started adding up the money saved over the length of the loan, I realized I could pay off my house in less than 10 years and buy a BEAUTIFUL diesel, in cash, before I'm 40, and for some background, I am only 28.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you!
I knew someone had asked a similar question recently and we inundated him lol. Those answers are good for looking at through 2005 at least. 06-08 will be a little different.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like what was already said. My 3rd gen rides like a tank. No broken exhaust bolts yet. I have rear fender rust. No problems with the electrical side of things. I do like that the 3rd gens have everything separated. Radiator, tranny cooler, PS cooler. Plenty of power stock. Unlocking more power will spell disaster for your 545-RRE, unless built. Depending on the 3rd gen. Mine has tow/haul- OD/off. Love the OD/Off. Great trucks, when you take care of them. Mine has been fantastic. Heater core in mine is going out. Not sure if that's a common problem or just my luck.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unlocking more power will spell disaster for your 545-RRE, unless built
RFE, and even if it so called "built" they still seem to grenade once you venture too far past the 400hp mark lol.

Heater core in mine is going out. Not sure if that's a common problem or just my luck
Mine did too, about 7yrs ago. TWICE within a few months. New one went in, thankfully it was warrantied when it decided to puke all over my carpet a few months later.

ramnut67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-8
I got a 2006 ram 1500. It’s been a nice truck got it back in 2009 with 40,000 miles and now has over 200,000. I have rear end rust, minor electrical issues, replaced some water pumps, fuel pump, l have also replaced the front end. But i have always changed the oil ever 3,000 miles, have no transmission issues, does not burn oil, slight knock from header bolt being broke. But it’s been a good truck. Thinking about getting a different one.

audiowize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
You're going to need to buy a truck that hasn't lived its life in IL, otherwise you'll be buying rust. I actually have my rust free 02 for sale from Arizona, but I'm all the way on the West coast. Things that have broken that I've had to replace or that I've noticed were replaced shortly before my truck (02 with 5.9/160K miles):

1. Transmission (done before I got the truck)
2. Steering rack/tie rod ends (done before I got the truck)
3. Upper control arms (done before I got the truck)
4. Lower control arm bushings (heard one rip and replaced them all. Two were torn)
5. Lower ball joints (one had a ripped boot)
6. Sway bar links/bushings
7. Front door rubber
8. Front driver's door hinge
9. Front seat foam and upholstery (the metal seat rail design eats right through the foam)
10. Coolant overflow tank and washer fluid reservoir (the 02 design sprays coolant out when you try to press the lid shut)
11. AC compressor
12. Dash board (from age cracking)
13. Low pressure power steering hose (leaking)
14. Steering rack bushings (this was done independently of the new rack)
15. Front driver's side wheel hub
16. Resealed passenger side window locating clip that was leaking water into cab
17. Replaced broken window switch plates
18. Flushed clogged heater core
19. Replaced front axle stub shafts and front CV shafts (excessive play)
20. Replaced dash bezel around the radio since it was unusably damaged
21. Replaced all the front air vents that had all fallen apart
22. Replaced transmission cooler because it was seeping fluid
23. Replaced cowl pad because the old one was damp and smelled horrible.
24. Installed aftermarket cabin air filter to keep the dust and stink out.
25. Replaced the battery and mounting hardware with the proper parts and a new battery blanket.
26. Took apart and cleaned every window switch and the power seat switch to get them to work again.
27. Replaced the front grill, inserts, and rivets. The original split right down the middle.
28. Replaced idler pulley. The original was grinding.

I got this truck in March of this year. I would love it if someone would give me $7500 for this truck so I can get something else! I would expect this list to have 40 items by next spring. The engine and transmission both have some small leaks, but I'm not lifting the engine to do the pan gasket and I'm not messing with the transmission that drips 1-2 drips per week.

Last edited:

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're going to need to buy a truck that hasn't lived its life in IL, otherwise you'll be buying rust. I actually have my rust free 02 for sale from Arizona, but I'm all the way on the West coast. Things that have broken that I've had to replace or that I've noticed were replaced shortly before my truck (02 with 5.9/160K miles):

1. Transmission (done before I got the truck)
2. Steering rack/tie rod ends (done before I got the truck)
3. Upper control arms (done before I got the truck)
4. Lower control arm bushings (heard one rip and replaced them all. Two were torn)
5. Lower ball joints (one had a ripped boot)
6. Sway bar links/bushings
7. Front door rubber
8. Front driver's door hinge
9. Front seat foam and upholstery (the metal seat rail design eats right through the foam)
10. Coolant overflow tank and washer fluid reservoir (the 02 design sprays coolant out when you try to press the lid shut)
11. AC compressor
12. Dash board (from age cracking)
13. Low pressure power steering hose (leaking)
14. Steering rack bushings (this was done independently of the new rack)
15. Front driver's side wheel hub
16. Resealed passenger side window locating clip that was leaking water into cab
17. Replaced broken window switch plates
18. Flushed clogged heater core
19. Replaced front axle stub shafts and front CV shafts (excessive play)
20. Replaced dash bezel around the radio since it was unusably damaged
21. Replaced all the front air vents that had all fallen apart
22. Replaced transmission cooler because it was seeping fluid
23. Replaced cowl pad because the old one was damp and smelled horrible.
24. Installed aftermarket cabin air filter to keep the dust and stink out.
25. Replaced the battery and mounting hardware with the proper parts and a new battery blanket.
26. Took apart and cleaned every window switch and the power seat switch to get them to work again.
27. Replaced the front grill, inserts, and rivets. The original split right down the middle.

I got this truck in March of this year. I would love it if someone would give me $7500 for this truck so I can get something else! I would expect this list to have 40 items by next spring. The engine and transmission both have some small leaks, but I'm not lifting the engine to do the pan gasket and I'm not messing with the transmission that drips 1-2 drips per week.

So if someone gives you $7500. You might break even with all the work you did. Might as well keep the truck at this point. Sounds like it's a really good truck now.

ViperOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 2 door, 4.7 engine, automatic, hand crank windows, original am/fm cd radio, AC, and no carpeting. Has 147,500 miles on it today...No Rust with original paint with a few nicks and scratches over the years. Repairs over the years. A radiator, water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, fan belt, coolant reservoir tank, fuel pump, brake pads, shocks and tires. OEM maintenance followed... scheduled oil changes, power steering fluid, transmission fluid and filter, Brake fluid changed, Differential serviced. She’s been reliable and never left me stranded. In my opinion you Can’t go wrong if you keep it maintained.