Looking to change the door armrest. Tradesman interior.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The next thing that I want to address on my truck is the door panels that come in the Tradesman package. Specifically I'm looking for some way to get a bit of cushioning on the elbow rest in the door panel.
I have a Diesel Gray and Black interior and I was wondering if anybody else has done something to upgrade the door panels in their truck with a similar trim?
Isn't the Express the same as a Tradesman interior?

BlkHemiRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an express and the door panels are the same, and the only thing I find lacking in the interior, so I too am anxious to hear of an upgrade.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have an express and the door panels are the same, and the only thing I find lacking in the interior, so I too am anxious to hear of an upgrade.
Changing out the door panel to a higher option trim would be easiest. However I'm not sure I can afford that unless I got a real good price as I've just bought a deluxe cluster and I'm getting low on the "Mod Money" fund.
I've just about decided on making one of my own.
If I find a center armrest from one of the jump seats that I could take it apart and use the padding and upholstery to create a cushion for each door armrest. I could also use a matching OEM seat cover or buy some upholstery from a shop if I needed.
I'd use a piece of Plexiglass some MDF from the hardware store to create a base for the cushion that would match the contours of the armrest. I mount some bolts through the bottom of the cushion and fasten it to the door panel from the inside for mounting.
Does anyone have a picture or know if the door panel is hollowed out in the armrest area on the inside? Anyone done some speaker upgrades and remember what it's like on the backside of the door panel?

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I found a seller on eBay who has black perforated leather scraps for small projects. I'm going to attempt to make my own and see how it goes.
$11 for enough leather for both front doors is a bargain.
Now to find some foam and the right adhesives...

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I cannot stand the door panels in my truck. I have an express. It is something that I would have gladly paid a little extra for. I understand saving money but these are just ridiculous. I have been trying to find a good deal on a set of 4 with no luck as of yet...

pmiya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed panels in my Tradesman Quad cab. I found panels from a 2014 Laramie Crew Cab on Ebay. The panels have leather armrests the upper and lower storage bins, chrome trim with a wood insert. They also included the switches. I have been watching Ebay for a while and when these came up for sale I bought the left panel first, when I contacted the seller about the right panel he was just listing it so I grabbed it.

The panels from the crew cab fit perfectly in my quad. I just finished installing them, took about 1/2 hour.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just installed panels in my Tradesman Quad cab. I found panels from a 2014 Laramie Crew Cab on Ebay. The panels have leather armrests the upper and lower storage bins, chrome trim with a wood insert. They also included the switches. I have been watching Ebay for a while and when these came up for sale I bought the left panel first, when I contacted the seller about the right panel he was just listing it so I grabbed it.

The panels from the crew cab fit perfectly in my quad. I just finished installing them, took about 1/2 hour.

Just got the fronts then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pmiya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only got the fronts. I will keep looking for upgrades for the rear doors. They are a low priority since I don't ride in the back.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Only got the fronts. I will keep looking for upgrades for the rear doors. They are a low priority since I don't ride in the back.

But I'm correct in my assumption that the doors are the same in front for crew and quad but they are different from regular cab?

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would think that all cabs are the same on the front doors and possibly the crew cab may use the same as the front??

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would think that all cabs are the same on the front doors and possibly the crew cab may use the same as the front??

I dunno, I really thought that the Regular Cabs had longer doors than the front doors on the Crew and Quad.
And I know the front and back are different on my crew cab.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The front doors of the regular cabs are longer than the quad and crew cabs. The front doors are the same on a quad and crew, but the back doors are different...

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Stopped by the local auto salvage today and ordered a pair of Big Horn door panels from a wreck in Denver. $150 for the pair was too good a deal to pass up.
They are supposed to be here Tuesday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Door panels came in today. They should be fine. The insert on the door is diesel gray so it matches my cab exactly!

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
We need pictures!
20141017_113314_zpsqxrwlllm.jpg
20141017_113301_zpsihe6ibkn.jpg
Here they are installed.
I was told by the man who found them for me that the 2011 and up will work with 2014 doors. These were from a 2014 Quad Cab Big Horn.
The gray was an exact match for my armrest and the dash. I have the diesel gray and black interior. Also perfectly matched the upper glove box I added previously.

Now to get the back doors done....

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Check the yard you called about the cluster in PA. It is a quad cab, diesel gray and black interior! He might have them.

OP
OP
cgeorgemo

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Check the yard you called about the cluster in PA. It is a quad cab, diesel gray and black interior! He might have them.
I've got a crew cab or I'd probably have bought all of them from the wreck I got the front ones from.
I'm not in a big hurry so I might have the guy at my local salvage yard try to find some. The prices he is giving me are quite a bit cheaper than eBay or car-part.com. I might go see him about the rear doors when I check in at the end of next week to see if he's found a speedometer for me.
He said to keep checking back and he'd keep looking until they found one I want. As enthusiastic as he is about helping me I believe he's on commission.