Looking to get more into mechanical work as a hobby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im relatively mechanically inclined and I'd like to think that im smart enough to learn new skills. I want to get more into mechanical work as a hobby and Im just looking for a new project to undertake. Right now I'd like to buy a cheap/blown jeep 4.0 engine (without owning a jeep yet) and stroker it and basically get more into engine work with the goal of eventually swapping the engine into an XJ. Im familiar with most tools and have a selection of standard power tools and air tools but the one thing I have never had any exposure to is welding. Im renting a house currently so Im limited to a 110v power source but I do have an enclosed garage. Would my best bet be to just go with a cheapo harbor freight stick welder or is it worth it to pony up for a nicer mixed use welder like one of the many offerings from miller/ esab?
Im sure the text of this post will tell yall who have experience welding that I know exactly noting about welding.

And just so I dont give anybody an aneurism- Ill probably start with learning lawnmower and motorcycle engines before I try to buy and fix/stroker a 4.0

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have limited knowledge, but MIG welding is mostly what I did. Pretty easy to start as it works with thicker metals, but welds wouldn't win any awards. TIG give a better weld, and works with more metals.

You could go flux core. But that is more for iron where stick welding can work in aluminum.

It might be worth it to see how much welding you might do. And perhaps better just to pay someone until you get a feel for how much use you will get.

Good luck and have fun

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Welding is a valuable skill, but not one often used in engine work. Chassis repair or rust repair, sure.

Fact is, any engine block or head needing welding on is scrap metal, not worth your time. Especially Jeep 4.0 which are plentiful and tough as an anvil.

Stick and MIG both have advantages or use cases where one is better than the other. That said, for 120v power source a small MIG is a nice tool. You can run it with flux core or add on a gas bottle. Gas gives a cleaner weld generally speaking with less spatter than flux.

I can’t really comment on the newest generation of Chinese welders; I have a Miller and it’s still going strong although it’s old enough to vote.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a washer and dryer right? Just get some good SO cable and make a extension to the garage. Your wife might not be able to use the dryer but you will be welding with a smile lol. I have used a 110 might welder for a lot of years did everything I need to just over heated when you used it for a long period of time.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the input so far!
@Travelin Ram i guess I could have clarified a bit more- the welding would be something I learn parallel to rebuilding the engine so that when both are solid I can buy a junker xj and drop the engine in and then I’d hopefully be able to work with whatever condition the xj is in and be able to weld as necessary while building the xj

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a fun project, I think the XJ is one of Jeep’s best products ever.

I was actually planning to restore one myself a few years ago, but finding a good body was damn near impossible. I settled on WJ instead because I got a great deal on an almost perfect body. I enjoy the mechanical and fabrication parts of a build but I have zero interest in body and cosmetic work.

OP
OP
healthyrx

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a fun project, I think the XJ is one of Jeep’s best products ever.

I was actually planning to restore one myself a few years ago, but finding a good body was damn near impossible. I settled on WJ instead because I got a great deal on an almost perfect body. I enjoy the mechanical and fabrication parts of a build but I have zero interest in body and cosmetic work.
Right there with ya on that! This summer I "built" a TJ for my brother- Built as in installed lots of bolt on parts and gave it a complete overhaul- lots of fun but I didnt touch any body stuff

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
XJ’s are excellent to work on. Owned 2. The 4.0 is a great engine. Ran one all the way up to 255k in a ZJ when I sold it. No failures except piddly stuff.
I too have challenged myself on mechanical work over the years. I enjoy it immensely. My tools keep growing as well.
I find myself addicted to certain YouTube channels…Rainman Rays Repairs should keep you full of confidence building entertainment!
I wish I was confident enough to install my Eaton TruTrac, but I’m skittish. Paying for that install next week unfortunately.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Im relatively mechanically inclined and I'd like to think that im smart enough to learn new skills. I want to get more into mechanical work as a hobby and Im just looking for a new project to undertake. Right now I'd like to buy a cheap/blown jeep 4.0 engine (without owning a jeep yet) and stroker it and basically get more into engine work with the goal of eventually swapping the engine into an XJ. Im familiar with most tools and have a selection of standard power tools and air tools but the one thing I have never had any exposure to is welding. Im renting a house currently so Im limited to a 110v power source but I do have an enclosed garage. Would my best bet be to just go with a cheapo harbor freight stick welder or is it worth it to pony up for a nicer mixed use welder like one of the many offerings from miller/ esab?
Im sure the text of this post will tell yall who have experience welding that I know exactly noting about welding.

And just so I dont give anybody an aneurism- Ill probably start with learning lawnmower and motorcycle engines before I try to buy and fix/stroker a 4.0
I've got a TJ engine I might let go for a reasonable price. Came out of a 2001. Was running when I pulled it 12 months back. Low compression at 194k. Pm me if interested.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I was confident enough to install my Eaton TruTrac, but I’m skittish. Paying for that install next week unfortunately.
Tia a smart man to know your limitations. Better than getting in over your head & then bringing your truck to your mechanic on flatbed with a box of parts!

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

A stroked 4.0 in a Jeep has always sounded like the best way to make more power but from my research it’s more problematic. Take my advice with a grain of salt. Don’t have a stroked Jeep so what do I know.

I will use my YJ as an example. You are looking at a new 4.2 crank, rods, pistons, cam (flat tapped), new bearings and machine work. Next the heads need attention. Some years are prone to crack. Make sure you pick the right casting. Your heads will need to be ported. Why do all this and not increase air flow. Could go high flow aftermarket heads. Edlebroch is nice but 1200 is a lot. The numbers start going up from here.

The computer is the problem. Specifically the yj uses obd1 and the computer is impossible to break. You need an adjustable map that no one sells anymore. Computer has history of overwriting itself putting you back to square one.

All said and done, you will be sitting at around 240 hp maybe. Factory is around 198 hp for the high output I believe. Lot of work for 42hp. My advice is to start researching LS swaps. Fink a junk yard motor and have it machined. Build from the ground up. So many, parts are plentiful and cheap. You can buy an unlocked computer for less than $1,000 or go full holly for $2,000. Buy and weld new motor mounds. Need a rad, bell housing adaptor if you’re keeping the trans. You will be pushing 300 to 350 horses with gobs more torque. This setup is way more reliable than a stroked 4.0.

As for a welding machine, buy a cheap duel voltage and practice, practice, practice. I paid 200 bucks for my tig Yeswelder. I got a tig vs mig to teach myself patience. Figure if I can master stick and tig, will save my coins and get a good mig setup later.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buy a good MIG like a Millermatic 140. Last place you want to cheap out is the welder.

They always come up on FB marketplace for dirt cheap.

I weld body panels to frame patches with it. Just run a dedicated 120V 20amp plug.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
miller140 couldnt weld pop cans together. miller215 can do any jeep related stuff and it stick welds

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963