Looking to get "serious" with performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Howdy all, especially those who may remember me, considering it's been a while since I've even poked around here. It's been a pretty busy year of doing...well, pretty much nothing, LOL. This "nothing" has however resulted in me squirreling away a bit of the green stuff (no, not the "get high" stuff, Iowa hasn't legalized that yet) and after a bit of thinking, I've decided against juicing up a third gen Firebird that I picked up earlier this year and instead fix/sell it and pour some "fun" money into the ole Ram instead. I'm happy with the tuned OEM setup but I think it's time to take things to the next level.

I'm thinking of nabbing one of those Hughes Airgap intake manifolds and bolting it onto a pair of Indy MA-X heads with 2.02 valves. Haven't quite decided on a cam yet. I've sent an inquiry to HiPoTek on the matter and hopefully I'll receive a response. I don't necessarily have an aversion to just using an OEM cam, especially since I don't think it's quite as "bad" as many make it out to be, especially if one bolts on a set of Harland Sharp 1.7's. Just checking to see how green the "greener" pastures could be.

Think I can at least match factory 5.7 Hemi power with this setup?

I'm also looking around for a place to rebuild the axles with 4.10 gears. The rear axle's getting a bit noisy so I figure to nab two birds with one stone.

Also, has Pepper slapped that blower on his yet? Maybe I can set up my truck to run with his before he completely blows us all away, LOL.

Nysm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Howdy all, especially those who may remember me, considering it's been a while since I've even poked around here. It's been a pretty busy year of doing...well, pretty much nothing, LOL. This "nothing" has however resulted in me squirreling away a bit of the green stuff (no, not the "get high" stuff, Iowa hasn't legalized that yet) and after a bit of thinking, I've decided against juicing up a third gen Firebird that I picked up earlier this year and instead fix/sell it and pour some "fun" money into the ole Ram instead. I'm happy with the tuned OEM setup but I think it's time to take things to the next level.

I'm thinking of nabbing one of those Hughes Airgap intake manifolds and bolting it onto a pair of Indy MA-X heads with 2.02 valves. Haven't quite decided on a cam yet. I've sent an inquiry to HiPoTek on the matter and hopefully I'll receive a response. I don't necessarily have an aversion to just using an OEM cam, especially since I don't think it's quite as "bad" as many make it out to be, especially if one bolts on a set of Harland Sharp 1.7's. Just checking to see how green the "greener" pastures could be.

Think I can at least match factory 5.7 Hemi power with this setup?

I'm also looking around for a place to rebuild the axles with 4.10 gears. The rear axle's getting a bit noisy so I figure to nab two birds with one stone.

Also, has Pepper slapped that blower on his yet? Maybe I can set up my truck to run with his before he completely blows us all away, LOL.
Just regearing the truck will match the stock power of the Hemi. They were both similar in power ratings when new, but Dodge has ALWAYS been horrible when gearing the trucks. Just the heads and intake with a nice set of headers will give you all the power you will need.

What size tires are you planning on running? My truck has 35" and I'm running 4:56. Its amazing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I havent Yeret lol. Still just bolt-on. Im building a spare block to swap in before that.

Currently the new block is stripped, have Eagle i-beams and forged Wiseco flat-topped pistons with 5cc valve reliefs, stock crank, edelbrock heads and a decent cam all waiting. Have billet main caps on the way and then it'll all be ready to go to the machine shop basically. Im also going to be swapping to an airgap manifold instead of the 2bbl m1 so i can run a 4bbl throttle body (already have) and gain some clearance for my Extreme Velocity elbow. Hopefully in about a year I'll have the setup running NA and the following spring boosted.

But enough about me. The Indy hesds vs EQs will come down to budget. Eddies are much more expensive and kind of a waste of dough without more compression or a power adder so good choice there. With a manifold and heads you can make pretty good power with a stock cam but considering you'll pretty much require tuning to take advantage of that you might as well do a mild cam while you're at it. Harland Sharp 1.7s are about $450 new and a cam is less than $400 though has a few other complications. Really depends how far you want to go. If you decide to stick to stock cam, i myself would probably opt for the 1.92 valves because too large of heads CAN make it slightly lazy. I don't forsee that necessarily with these but you're not really giving up any flow in the cams lift range and you can save a few bucks that way.

Longtubes would also help and you can get a set from ProTuningLab (i know, hear me out) rather cheaply. They're surprisingly good quality ESPECIALLY for what they're charging

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Gears as mentioned above does a lot. 4.56s and 285s is fun and with our transmissions having a 0.69:1 overdrive you don't really see the rpm increase like people complain about. Rpm does increase but even for highway driving it's totally daily-able

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heres what I,m going to use on my truck . I am just getting started on mounting the throttle cable and tv cable. Then I need some custom fuel rails. 1505422029983.jpg 1506019591896.jpg

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Heres what I,m going to use on my truck . I am just getting started on mounting the throttle cable and tv cable. Then I need some custom fuel rails. View attachment 150074 View attachment 150075
Nice. That looks like a Speedmaster or Holley setup, prob 1000cfm. I picked up a Holley 1000cfm myself. Less total airflow than i could've gotten from an f&b 58mm throttle body for the 2bbl m1 and porting the neck to fit but the 4bbl setup clears better even if you have like a 1 inch spacer for a better entry angle.

The difficult part is the cable setup for them though. I got lucky and got in on Todd Ognibene's sale of 4bbl throttle brackets. That should make it significantly easier for me

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Gears as mentioned above does a lot. 4.56s and 285s is fun and with our transmissions having a 0.69:1 overdrive you don't really see the rpm increase like people complain about. Rpm does increase but even for highway driving it's totally daily-able

Since I converted to your 2nd gen 46re trans, I’ll x3 the gears. I had 3.92’s in the back with stock size 33” and since the 46re gear ratios are absolute crap, the 4.56’s made a big difference. Not as much as I would like because it basically put me back close to the 545rfe gearing I had before. Rpms at 60mph is right at 2000, 2350 at 70mph

I Bleed Ram Trucks

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its all Mopar parts I have here. Who is this Todd Ognibene you speak of.The cable setup is the only thing stopping my install. I have it mocked up on the bench now, as you can see the fuel rails interfere with the lincage. Also a 1/2" spacer will work fine. Its the mounting tabs on the rails that are causing me greif. 2 of them are in the wrong spot to secure them down. I may be able to cut them off and tig weld them back on. And a Merry Christmas to all.

1506019921458.jpg

1506019592730.jpg

View attachment IMG_20170917_151842.jpg

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Its all Mopar parts I have here. Who is this Todd Ognibene you speak of.The cable setup is the only thing stopping my install. I have it mocked up on the bench now, as you can see the fuel rails interfere with the lincage. Also a 1/2" spacer will work fine. Its the mounting tabs on the rails that are causing me greif. 2 of them are in the wrong spot to secure them down. I may be able to cut them off and tig weld them back on. And a Merry Christmas to all.

View attachment 150082

View attachment 150083

View attachment 150084
One of the Dakota RT guys. He's the guy who made my blower brackets as well. Had his local machine shop do a run of em.

Im going to be using Hipotek rails so i shouldn't have much of a problem with contact either