Looking to Trade up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
I've been in the process to trade in my 18' CCSB CTD for a new model has 4,300miles and the dealers are offering laughable trade value. Anyone with similar experience?

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't have a personal experience trying to trade a truck in but whenever a new generation of truck is released the value of the previous generation noticably decreases, so it's not surprising that dealers aren't willing to pay much. I personally always sell my vehicles on the private market to get more value out of them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Better offer selling private. You lose 10k the second it leaves the lot. I know your pain even more so I have a 18 1500 cc express and its sitting over 45k miles already actually glad I leased it because trade in is like 22k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Soon as you drive it off the lot you take a huge hit in value. Trying to trade a truck with that few miles is kind of crazy. You will not get anywhere near what you "think" it is worth.... Even on the private market.

OP
OP
Killerb

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Totally understand depreciation on a new vehicle when I drove it off the lot however $24,000 off MSRP in less than a yr is unacceptable!. Considering the local dealers inventory is considerably more for a lot less truck.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Many dealers will give you laughable values, no matter what you do. Sometimes you just have to drive far to a dealer that treats you properly, or as others state here, sell private party. Personally, I drive far and find the right dealer. With everyone being so sue happy these days, and wanting everything for nothing, I would rather not deal with the general public when it comes to car sales.

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had looked to trade my 2017 Ram. Had one dealer offer $25500 for my trade but they wouldn’t come down on their truck. I walked out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
all they need is one person to trade in with that deal, they cash in. Unless they make a deal, never trade in. Always sell outright.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better offer selling private. You lose 10k the second it leaves the lot. I know your pain even more so I have a 18 1500 cc express and its sitting over 45k miles already actually glad I leased it because trade in is like 22k

Sure hope you priced in some major miles on the lease, otherwise you're going to get killed on mileage penalties when you hand it back in. Most of the default leases on RAM's only assume 10k miles per year.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sure hope you priced in some major miles on the lease, otherwise you're going to get killed on mileage penalties when you hand it back in. Most of the default leases on RAM's only assume 10k miles per year.
It was a 45k mile lease total needless to say its parked lol.

E-rok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can still buy brand new leftover 18 CTDs for ~42k, thats why.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all they need is one person to trade in with that deal, they cash in. Unless they make a deal, never trade in. Always sell outright.

Just factor in the states that have sales tax trade in credit. If you get $30-40k for your trade in, that's 30-40k less you get taxed on. In our state sales tax is 8% or up depending on your county (saw OP is from Painted Post, not sure if he's from NY as well?). That's what always gets me trading in, I can't get enough privately to make up for that tax credit and the hassle of selling privately vs trading in.

However, if I lived in a state without the trade in credit, I would absolutely sell privately.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I live in a state with the trade-in tax credit, and share your sentiment on that.

There is another issue with selling privately. That's whether or not there is a lien on the vehicle. I'd rather not buy from a private party if they're still paying on it. I know I'm not alone in saying that I don't like the extra hassle of having to wait for the title after paying the seller, or going through an escrow. Either way is a hassle. Sellers usually have to settle for less in those instances, which makes it not worth the bother as a seller.

OP, I went through a similar experience with my 2017 Rebel. Book value on it was $36.5k according to NADA, but the local dealers I went to all told me they would only give me $32.5k. I'm not willing to take that kind of loss so I decided to keep the Rebel (for now). But eventually I will upgrade to a HD, and know I'll take a hit when I trade it in.

OP
OP
Killerb

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
I just find it rather humorous for the sticker prices of these new trucks nowadays and the lowball trade offers its no wonder why dealer's get such a bad reputation..

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just find it rather humorous for the sticker prices of these new trucks nowadays and the lowball trade offers its no wonder why dealer's get such a bad reputation..

I agree! I decided that I am going to keep mine until it is paid off. Then I will either trade or sell it.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a 45k mile lease total needless to say its parked lol.

Am I understand this correctly? Is it a 3 year , 15k mile per year lease and you maxed out your mileage after give or take one year?

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
NOT a good time to sell.End of the year with HUGH rebates going on with the 2019 models.Keep what you have.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're in an '18 Cummins Turbo Diesel that is 7 years newer than my truck, and you're just not happy.

Good luck getting any sympathy from me! Lol.

I don't think the problem is your truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel