Loose oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Twice during my ownership of my 16 5.7 I discovered the oil filter loose. The first time was after the dealership changed the oil. I towed a travel trailer 2400 miles to Florida and back and when i went to change the oil myself and found the filter spinning freely. I was amazed it didnt leak. Now I’m in Florida again and found oil spots beneath the truck and stressed as heck about it. I saw oil dripping from the filter and was able to tighten it about a quarter turn. This was after going to a pennzoil 10 minute place. I rarely do that. So now after going through this twice I wonder if it’s a characteristic of the truck. Going forward I’ll make it a point to check for tightness every so often. It’s most likely mechanic error but wonder if anyone else goes through this with their 5.7?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Nope. When I let the dealership change it, it was gorilla'd on and a complete PITA the first time I changed it. I properly tighten it and it's not worked itself loose.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No issues with my 2014.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Lube the gasket properly
and make sure the gasket surface is clean

If you go to a lube mechanic and you leave with a loose filter thats one thing but for it to habitually happen, that’s something else altogether.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only time I have ever had a problem was when I had a brain dead moment, did not tighten fully. But that was not on my truck, on my riding mower. I have never had it happen personally but have read horror stories from PPL going to garages or quick places. Heck, a "close" Walmart, failed to torque in the drain plug, which worked loose, dumped the oil and burned up a motor. BUT I have not read ne where of it being a mechanical problem on the Hemi Motor, or any other I can remember.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
EVERY time I've taken my truck to the dealership, the filter is loose and starts to leak. I don't think it's a problem inherent to the truck, but to the lube techs that are putting the filters on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There has been a couple of these, do a forum search. I'm not sure what the cause could possibly be other then the threaded post. If it is that loose, I'm not sure if anti seize would work.

OP
OP
P

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies all. I figured it was the tech. I just wanted to see other potential issues. Going forward if I don’t do it myself I’ll check everything for leaks and tightness the moment I get home.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Thanks for the replies all. I figured it was the tech. I just wanted to see other potential issues. Going forward if I don’t do it myself I’ll check everything for leaks and tightness the moment I get home.
That's exactly what I've had to do. I normally do my own changes, but when I let the dealer do it, I check the filter before I leave the lot or as soon as I get home.

dmcent63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
‘16 Express 5.7L. I’ve done every oil change with the exception of the first four covered under the original service warranty and have never had an issue.

Spamcan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
So, how would one "safe" an oil filter? Why..... with a stainless-steel screw-type hose clamp and an attached stainless cable/wire tied to some fixed nearby part of the engine (if it's mounted on the engine), of course! Like safety-wiring a canon plug on an aircraft, so to speak. Might also consider doing the same to one's oil drain plug, too. (drill a small hole latterally through the head of the drain plug and secure to a nearby drilled hole in the outer edge of the flange of the pan using .32 stainless wire.) Look up safety-wiring on YT and see how it's done.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Or one could simply research a quality local service shop instead of going to quickie lube and dealerships. Local service shops are always more highly rated for quality of service by independent ratings such as Consumer's Checkbook, Car Talk, Consumer Reports, etc.

From my experiences, I concur. I no longer go to dealerships. Had a disastrous experience @ a Dealer. Never did go to quickie places.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
We used to go to the local CJD dealer but 4 times in a row on 3 different vehicles had loose oil filters after an oil change. There were many other issues too but in my case it was derelict technicians. My wife is a teacher at a vo-tech school and that dealership hired one of her 10th grade students as a mechanic on co-op. We no longer go to that dealership and haven't had an issue since

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
So, how would one "safe" an oil filter? Why..... with a stainless-steel screw-type hose clamp and an attached stainless cable/wire tied to some fixed nearby part of the engine (if it's mounted on the engine), of course! Like safety-wiring a canon plug on an aircraft, so to speak. Might also consider doing the same to one's oil drain plug, too. (drill a small hole latterally through the head of the drain plug and secure to a nearby drilled hole in the outer edge of the flange of the pan using .32 stainless wire.) Look up safety-wiring on YT and see how it's done.
did the safety wire on the oil plug before and had the dealer service the next change instead of using safety wire they used a nylon plastic like glue stick they burned onto the plug and tail of it to the pan it lasted until my next change. never found out what it was but it worked.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Twice during my ownership of my 16 5.7 I discovered the oil filter loose. The first time was after the dealership changed the oil. I towed a travel trailer 2400 miles to Florida and back and when i went to change the oil myself and found the filter spinning freely. I was amazed it didnt leak. Now I’m in Florida again and found oil spots beneath the truck and stressed as heck about it. I saw oil dripping from the filter and was able to tighten it about a quarter turn. This was after going to a pennzoil 10 minute place. I rarely do that. So now after going through this twice I wonder if it’s a characteristic of the truck. Going forward I’ll make it a point to check for tightness every so often. It’s most likely mechanic error but wonder if anyone else goes through this with their 5.7?
Yes, my 2016 has done this off an on for a couple years now. All changes done by dealer. We've even had it on the lift, with me looking under it as well. They say the housing is fine. Last change 6 months ago, and now in the last week, it's started spotting the driveway again, from the top of the filter. I"m going in next week for its next scheduled change, and I'll have them take a look again. Filter doesn't seem loose, at least, I can't spin it by hand. It's always been a mistery as to why and when it will do it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, my 2016 has done this off an on for a couple years now. All changes done by dealer. We've even had it on the lift, with me looking under it as well. They say the housing is fine. Last change 6 months ago, and now in the last week, it's started spotting the driveway again, from the top of the filter. I"m going in next week for its next scheduled change, and I'll have them take a look again. Filter doesn't seem loose, at least, I can't spin it by hand. It's always been a mistery as to why and when it will do it.
Have them check the nipple the filter screws onto.There was a rumour floating around awhile ago,about some trucks having a short nipple mistakenly used on some trucks.Not saying it's your issue,but worth at least having them check the nipple for tightness if nothing else.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01