Loose Rocker arm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok to start normal ticking sound out of my 2015 Ram 3.6L. Replaced all rocker arms drivers side. Knowing I was going to do the pass side in a week or so. 10 days later found nice weather to get this done. Replaced all 12 rocker arms on the pass side. One was just getting slack in it, had not even touched the cam.
Torqued down everything and left it over night. Ran out of daylight and was getting cool out. So today I get out there to finish up the job. Though I will recheck the torque. And I did, then though I will just check all the rocker arms to make sure there all tight. Well all but the front one top side is loose. Checked the adjuster its the same height as the others. Even swapped out the adjuster and new rocker arm to a different valve. Still that one is loose.
If the cam lobe is not pushing down on the arm. I can remove this rocker arm with the caps torqued down. Any thoughts on what may be the issue?
180,000 miles on the engine.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Hope this isn't a stoopid question, but could that one cam lobe be worn down? I've seen it on old Chevys.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If the problem is following where ever you put the rocker arm, I'm thinking it's an issue with this particular rocker arm?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Have you started it? Aren't they hydraulic? Need some oil pressure to extend the lifter would be my guess.

OP
OP
T

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope this isn't a stoopid question, but could that one cam lobe be worn down? I've seen it on old Chevys.

Nope its good, will know tomorrow. But fear I have a broken valve seat. That I broke when putting pressure on the rocker arm like you see people do on you tube. Learned my lesson the hard way. Do the job right, shortcuts can bite big time.

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
How could you break a valve seat by applying pressure to a rocker arm?

OP
OP
T

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How could you break a valve seat by applying pressure to a rocker arm?
Not sure and will know more when I can get deeper. But looks like the head is busted around the valve. Going to get a light on that spot. Then get bore scope on it, and know for sure. But the valve will pop up and make the rocker arm tight.
Roll the engine over and it pops back loose again. Would be nice if its something else. As I sure don't look forward to pulling that head. Front of engine and oil pan I think comes off.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you started at the wrong end of the pushrods Bud.

OP
OP
T

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you started at the wrong end of the pushrods Bud.

Not sure how I could do that? Being the rocker arm only goes on one way. And had put 23 on, no issue. Then the last one and #24 messes up. But I will go back and see if I can find the pushrod in this engine. :D

I did look at it a little closer. Don't think what I was seeing is a cracked spot on the head. But thinking the valve spring is not sitting on the keeper and valve right.
Will know more Friday, as I will remove the cam Friday. Then be able to see everything clearer that way.

I'm thinking more along the line of the spring being the issue. Sure be nice to not have to pull that stinking head. Its as much fun working on. As this 2001 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police bike is.

OP
OP
T

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Valve is sticking, cam turns 90 degrees then valve will pop back up? So sounds like the head is coming off. I guess the valve stem bent when popping the rocker arm on.

OP
OP
T

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No need for pictures. Today went back out to go deeper into the issues. Found that the valve was working like it should. So make the wrong choice, put it back together.
Fired it up and ran perfect. Quite and perfect, no noise . Then shut it off checked all the items to make sure all looked good.
Hit the key and it turned back over and ran good. Walked out front and the rest is not good.
Heard this lite knocking, before I could get to the switch. That knocking got louder! Hit the key to stop the engine. That's when that sound of contact happened. That sound we sure don't want to hear out an engine.

Will run the bore scope down and see if I have a messed up piston. May have well turned into a whole engine now. Rain the next 2 days. Might get around to checking the piston out Monday or Tuesday.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure how I could do that? Being the rocker arm only goes on one way. And had put 23 on, no issue. Then the last one and #24 messes up. But I will go back and see if I can find the pushrod in this engine. :D

I did look at it a little closer. Don't think what I was seeing is a cracked spot on the head. But thinking the valve spring is not sitting on the keeper and valve right.
Will know more Friday, as I will remove the cam Friday. Then be able to see everything clearer that way.

I'm thinking more along the line of the spring being the issue. Sure be nice to not have to pull that stinking head. Its as much fun working on. As this 2001 Kawasaki KZ1000 Police bike is.
What I meant was that it was more likely a cam/lifter issue than a rocker arm issue.Or possibly a broken valve spring.

OP
OP
T

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I meant was that it was more likely a cam/lifter issue than a rocker arm issue.Or possibly a broken valve spring.
I agree and was just kidding..
Will tear into it tomorrow. Find out what I almost know happened. That valve stuck and let the rocker arm come off. But how much damage it done will not know until I get in there.
Had a buddy tell me being it was moving again. It should be good and I was dumb enough to try it. Would have been better to have pulled the head. Fixed it and been done with it.