Lose Suspension Follow-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
Hey all. I posted my issue about my lose steering back in December but haven't been around to follow up as I do some contract work that takes me away for some time. Anyway my 93 W350 has extremely lose steering that no one can figure out. The latest scoop I got was regarding the Spool Valve inside the steering pump. Apparently the spring is too soft and continuously allows fluid to pump through. I'm told there was once a kit to replace the spring to fix the problem but the local dealer knows nothing about it. Anyone ever hear of this issue and know of a kit or other means to correct the problem?

While away I left my rig with a friend that manages a tire and suspension shop and he tried adding shims which only made the issue worse. Would the tire size or tread pattern cause my lose steering problems? They're stock size but a little more aggressive than highway tires.

I've replaced the gear box and pump so far. I also have the problem of no return to center at all.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
returning to center is generally mainly in the alignment. a hair toe in generally what you need to make returning to center easy and almost automatic.

never heard of a weak spring in the steering box. how are the bearings on the front axle? it is about the only thing left that i can think of that wasn't mentioned in the previous thread you posted about this. and for future reference you should have posted in your old thread since it was about the same issue so we don't have to go searching to see what things have already been suggested.

OP
OP
93W350

93W350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Turbo
Thanks for the reply crazzywolfie. I'm fairly new to this forum posting and I couldn't figure out how to post new rather than replying to my own post. EVERYTHING in suspension checks out great. Nothing lose components wise. My buddy added additional shims for a total of 7.5 degrees and it's much worse. Taking them out today. I'm told by everyone around here that the dodges have a slightly lose steer compared to other makes (such as my F250 Superduty) but this truck feels way to lose. It's scary to drive. I guess my only option left is to try and find an aftermarket pump and see if it makes a difference. Summit Racing has one but they can't tell me if it's the same as factory or modified.