Losing oil and coolant.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2005 hemi 4x4 I’m having an issue with it losing oil and coolant but there is no leaks and no weird smelling or looking exhaust. Had anybody else had this issue? Thanks in advance.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I assume you checked the oil already and it looks normal not milky? also Mileage? some oil loss is expected its a old truck how much are you burning? As for coolant if you can not find a leak put some dye in the system another thing to check is you pass floor wet? 3rd gens prone to bad heater cores.

OP
OP
J

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Correct oil looks fine mileage is 194k. It would burn almost all the oil in 3-5k if I didn’t keep an eye on it. And the coolant I typed off just a few days ago and when I got the oil changed this morning they said it was almost empty. Passenger for board is dry.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Oil doesn't magically disappear from the crankcase. It either leaks out or burns off.
Finding out which will determine your repairs.

OP
OP
J

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know and like I said there are no leaks. So it must be burning. Are my rings bad or is it burning somewhere else. What do I need to check?

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As far as you coolant. Check the cap, if it is not on correctly or old you can loose coolant.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When the engine is cold and has sat for a day or so, crack the oil drain plug loose, but do not remove it.

Loosen it just enough that it starts to slowly drip.

Watch the drip.

You will see pretty quick if you have coolant in your oil.

Best of luck on getting it sorted out.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you overheated it at all, being with that many miles, I can see you using oil but not that much, have you done, cooling system pressure test, compression test and a leak down test, that will tell you the condition of your engine and cooling.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to see compression test numbers. Heater cores don't leak oil but bad head gaskets can.
Heater cores dont leak oil heater cores leak coolant if your floor is dry then it wont be it. Also you should pick up a block tester they are cheap you will be able to tell if there is exhaust gasses in coolant/bad heas gasket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks for all the tips. I’ll get it to a shop(my friends house) ASAP to see what the problem is. We’ll check all these things, and I’ll report back!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Correct oil looks fine mileage is 194k. It would burn almost all the oil in 3-5k if I didn’t keep an eye on it. And the coolant I typed off just a few days ago and when I got the oil changed this morning they said it was almost empty. Passenger for board is dry.

Obviously, you do not keep as close an eye on the vehicle fluids as that vehicle requires. You know you got to watch it, yet it was almost empty at last oil change.
If there is no leaking, which you would notice on the ground that much oil and anti-freeze lost, then it is burnging both of those fluids through the Compression chamber.

Being it is both anti-freeze and oil, my first suggestion would be Heads, head gasket or valves are leaking or a combination of all three.

The top end of the motor can be repaired but, with those miles, all that is going to do is blow out the low end.

At this point, either do a complete rebuild, get a long block from somewhere, or pick up a junk yard engine and slap it in there.

Whichever way you go, every fill up, check your fluids !

Good Luck and no matter which waya you go, there are plenty of folks on this forum who have done the swame are more than willing to answer any questions.

OP
OP
J

Johnbrown8907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Obviously, you do not keep as close an eye on the vehicle fluids as that vehicle requires. You know you got to watch it, yet it was almost empty at last oil change.
If there is no leaking, which you would notice on the ground that much oil and anti-freeze lost, then it is burnging both of those fluids through the Compression chamber.

Being it is both anti-freeze and oil, my first suggestion would be Heads, head gasket or valves are leaking or a combination of all three.

The top end of the motor can be repaired but, with those miles, all that is going to do is blow out the low end.

At this point, either do a complete rebuild, get a long block from somewhere, or pick up a junk yard engine and slap it in there.

Whichever way you go, every fill up, check your fluids !

Good Luck and no matter which waya you go, there are plenty of folks on this forum who have done the swame are more than willing to answer any questions.
I’ve considered a swap, but I was considering a newer 6.4 hemi or a 5.9 Cummins but I think of I did either of those I would need to do whole drive train. Any thoughts on either of these?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I’ve considered a swap, but I was considering a newer 6.4 hemi or a 5.9 Cummins but I think of I did either of those I would need to do whole drive train. Any thoughts on either of these?
FYI to put a 5.9 CTD in a 1500 would take a lot of work, mods along with $$$ to beef up the front end to be able to hold the weight of that engine then the rest of the frame would also need to be beefed up....