Lost a tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
This is why I do all my own maintenance. I made the comment on the other forum about doing it yourself so that you know its done right and got bashed for it. Not saying that there is fault here but it is one thing that you can rule out first if you handle these things yourself. Most people say that they don't have time or that they have better things to do. I work a regular job with plenty of OT and I still find time to take care of it myself.

im with you, im busy but i do it all myself, ill take my wheels off my truck and to a shop to get new tires and then ill put them on myself

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Happened to me about a year ago. Didn't re-torque my lugs. Probably 2000 km after I had them off. Thought I had a flat until my wheel passed me on the highway. Had to crawl into the bush in the snow to get it.

These were re-torqued about 200 miles after they were first done. But I agree most people don't do this.

i had someone who tried to steal my wheels once cause this, they apparently started to take off one wheel and got spooked, and left me with loose lug nuts, and i was in your shoes, it was in my old 2nd gen with stock wheels, just throwing another option out there

Oddly enough this is close to what the tech thought except he asked if I had pissed anyone off lately.

This is common. Shops (even some bad dealers) will just use an air tool and hammer them on until they are way over spec. With the HDs especially I would also check the torque again after about a week of driving. I think Ram even recommends this.

OP, that is scary as F though. Especially while towing. Good thing it didn't end up worse.

RAM does recommend it after 200 km's I think. And yes it could have ended up MUCH worse.

This is why I do all my own maintenance. I made the comment on the other forum about doing it yourself so that you know its done right and got bashed for it. Not saying that there is fault here but it is one thing that you can rule out first if you handle these things yourself. Most people say that they don't have time or that they have better things to do. I work a regular job with plenty of OT and I still find time to take care of it myself.

If it was me who bashed you for it please except my apologies. I agree with doing your own maintenance. Everyone is busy, but are you should never be to busy to look after your own safety? I know I'm not. I'm not placing fault at anyone feet in this case. The tires were installed 3800 miles ago at the dealership, they were torqued to spec according to the dealership, they were re-torqued a short while after again by the dealership and verified by myself when I got home after the re-torque. Over a year later (3800 miles I know I don't drive it much) the tire comes off. Maybe they were over torques at the factory because that's the only other time those lug nuts had eve been touched, and they finally had enough but that all just speculations.

In the real world I place this under the title of "$hit happens". This cost me several thousand dollars but in the gran scheme of thing my wife and I are fine, and the tire never hurt anyone else or their personal property. I mean you hear all the time about people being killed by tires that come off, at least I don't have to go to bed thinking about that.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These were re-torqued about 200 miles after they were first done. But I agree most people don't do this.

Oddly enough this is close to what the tech thought except he asked if I had pissed anyone off lately.

RAM does recommend it after 200 km's I think. And yes it could have ended up MUCH worse.

If it was me who bashed you for it please except my apologies. I agree with doing your own maintenance. Everyone is busy, but are you should never be to busy to look after your own safety? I know I'm not. I'm not placing fault at anyone feet in this case. The tires were installed 3800 miles ago at the dealership, they were torqued to spec according to the dealership, they were re-torqued a short while after again by the dealership and verified by myself when I got home after the re-torque. Over a year later (3800 miles I know I don't drive it much) the tire comes off. Maybe they were over torques at the factory because that's the only other time those lug nuts had eve been touched, and they finally had enough but that all just speculations.

In the real world I place this under the title of "$hit happens". This cost me several thousand dollars but in the gran scheme of thing my wife and I are fine, and the tire never hurt anyone else or their personal property. I mean you hear all the time about people being killed by tires that come off, at least I don't have to go to bed thinking about that.
Awesome answer! In the end its all about the safety of mine,your's and everyone else's loved ones getting where they need to go without having to worry about whether someone other than myself did the right thing or not.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with the guys saying "Not Torqued". I watch when they put my wheels back on. Most shops install with an impact wrench turned down with low pressure so not to warp a rim. Then, they go back and torque. I bet they missed that second step on the OP's truck.

There's a reason Discount Tire shops have waiting rooms with picture windows looking into the bays...

TXCOMT

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
This is common. Shops (even some bad dealers) will just use an air tool and hammer them on until they are way over spec. With the HDs especially I would also check the torque again after about a week of driving. I think Ram even recommends this.

OP, that is scary as F though. Especially while towing. Good thing it didn't end up worse.
Dealerships man :banghead: I had a 13 express that I put r/t takeoffs on. Went in for service they rotated tires and didn’t notice that the r/t stock rubber is directional. I pointed out that it was done wrong. They said oh sorry we don’t use these tieres so tech is not used to it. I said they’re FRIGGIN STOCK R/T WHEELS AND TIRES.

dj9098

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi V8
Different tire, while camping 2 months ago my spare tire decided to drop off the cable from under the bed, rusted clean through.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Be leery of any tire shop that uses torque sticks. Torque sticks are to be used with a reduced torque impact wrench and they are not intended for doing the final torquing of wheel nuts.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I'm with the guys saying "Not Torqued". I watch when they put my wheels back on. Most shops install with an impact wrench turned down with low pressure so not to warp a rim. Then, they go back and torque. I bet they missed that second step on the OP's truck.
ya can crank that impact up, use a star pattern and warping will never happen.

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well She is done, I pick it up tonight.

Run down of what was done due to loss of tire.

New rotor
New studs
New rim
New tire
New TPMS]
Tire mount and balance
New center cap (hub cap)
Axle verified for trueness (not bent)
All tires verified for torque.
Front tire studs visually inspected (determined good this is on the bill)

Optional maintenance done

Replaced studs on other rear tire (made me feel better)
Brake caliper slide pins lubricated (all four, they were due)
Oil change (was originally going in for this the next day but arrived one day early due to the incident) LOL!
Shift pin recall
Water pump recall

Total cost out the door just short of $3000 (taxes in)

Still to be done.

Plastic trim over fender opening to be replaced and painted ($500)

Trailer fender flair and skirting to be replaced ($1200)

Since we decided not to go through insurance as this would have been counted as an at fault accident which would effect my insurance rates about the same as the total cost we decided not to take the hit on my driving record. The things still to be done are simply cosmetic, so we decided to spread the cost out. Plan to pay off the mechanical repair to the truck, then repair the RV right before we put it away for the season, once that's paid for we will repair the fender trim and paint during the winter while the truck is not used.

This could have been much worse. We are just glad the tire didn't hit anything else and no one was hurt. I guess maybe I'll start verifying my lug nut torque every time I move the truck, seems like the only option to minimize the risk of this happening again. If it wasn't the torque don't know what else I could do.

On a side note, I kept the broken studs, one of the lug nut I found on the road with the other side of the stud still in it and the studs from the other rear side that I changed on spec. I work in the air industry and have the ability to have the broken and good studs inspected by the same people that do aircraft crash investigations. We'll see if there are any indications that something is wrong with the studs or not. Should be interesting to see the results.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyone ever have this happen or ever hear of it happening? This past Monday on my way back from the campsite with my 13 K fifth wheel attached my rear right tire on my 2014 3500 truck decided it didn't want to go home with us. It sheared all 8 studs off at 100 km/h (60 mph) to say the least the nest 600 yards or so were interesting. There was no warning or wobble/vibration before hand, just the truck dropped and the tire was gone. All in all the truck handled really well.

Just trying to figure out if this is an isolated incident or is there a problem with the studs?

View attachment 136729

View attachment 136730

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyone ever have this happen or ever hear of it happening? This past Monday on my way back from the campsite with my 13 K fifth wheel attached my rear right tire on my 2014 3500 truck decided it didn't want to go home with us. It sheared all 8 studs off at 100 km/h (60 mph) to say the least the nest 600 yards or so were interesting. There was no warning or wobble/vibration before hand, just the truck dropped and the tire was gone. All in all the truck handled really well.

Just trying to figure out if this is an isolated incident or is there a problem with the studs?

View attachment 136729

View attachment 136730
I'd say the wheels were not torqued enough, and over time just loosened off

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Be leery of any tire shop that uses torque sticks. Torque sticks are to be used with a reduced torque impact wrench and they are not intended for doing the final torquing of wheel nuts.

Not entirely true. Torque sticks are a great tool if they’re used properly. Some guys think they can just ram it on forever with a torque stick, it’s still possible to over torque with a torque stick. They need to be checked every now and then to ensure they’re still working correctly. We all use them at my dealer for the most part and never had any issues. Only issues we’ve had is new guys forgetting to tighten them at all. Personally my torque sticks are accurate within 5-10ftlbs. Checked against a torque wrench every now and then.

TXFireMedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
giphy.gif

definitely could of been worse lol
This could have been much worse. We are just glad the tire didn't hit anything else and no one was hurt......

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^That makes me sick to my stomach...and I just ate!

TXCOMT

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont know if you had aluminum rims or not but lug nuts on aluminum rims will back off. I got new tires on a truck with eagle alloy 058s on it one time and drove to work (45mins one way) and home the next day and was fine. Day two I drove to work and had a coworker come back in from his lunch break and said “ hey, you know your missing three lug nuts on your front PS wheel?” Went out and checked and sure enough 3 out of the 7 (it was a 7 lug f150, they do exist) were gone. I checked the other four on that wheel and they werent even finger tight. It was so close to being bad. If I had drove another 1/2 mile that wheel would have been gone probably. I checked the other 3 wheels and I bet at most they were 40-50 ft lbs.

After some research after that incident I learned that lug nuts will back off on aluminum rims. Anytime I had the wheels off for any reason after that, I carried a torque wrench with me and checked torque several times for the first week or so and they would always be a little bit loose the first few times I would retorque them. Then I would check them sporadically. I never trusted aluminum rims after that. Or rather, any rims for that matter. I am gun shy of them now and check them quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I dont know if you had aluminum rims or not but lug nuts on aluminum rims will back off. I got new tires on a truck with eagle alloy 058s on it one time and drove to work (45mins one way) and home the next day and was fine. Day two I drove to work and had a coworker come back in from his lunch break and said “ hey, you know your missing three lug nuts on your front PS wheel?” Went out and checked and sure enough 3 out of the 7 (it was a 7 lug f150, they do exist) were gone. I checked the other four on that wheel and they werent even finger tight. It was so close to being bad. If I had drove another 1/2 mile that wheel would have been gone probably. I checked the other 3 wheels and I bet at most they were 40-50 ft lbs.

After some research after that incident I learned that lug nuts will back off on aluminum rims. Anytime I had the wheels off for any reason after that, I carried a torque wrench with me and checked torque several times for the first week or so and they would always be a little bit loose the first few times I would retorque them. Then I would check them sporadically. I never trusted aluminum rims after that. Or rather, any rims for that matter. I am gun shy of them now and check them quite often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard this many times before, but never had it happen. I do all my own maintenance and use a torque wrench. Set to proper torque I've never had a wheel,aluminum or otherwise loosen up after I torqued it to spec. Same with antisieze. I've been putting it on lug studs for years and it really helps the studs last. However it's against inspection code because using it supposedly will cause lug nuts to loosen, yet after 30 plus years of spinning wrenches, some of that time professionally, ive never had that hsppen. either it's not an issue or I'm just dang lucky!

Take your time, use a torque wrench, use the proper tightening pattern and triple check the torque on each lug nut before you go to the next wheel. I torque them in a pattern to spec, then right around the circle 3-4 times to ensure I have them all and then go to the next wheel. Just what I do but I've never had an aluminum wheel loosen up after I installed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
376steve