Lost control of everything.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gerry Sudman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi e-torque
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn purchased new in Feb. 2600 miles. Drove to the store, locked up by pushing the button on the door handle. Was in the store about 30 min. Came out, grabbed the door handle to unlock, nothing happened. Tried several times with no results. Used the key to unlock the door and of course the alarm went off and couldn't get it to shut off. Tried to start the engine and got message "Key fob not detected". Bought and installed a new key fob battery with the same result. Only things I could get to work were the folding mirrors and the retracting running boards. (All lights seemed to be working.) Discovered that the doors would unlock and lock using Uconnect on my phone. Remote start would not work. Tried to contact emergency services, that would not work. After about 1 - 1/2 hours in 98 degree heat I gave up and called for a tow service. About 2 hours later the tow company showed up. I decided to try opening the doors again and they opened as they should. I then tried starting the engine which did start. Now everything appeared to be operating normally. Drove to dealership service department and determined they were stumped. Now am going to try it for a few days to see what happens, but have lost confidence. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does it have start stop? Lots of issues with it. I had a very similar thing happen with my wifes Pacifica and its apparently becoming a big issue. The aux batteries die for no reason or milage.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine wasn't that far off the chain but on occasion I get a message key phob can't be read an truck wont start radio won't work. Push the start button a 3nd time an it starts every time.
It's happened maybe 4 times. By the 3rd time I was waiting for a message on the screen to say "In order to start your vehicle you owe us $500 in Bitcoin".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Gerry Sudman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi e-torque
It does have start/stop. I hope this does not start a pattern.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just to set the record straight, there have not been lots of issues with start/stop. I have no way of knowing whether or not your issue is related to the etorque system, but it's inaccurate for anyone to say that there have been lots of issues with it. Just like any other system in these trucks, there can be problems with it. People generally create a new thread because they are having a problem with something. And some of those threads have been about the etorque system. That in no way means that there have been lots of problems with it.

I have only read one other thread where someone had a similar problem the OP had. It was in another 5th gen forum. I don't remember what the resolution was though. It's been a couple years.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve never seen the key fob not detected alert. I likely would have tried to pull the fuses associated with the controlling systems and/or tried a battery disconnect before calling for a tow. Not sure if that would have helped though. If there are no codes indicating an issue - I’m going to surmise the dealership will not be able to reproduce the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We have a 2016 Toyota Highlander and I have seen the fob not detected on that car a few times. All I have ever had to do is take it out of my pocket and it starts everytime. Have not had it happen on the Ram.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Always try disconnecting the battery and waiting a few minutes. It may not work every time for everything but since everything is controlled by electronics its the same as turning off your computer and restarting it when something goes wrong.
This is good advice. I would add that when you disconnect the battery, don't expect everything to work right away. Depending on which options and model you have, some systems can take hours to reset, so you may have some warning lights for a while. They should all clear up after a few hours.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Just had almost the same issue happen with 2019 Ram Laramie. Only not quite as sudden as yours. Truck would do odd things for about a week, like 4wd would be on for no reason would turn it off all normal. then on another separate trip a few days later no fob detected for no reason. Then on another trip a few days later tow/haul would engaged while driving and I would turn it off then back on and I would turn it off several times while driving on this one trip. Truck ran and started perfectly not been in shop for any thing. Then next day it would not start at all battery dead, battery charger showed battery was charged when I hooked up charger! So Took charger off put battery cables back on the truck started normally with all gauges going nuts! Radio would not work, 4wd would not work, back up cam Would not work, but all else such as shifting, running, etc. worked so I drove it to the dealer, they ran test on battery, claimed it was fine kept it over night and battery went dead on them, they replaced battery under warranty and no more issues since. Been about two weeks ago or so no more problems. This truck has Start/Stop also with never an issue. The Rams are very picky and weird about the batteries!

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does it have start stop? Lots of issues with it. I had a very similar thing happen with my wifes Pacifica and its apparently becoming a big issue. The aux batteries die for no reason or milage.
What?

grubin648

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve hAd issues with my 19. I now have a 21. With the 19 every time I had an issue electronic I disconnect the battery and it rebooted… yes some issues will take a bit to reset but it will get you going. I strongly suggest video issues to prove your not crazy

with my 21 I have when the doors are unlocked my left ram box will open automatically. I videotaped it will go to the dealer next week

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve hAd issues with my 19. I now have a 21. With the 19 every time I had an issue electronic I disconnect the battery and it rebooted… yes some issues will take a bit to reset but it will get you going. I strongly suggest video issues to prove your not crazy

with my 21 I have when the doors are unlocked my left ram box will open automatically. I videotaped it will go to the dealer next week

Great advice on the video - easy to do with smartphones these days.

With regard to your rambox issue - are you saying the rambox literally opens - versus just unlocking? Sounds like the mechanism needs to be replaced.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hope you are able to get it cleaned up well,and to get the smell out.sorry about your luck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

There is a TSB for that. I saw it in another 5th gen forum. Pretty sure it involved replacing the wire harness for the affected rambox lid. Something about water damage.

Edit: Here's what I could dig up after a quick search of that forum...

Rambox lid popping open TSB.JPG Rambox lid popping open TSB 2.JPG

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Sorry to hear about this vehicle concern regarding your vehicle locks and Rambox @grubin648. Sounds like a very frustrating scenario! When you decide to visit your dealer, let our team know. We would love to assist with the aid of a dealer appointment. Send us a private message with some additional context regarding your concerns to start!

And @Gerry Sudman should any additional vehicle concerns arise in the future do reach out to our team via private message as well.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins

I understand this is a known issue. Requires replacing the latch harness on the drivers side box. There is a TSB out on it I believe.

EDIT - I see it was already addressed. I guess I didn't read far enough down the thread. I'll move along

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Great advice on the video - easy to do with smartphones these days.

With regard to your rambox issue - are you saying the rambox literally opens - versus just unlocking? Sounds like the mechanism needs to be replaced.

That's what I was thinking... The Ram Box, I thought, was activated by pressing a button in on the box itself.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hope you are able to get it cleaned up well,and to get the smell out.sorry about your luck.
I see what you did there... :happy175: