Lost my full view of backup camera on 12" Uconnect screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkksat13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins diesel in my new 2500
Okay, just took delivery 2 weeks ago of a brand new 2021 Laramie 2500 diesel with surround camera, backup camera, park sense, every camera available. When I put truck in reverse, the entire 12" screen would be the backup camera. It worked that way until a couple days ago. Now when I put in reverse it has the backup camera on the top and the "controls" screen on the bottom half. I want my full screen back. There hasn't been any updates to the Uconnect either as I have the most current software. I know I was playing with settings, as you do when you get a brand new truck, but WTF very frustrating. The only thing I read online is that when you hit the "soft" key for the camera, a full screen should display. I just want it the way it was when I picked it up. Any suggestions out there? Thank you!

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I have a 1500 with the 12” screen…..
I don’t ever remember being able to get full screen for reverse camera?
That would be good!
How WERE you able to get it up?
Sorry I can’t help though.
What do you mean by ‘soft ‘ key for camera? I would like to try and see if I can do it and maybe help out.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are you presented with the Backup Camera soft key as the fifth button on your screen? If so, did you press it? I've never had full screen backup. Relevant info shown below. I'm presented with the Cargo/Trailer Reverse Guidance soft button.

1639351550613.png

OP
OP
M

mkksat13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The backup camera is my 6th soft key. When you touch it, it should be a full screen, but it's not. It has the "controls" on the bottom half of screen showing. When I backed my new Ram out of the dealer's lot, I had full 12" rear camera view and it was this way until a couple days ago. My next option is going to find out how to reset the entire Uconnect system so it returns to factory settings.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The backup camera is my 6th soft key. When you touch it, it should be a full screen, but it's not. It has the "controls" on the bottom half of screen showing. When I backed my new Ram out of the dealer's lot, I had full 12" rear camera view and it was this way until a couple days ago. My next option is going to find out how to reset the entire Uconnect system so it returns to factory settings.
So, to clarify, are you saying that when you first got the truck, the backup camera took up the entire 12” screen as highlighted in the picture below? If so, that was some kind of glitch, and not normal. I’d be curious to see what that even looked like. Think about the aspect ratio of the image if it took up the entire screen. One of two things would have to happen to the image:
Either the image would be stretched for height (like a circle would be a tall oval), or the image would remain unaltered, and be zoomed in with the sides cropped out.
2FA7712C-7C88-4123-A1DE-C81DE298BA20.jpeg
The image in the above pic is exactly what is intended to show up when you put the vehicle in reverse. Then, from there, you can choose the rear view image to the right of the blue selected rear image, and you’ll get a wide angle cross path view, or you can press the backup camera soft key, and you will get the image pictured below, where you can zoom in on the trailer hitch.
667CDAEC-8C90-4006-BD9F-66EE3C99686E.jpeg
Those are normal rear view images, and a full height image covering the entire screen would have been a glitch/not normal.

OP
OP
M

mkksat13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those images are what my camera look like now. When I got the truck it was the entire full screen, which was really sweet. Distortion was not a factor because I believe the aspect ratio was the same regardless if small or large. It was great.

Bub8461

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the same exact problem that Mkkstat reported, full screen rear camera was working fine for over a month - since I bought the truck. Now it’s only 1/2 screen - any idea on how to get the full screen backup camera functionality back?

OP
OP
M

mkksat13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't been able to figure it out yet and it sucks. The full view was the best and I believe should be the norm.

Bub8461

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Agreed - did you take your truck to the dealer for this issue? Are they telling you it was an update and the full screen is no longer available? I think it’s a bug - my full screen went away .when I had connected my IPhone through the USB

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the same exact problem that Mkkstat reported, full screen rear camera was working fine for over a month - since I bought the truck. Now it’s only 1/2 screen - any idea on how to get the full screen backup camera functionality back?

I haven't been able to figure it out yet and it sucks. The full view was the best and I believe should be the norm.

Agreed - did you take your truck to the dealer for this issue? Are they telling you it was an update and the full screen is no longer available? I think it’s a bug - my full screen went away .when I had connected my IPhone through the USB
I don’t know any other way to explain better what I already did above:
The backup camera being half screen IS normal. They will NEVER….EVER….purposely make it so it is full screen.
When the camera was somehow at full screen on the 12” screen, THAT was a bug, glitch, not normal.

Phil347

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got my Ram 2022 1500 Sport.
Camera was showing Full 12" screen for back up, now it only shows a half screen with the other wasted on icon! WTH
The whole reason I went with this model was to get the big screen.
How do I get it back to full size?

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_130132735_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230323_130132735_HDR.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
M

mkksat13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ditto!! It came new from dealer with a full screen. It’s crap I have to see 1/2 screen now. Would love to have a solution.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I wouldn't be surprised if what you guys are experiencing is an over the air update that took the full screen away.
I'd be upset too, because now it's basically an 8.4 screen with soft keys for controls instead of buttons and knobs. Kind of pointless for the "upgrade". You get the look without the function of 12" plus all the inherited other problems with the 12".
Maybe someone that has the full screen camera function upon delivery, can check to see the software version and compare it to what you guys got.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't be surprised if what you guys are experiencing is an over the air update that took the full screen away.
I'd be upset too, because now it's basically an 8.4 screen with soft keys for controls instead of buttons and knobs. Kind of pointless for the "upgrade". You get the look without the function of 12" plus all the inherited other problems with the 12".
Maybe someone that has the full screen camera function upon delivery, can check to see the software version and compare it to what you guys got.

And, if someone who still has the fullscreen behavior would be good enough to capture a picture using their phone and post it here, then everyone will have some evidence that the feature did exist. :cool:

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
And, if someone who still has the fullscreen behavior would be good enough to capture a picture using their phone and post it here, then everyone will have some evidence that the feature did exist. :cool:

I concur. We must rule out a case(s) of a mistaken occurrence during the euphoric experience of accepting a new RAM delivery. :]